PDA

View Full Version : Black Swans

pandora
30th December 2015, 06:40 AM
As the year draws to a close I've reached a certain point in life where I can see that Depression in the Elderly (http://www.helpguide.org/articles/depression/depression-in-older-adults-and-the-elderly.htm)is largely an awakening
to the realization that one's world has suddenly moved on with dear friends departed like black swans in the night.

It brings to mind one of the most poignant poems I have ever read, Black Swans (http://www.middlemiss.org/lit/authors/patersonab/poetry/blackswans.html) that has always moved me
as I hear in its poetic form the rhythm of beating pinions on a star bright night - birders should love it.

But back to depression, or perhaps if you will, melancholia of which A.B. ( Banjo) Paterson's (http://www.theguardian.com/books/australia-culture-blog/2014/jan/30/banjo-paterson-poet-anniversary)
penultimate verse in particular expresses best what I've been feeling lately.

There are folk long dead, and our hearts would sicken --
We would grieve for them with a bitter pain,
If the past could live and the dead could quicken,
We then might turn to that life again.
But on lonely nights we would hear them calling,
We should hear their steps on the pathways falling,
We should loathe the life with a hate appalling
In our lonely rides by the ridge and plain.

http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/500/Black_Swans.jpg (http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/87936)

Beagletorque
30th December 2015, 08:24 AM
Not sure I can say anything to help. I got chased by a Black Swan at a national trust property not so long ago down in Kent. I managed to get very close as he was feeding in a grassy field. Suddenly he was hissing and came at me, I ran backwards as fast as I could but tripped, fell back and came home with whiplash and mild concussion. Thankfully my photographic equipment came away unscathed. Never trust a Black Swan.

The wise ones live in the present, the young the future and the old in the past, it's all a question of perspective and photographers have the edge!

Jim Ford
30th December 2015, 09:29 AM
Many years ago (very many!), Kew Gardens had black swans. There was a notice warning of their aggression. I think that probably black swans, like mute ones, are all 'mouth and trousers'!

Jim

Wee man
30th December 2015, 09:46 AM
Read Black Swan twice, very deep.

pandora
30th December 2015, 08:51 PM
Not sure I can say anything to help. I got chased by a Black Swan at a national trust property not so long ago down in Kent. I managed to get very close as he was feeding in a grassy field. Suddenly he was hissing and came at me, I ran backwards as fast as I could but tripped, fell back and came home with whiplash and mild concussion. Thankfully my photographic equipment came away unscathed. Never trust a Black Swan.!Many years ago (very many!), Kew Gardens had black swans. There was a notice warning of their aggression. I think that probably black swans, like mute ones, are all 'mouth and trousers'! Jim
As a young boy I rode my bike through a farm and was attacked by an irate goose that gave me a nasty bite on the leg - it sure had a big mouth and at that age I was still in short trousers!

@Andrew - A year or two back some woman in the Blue Mountains, I think, was having her photograph taken with her back to a cliff, and guess what ...!

The wise ones live in the present, the young the future and the old in the past, it's all a question of perspective and photographers have the edge! Profoundly true. *yes

Thanks Ed, it's a very visual poem, isn't it. We have more than a sense of humour in common.

raymondo
30th December 2015, 09:25 PM
Hi Mark, I am sorry to hear that you are feeling a bit down at present, at 80 years old you have lived through some really good times and you must have some fantastic memories of friends,family and loved ones that have passed over, try to turn your sad thoughts into happy positive memories, you are still around, to live to be 80 years old is a privilege denied to many,I hope your depression passes quickly and your equalibrium comes back very soon, you take care mate and stay positive and happy for many many more years to come

pandora
30th December 2015, 10:28 PM
It's good to hear from you Raymondo and thanks for that advice which I take on board. I know that I'm by no means alone in facing the Black Dog that most of us must come face to face with sooner of later. I am fortunate to have survived this long without medications or having had to undergo surgery of any kind at any time in my life, aside from laser surgery to remove cataracts ten years ago, so I have many blessings and good memories to count.

The first link in my opening thread was recommended to me for reading by my GP and it has been of enormous help in understanding the condition and the steps one can take to overcome it naturally, without anti-depressants (over my dead body!)

Beagletorque
30th December 2015, 11:02 PM

Please Sir, please sir, I did read it too, not twice though....:p

OlyPaul
31st December 2015, 10:03 AM
Loverly poem Mark and sorry to hear you are depressed as someone who is constantly in deaths shadow let me offer some advise,live each day as it comes an treat it as a blessing and enjoy it.

It is not the length of life that counts but how you have lived it. :)

The only other thing I can add is a black swan taken with the E-1.
http://www.pbase.com/paulsilkphotography/image/160538284.jpg

Mrs T
31st December 2015, 07:04 PM
Hi Mark,

The black swans at Dawlish, Devon remind me of the last time I was with my grandparents so happy memories for me of times with them and the family on the English Riviera. You've had a tough time, but you strike me as a hardy soul so hang in!

Amanda

Jim Ford
31st December 2015, 07:44 PM
IIRC the black swans have a contentious position at Abbotsbury.

The guide stated that they weren't wanted there, but they couldn't cull them. He (jokingly?) said that anyone was welcome to take them away!

Jim

Imageryone
31st December 2015, 09:50 PM
After last year, I can feel for you, Mark, wish I could be there to chat.

All I can add is something to maybe help, maybe not, but it is this:-

Older age is not a time to think only of the past, although this is an important part of any lifetime, it is time to anticipate and enjoy what today may bring.

I came within one hour of leaving this mortal coil in July, but, thanks to some wonderful medical care, I am now able to return to work and enjoy the company of family and friends again, long may that state of affairs endure.

Small things make up an enjoyable life, and most of your posts have done that for me over the past months, given me insight to places and food I will never experience for myself, so to you and all the team who helped me get through those painful days, thanks and let's try to think positive? :):):)

pandora
1st January 2016, 12:50 AM
Loverly poem Mark and sorry to hear you are depressed as someone who is constantly in deaths shadow let me offer some advise,live each day as it comes an treat it as a blessing and enjoy it.
It is not the length of life that counts but how you have lived it. :)
The only other thing I can add is a black swan taken with the E-1.
]
Thanks for your kind thoughts, Paul. I am very aware of how fortunate I amnot to have something more serious, such as Alzheimer's or cancer, such as a number of my friends have. I'm taking this state of mind as a very temporary condition and have already taken the first steps that lead out of it.

Love your Black Swan too btw, the plumage on its neck has such a soft lovely texture.

Take care of yourself too, Paul, and don't worry too much about that old shadow of death bit. Regardless of faith it's hard to believe that one just ceases to exist.

A thought just occurred to me; a Black Dog may have been more apt than a Swan!

Hi Mark, The black swans at Dawlish, Devon remind me of the last time I was with my grandparents so happy memories for me of times with them and the family on the English Riviera. You've had a tough time, but you strike me as a hardy soul so hang in! Amanda
Hi Amanda - I suspect that I may have given the impression that my state of depression is more serious that it is. Based upon an initial 10 question questionnaire my GP assessed me as having medium level depression, i.e. it comes and goes and I find it interesting rather than debilitating.

IIRC the black swans have a contentious position at Abbotsbury. The guide stated that they weren't wanted there, but they couldn't cull them. He (jokingly?) said that anyone was welcome to take them away! Jim
I wonder what they would taste like baked? If you could conjure up a few recipes you could start up a nice little business perhaps!, Jim :D

After last year, I can feel for you, Mark, wish I could be there to chat. All I can add is something to maybe help, maybe not, but it is this:- Older age is not a time to think only of the past, although this is an important part of any lifetime, it is time to anticipate and enjoy what today may bring.

I came within one hour of leaving this mortal coil in July, but, thanks to some wonderful medical care, I am now able to return to work and enjoy the company of family and friends again, long may that state of affairs endure.

Small things make up an enjoyable life, and most of your posts have done that for me over the past months, given me insight to places and food I will never experience for myself, so to you and all the team who helped me get through those painful days, thanks and let's try to think positive? :):):)
I appreciate your input, David and it's good to hear that you found a way out of what in some cases would feel like being in a labyrinth, I imagine.
In view of my own events of the past six months I'm treating feeling "blue" as a normal and appropriate response, like a bad dose of flu in winter.
With regard to "Positive Thinking" (http://horne.vplp.org/2012/09/the-folly-of-positive-thinking-selling.html), I'm afraid I'm a sceptic! *erm *susp

Floribunda
1st January 2016, 02:57 AM
I think you "hit the nail on the head" Mark in alluding that it is probably quite natural to have "blue" periods, especially after the death of a loved one.
All part of the grieving process and I hope you move on quickly.
It is, as we get older, a challenge to deal with health problems and to see loved friends aging and coping with their problems too.
I have been blessed with an optimistic nature, and it is a true blessing.
I consider every day a privelege and look forward to what I can pack into the days ahead, however many or few they may be.
My mother suffered from depression all her life and it is hard on the family.

On a lighter note I have had no encounters with angry swans, but my daughter was leaning on a fence in a wildlife park when she was about 5 years old, and bitten on the bottom by an emu. Necessitated a trip to the emergency dept. and provided our family with an oft-repeated story which plagues her to this day. :)

pandora
1st January 2016, 06:27 AM
I think you "hit the nail on the head" Mark in alluding that it is probably quite natural to have "blue" periods, especially after the death of a loved one.
All part of the grieving process and I hope you move on quickly.
It is, as we get older, a challenge to deal with health problems and to see loved friends aging and coping with their problems too.
I have been blessed with an optimistic nature, and it is a true blessing.
I consider every day a privelege and look forward to what I can pack into the days ahead, however many or few they may be.
My mother suffered from depression all her life and it is hard on the family.

Before reading your much valued comment (above) I replied to your post on my *2016* Happy New Year from Downunder thread which I hasten to say was not in any sense intended personally but to question the efficacy of so called "positive thinking" of which my old friend David is a great protagonist, so the topic has been relevant with regard to repairing my own state of mind.

It is well that you are blessed with an optimistic nature, Lyn if it helps you manage adversity in your life, and from what you say it certainly does keep the old Black Dog at bay.

For myself I have decided to dust off the easel, break out the oils and resume painting again - I have literally thousands of dollars worth of unopened studio sized tubes of Winsor & Newtons oils in the virtual attic (wardrobe top shelf!), all just as good as the day they were bought about 45 years ago. I have also decided to catch up on reading - I think the last book I read was probably, Boys Own!

Barkly
1st January 2016, 06:39 AM
Mark - my thoughts are with you and I trust you pass through the blue into the sunshine.

pandora
1st January 2016, 07:06 AM
Thanks Terry - and without trivialising your kind thoughts, there's a little too much sunshine over here on the plains at present.

Floribunda
1st January 2016, 08:04 AM
Before reading your much valued comment (above) I replied to your post on my *2016* Happy New Year from Downunder thread which I hasten to say was not in any sense intended personally but to question the efficacy of so called "positive thinking" of which my old friend David is a great protagonist, so the topic has been relevant with regard to repairing my own state of mind.

It is well that you are blessed with an optimistic nature, Lyn if it helps you manage adversity in your life, and from what you say it certainly does keep the old Black Dog at bay.

For myself I have decided to dust off the easel, break out the oils and resume painting again - I have literally thousands of dollars worth of unopened studio sized tubes of Winsor & Newtons oils in the virtual attic (wardrobe top shelf!), all just as good as the day they were bought about 45 years ago. I have also decided to catch up on reading - I think the last book I read was probably, Boys Own!

I guess optimism and positive thinking are closely related Mark.

I was happy to read about your return to painting. We should use our talents and enjoy them. I am struggling to draw a stick man so am envious of your skill. :)
I do most of my reading on the iPad these days. Kindle books are great.

pandora
1st January 2016, 08:36 AM
I do most of my reading on the iPad these days. Kindle books are great.

I am most interested in Kindle, Lyn, something which as yet I know nothing about or how it works. Am I correct in assuming that a Kindle Reader is a piece of hardware like an iPad, and can you access any book ever written? Is there a time limit on how long the book stays on the reader before it's withdrawn. etc., etc., ...? I often hear the system referred to on ABC RN's Book Reviews. And most important of all, how much does the Reader cost and what are the ongoing costs?

Beagletorque
1st January 2016, 08:56 AM
In the UK a basic Kindle is about fifty quid, the newer fancy lit one a hundred. There are plenty of free books via Amazon or if you purchase you keep them forever, in your case probably less than 20 years. :)

Imageryone
1st January 2016, 09:19 AM
Instead of " Positive Thinking ", Mark, I look for the " Up! " side, the more ridiculous the better, them I can smile instead of cry *yes*yes

Good to see you are planning to paint again, what subjects do you want to paint?

Jim Ford
1st January 2016, 10:30 AM
I am most interested in Kindle, Lyn, something which as yet I know nothing about or how it works.

The Kindle is excellent. If you read, I can't recommend them highly enough. Even my technophobic partner likes it, one of the reasons being that it's much easier to read in bed than a heavy book.

You can load all the out of copyright classics (and more) on it for free from 'Project Gutenberg':

https://www.gutenberg.org/

The excellent free 'Calibre' can be used for maintaining the library:

http://calibre-ebook.com/about

Get a Kindle - you won't regret it!

Jim

Floribunda
1st January 2016, 12:28 PM
Jim has given you good info Mark. But anyone who sells them will help. As I understand there are different grades of the Kindle reader, the cheapest not that expensive.
I have never bothered with the reader - Amazon loads them straight onto my Mini Ipad from Kindle Books. I am not sure what sort of a tablet you have these days but you may be able to do the same.

Jim Ford
1st January 2016, 12:35 PM
I find a Kindle much easier on the eyes than a tablet. A kindle will also last a month or so on one charge, against a tablet's often only hours. Basically a Kindle is charge and forget, whereas a tablet is charge and wait for it to go flat!

Jim

Floribunda
1st January 2016, 12:37 PM
I have never had that problem Jim and you can set the tablet to different shades.

Mark - go to your App Store - it will support an ap for Kindle e-books.

pandora
1st January 2016, 02:17 PM
In the UK a basic Kindle is about fifty quid, the newer fancy lit one a hundred. There are plenty of free books via Amazon or if you purchase you keep them forever, in your case probably less than 20 years. :)The Kindle is excellent. If you read, I can't recommend them highly enough. Even my technophobic partner likes it, one of the reasons being that it's much easier to read in bed than a heavy book.
You can load all the out of copyright classics (and more) on it for free from 'Project Gutenberg': https://www.gutenberg.org/
The excellent free 'Calibre' can be used for maintaining the library:
http://calibre-ebook.com/about Get a Kindle - you won't regret it!
Jim
Jim has given you good info Mark. But anyone who sells them will help. As I understand there are different grades of the Kindle reader, the cheapest not that expensive.
I have never bothered with the reader - Amazon loads them straight onto my Mini Ipad from Kindle Books. I am not sure what sort of a tablet you have these days but you may be able to do the same.I find a Kindle much easier on the eyes than a tablet. A kindle will also last a month or so on one charge, against a tablet's often only hours. Basically a Kindle is charge and forget, whereas a tablet is charge and wait for it to go flat! JimI have never had that problem Jim and you can set the tablet to different shades. Mark - go to your App Store - it will support an ap for Kindle e-books.
Andrew, Jim, Lyn - Thank you all for the advice and information which I've taken on board. My next step is to find out the differences and benefits of one Kindle reader over another and the cost.

Instead of " Positive Thinking ", Mark, I look for the " Up! " side, the more ridiculous the better, then I can smile instead of cry *yes*yes Good to see you are planning to paint again, what subjects do you want to paint?
Aside from portraiture (and horses!) I want to focus more upon landscapes, David.
The lady is Sandra, painted in 1989
http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/500/MarkArt-01.jpg (http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/87969)

Wee man
1st January 2016, 03:13 PM
Mark download the Kindle app to your phone. Download a free book and try reading, remember you will only get s small amount on your screen. This will let you know how things work. I use my Nexus 7 for reading, particularly in bed as the room light can be off and does not upset my better half whilst I set to white text on black background and text about 14 . hope this helps Ed.

Jim Ford
1st January 2016, 03:21 PM
I don't think you can in any way compare reading a book on a mobile 'phone to reading on a Kindle.

I don't know why it is, but I find that even reading on a laptop screen is nowhere near as comfortable as on a Kindle, in spite of the laptop screen being several times larger.

Most of us would rather print some text on paper and sit and read it, rather than directly from a screen. A Kindle is more akin to reading printed text in a book, rather than on a computer/mobile/tablet screen.

Jim

raymondo
1st January 2016, 07:48 PM
Hi Mark, I have a kindle, it is brilliant to read from, also you can change the text to any size that is comfortable for you, there are lots and lots of free books to choose from, a book is downloaded within seconds,whenever you purchase a book it is always cheaper than buying a paper printed book. whilst reading a book you can bookmark a page by simply touching the screen, I could go on and on, check kindle out and you will be surprised at how good they really are.

BTW are you the artist that painted Sandra and the others.

raymondo
1st January 2016, 08:00 PM
Hi Mark, I have a kindle, it is brilliant to read from, also you can change the text to any size that is comfortable for you, there are lots and lots of free books to choose from, a book is downloaded within seconds,whenever you purchase a book it is always cheaper than buying a paper printed book. whilst reading a book you can bookmark a page by simply touching the screen, I could go on and on, check kindle out and you will be surprised at how good they really are.

BTW I dont want to offend you but I think that you resemble Emanuel " Rico" Rodriguez, a cuban born trombonist who played Ska and Reggae, I know of him because he played with Jules Holland and his Rhythm and Blues Orchestra. if Rico was clean shaven and had his hair cut you could be twins, you could perhaps challenge yourself and paint a double portrait of you and him together.

pandora
1st January 2016, 09:48 PM
Mark download the Kindle app to your phone. Download a free book and try reading, remember you will only get s small amount on your screen. This will let you know how things work. I use my Nexus 7 for reading, particularly in bed as the room light can be off and does not upset my better half whilst I set to white text on black background and text about 14 . hope this helps Ed.
Thanks for that Ed, by piecing together all the snippets of info given on here, I am beginning to get an idea as to what Kindle is and how it works. I am inclined to take Jim's advice that trying to read anything on a mobile phone would prove useful. As it is I can scarcely read emails.

I don't think you can in any way compare reading a book on a mobile 'phone to reading on a Kindle.

I don't know why it is, but I find that even reading on a laptop screen is nowhere near as comfortable as on a Kindle, in spite of the laptop screen being several times larger.

Most of us would rather print some text on paper and sit and read it, rather than directly from a screen. A Kindle is more akin to reading printed text in a book, rather than on a computer/mobile/tablet screen. Jim
Thanks Jim - I am going to accept the commendation of all you most helpful guys and Floribunda, and order one online today.

BTW I dont want to offend you but I think that you resemble Emanuel " Rico" Rodriguez, a cuban born trombonist who played Ska and Reggae, I know of him because he played with Jules Holland and his Rhythm and Blues Orchestra. if Rico was clean shaven and had his hair cut you could be twins, you could perhaps challenge yourself and paint a double portrait of you and him together.

Raymondo, it sounds just right and I'm eager to get a Kindle.

Yes, I am the artist that painted all of the above 28 years ago and haven't been back to the easel since. Somewhere along the line in retirement from news and wedding photography, I found this forum instead of painting my way to fortune and fame!

I just Googled him - my resemblance to Emanuel " Rico" Rodriguez is uncanny, Raymondo - the only difference being that I don't play the trombone! I note also that he was born in 1934, the year before me and hopefully the likeness ends there for I see that he died in 2015, aged 80!

pandora
2nd January 2016, 12:06 AM
Took the plunge and got me a Kindle today.
Now the hard part setting it up ! :confused:

http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/500/20160102_103059.jpg (http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/87970)

Imageryone
2nd January 2016, 12:16 AM
Enjoy the new experience :)

pandora
2nd January 2016, 02:12 AM
BUYER'S REGRET!!!

If I ever learn to use it!

A bloody nightmare of a device.

Harder to learn than Chinese algebra!

Can't figure how to switch it to landscape mode.

I WILL PROBABLY RETURN IT FOR REFUND TOMORROW.

Beagletorque
2nd January 2016, 08:14 AM
Persist, to improve is to change , to change often is to be perfect, as Churchill said!
You've got a brain, use it, just take your time and don't get frustrated.

Beagletorque
2nd January 2016, 08:18 AM
How to read ebooks in Landscape Mode

Switching to the Landscape Mode when you are reading ebooks on your*Kindle Paperwhite*is quite easy. Just follow these following steps:

1. Tap on the*On Device*on your Kindle Paperwhite.

2. Open your ebook that you want to read in the Landscape Mode.

3. Touch the upper or bottom area of your Kindle Paperwhite until the Menu appears.

4. On the menu, select theLandscape Mode*(see the arrow on image above).

5. You are now reading your ebook in the Landscape Mode on your Kindle Paperwhite (see image below).

6. To switch back to the Portrait Mode, repeat step 3 and step 4: Touch the upper or bottom area of your Kindle Paperwhite until the Menu appears and select thePortrait Mode*(see the arrow on image below).

7. And you are now reading the ebook back in the Portrait Mode on your*Kindle Paperwhite.

Please note that this switching capability applies to reading ebooks and documents only. You are not (yet) able to switch mode when you are reading periodicals such as magazines, newspapers and blogs.

pandora
2nd January 2016, 09:02 AM
I need to try it before buying a book, Andrew. There appears to be no way of doing so.

Beagletorque
2nd January 2016, 09:04 AM
Download many for free on Amazon.

Jim Ford
2nd January 2016, 09:08 AM
I very surprised you're having difficulty (I never use landscape mode anyway)!

Jim

pandora
2nd January 2016, 09:22 AM
How do I find a free book on kindle to sample? All I see is paid ones.

pandora
2nd January 2016, 09:27 AM
I will resume my assault on the unyielding device come morning. User unfriendly. Mentally burnt out!

Jim Ford
2nd January 2016, 10:13 AM
How do I find a free book on kindle to sample? All I see is paid ones.

If you search for a classic such as a Bronte novel it will probably be free.

Jane Eyre eBook: Charlotte Brontë, F. H. (Frederick Henry) Townsend: Amazon.co.uk: Kindle Store@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31Bz5Gi7vVL.@@AMEPARAM@@31Bz5Gi7vVL

Jim

Beagletorque
2nd January 2016, 10:28 AM
Look in all Kindle books and sort by price, lowest first.

DerekW
2nd January 2016, 12:59 PM
or just request a sample of a book you might read, that way you can check out the process without incurring any cost.

WE have moved on from Kindle to iPad because the iPad editions of newspapers are better, plus you get colour images. Downside is the reflections on the screen and almost impossibility of reading the screen easily in sunlight.

If you think that you might be e-reading instruction manuals that have colour illustrations then the Kindle could be a frustrating device.

raymondo
2nd January 2016, 01:33 PM
Hi Mark, your remark about" buyers regret "made me smile, it reminded me of when I first bought my OMD EM5, from using a point and shoot camera. The kindle is not half as complicated as you think, just sit and read the instructions, give yourself time to take all information in and within a short while you will be reading a free e-book, our old brains need time to adjust to learning new fandangle technolegies, so just take it slowly,relax and enjoy the new experience

pandora
2nd January 2016, 06:12 PM
Download many for free on Amazon.Look in all Kindle books and sort by price, lowest first.
05:00 -I've slept on it, will lay siege to the bastion come dawn!
Finding freebies is the next challenge. I see no search tool as yet.

I very surprised you're having difficulty (I never use landscape mode anyway)! JimIf you search for a classic such as a Bronte novel it will probably be free
Do Amazon have a free list? ... (silly question! :rolleyes:)
In portrait mode the lines are too short, especially as I will probably need to ramp up the font size.

or just request a sample of a book you might read, that way you can check out the process without incurring any cost. .............. If you think that you might be e-reading instruction manuals that have colour illustrations then the Kindle could be a frustrating device.
A "sample" came with the kit, damned if I could make head nor tail of it, couldn't figure how to rotate it. Instructions are supplied within the device - typically tells you everything but that which you need to know! I tend to learn everything intuitively, as with PS.

Hi Mark, ..........The kindle is not half as complicated as you think, just sit and read the instructions, give yourself time to take all information in and within a short while you will be reading a free e-book, our old brains need time to adjust to learning new fandangle technolegies, so just take it slowly,relax and enjoy the new experience
Raymondo, aside from "the instructions" that is very good advice. Instructions are invariably ambiguous and omit critical info, which is why they fall into disrepute! :mad:

Beagletorque
2nd January 2016, 06:14 PM
Link Kindle to your amazon account and send stuff from the PC to it. Slightly easier....

pandora
2nd January 2016, 06:18 PM
Anyway, I daresay in time I will figure it out - I just need to read a free book to see if it works for me. *read

Beagletorque
2nd January 2016, 06:20 PM
Plenty free. Dickens Christmas Carol. Use the magnifying glass at the top.

Beagletorque
2nd January 2016, 06:24 PM
Type "Dickens " in the box and go down the bottom of the list where you will see "Dickens free Kindle books" next to a shopping trolley.

Click on it and you will go to massive a list of free Dickens, assuming you are connected to Wi-Fi!

Beagletorque
2nd January 2016, 06:26 PM
See edit above. The click on the one you fancy then click on buy for $0.00. Start reading!

Sorry for dodgy typing, I'm on the phone!

pandora
2nd January 2016, 06:34 PM
Hang on 'til I have brekkie Andrew, at 5:30AM even too hot for 'jamas! :D

I will then do as you say and see what's on offer. I like the Brontes.

Beagletorque
2nd January 2016, 06:34 PM
How to add a Kindle to your Amazon Account in 2 simple steps!

From Home, press the Menu button, and then select Settings. Select Registration.
Specify the Amazon account you want to use for your Kindle:
If you already have an Amazon account: Select this option. Enter your Amazon account information. Select Register. Your name will appear as the Registered User when registration is complete.
If you do not have an Amazon account: Select this option and follow the on-screen instructions to set up a new Amazon account.

Beagletorque
2nd January 2016, 06:35 PM
Hang on 'til I have brekkie Andrew, at 5:30AM even too hot for 'jamas! :D

I will then do as you say and see what's on offer. I like the Brontes.

Technical support is on standby! *zzz

Beagletorque
2nd January 2016, 06:38 PM
Amazon.com.au: bronte: Kindle Store

More free Jane than you can shake a stick at!

Sorry can't get that link to work....

Just click on the "All" at the front of the search bar and from the drop down list pick "Kindle Store", then search Bronte and sort by price low to high....

pandora
2nd January 2016, 06:54 PM
Wi fi on , Dickens typed in, no results found ???

Beagletorque
2nd January 2016, 06:55 PM
Try adding to your Amazon account as above ^ post #53

pandora
2nd January 2016, 07:03 PM
I have an Amazon account that was set up for me by my local store where I bought it.

Clicked "All", a list of excerpts came up under "Location" numbers ... this device gets silier and bloody sillier, Andrew!

Beagletorque
2nd January 2016, 07:04 PM
Least you have something to rotate!

pandora
2nd January 2016, 07:06 PM
I'm returning it to store for a refund. (Our consumer protection laws allow us to do that if a device is not what you expected - this one certainly isn't)

Beagletorque
2nd January 2016, 07:08 PM
Shame, once you get the hang of it I'm sure you'd have loved it!

pandora
2nd January 2016, 07:11 PM
In my book it comes under the heading, "B a s t a r d Products" ! :D

Beagletorque
2nd January 2016, 07:13 PM
My "old" uncle was exactly the same, now he wants a spare Kindle in case his stops working!

pandora
2nd January 2016, 07:17 PM
Thanks for your patience, Andrew ... but I really feel that this thing should have been made way simpler ... but then if everybody could do it then it would be "un-kewwwl" ! ! ! *mad

Will serve kindle right for making it so user-unfriendly.

pandora
2nd January 2016, 07:19 PM
Anyway, who needs a book when this thread is a bloody novelette in itself!

The best advice I can give myself is to stay with our public library (children's section! ) and browse at the local op shop for a good Zane Grey!

Beagletorque
2nd January 2016, 07:21 PM
Well around 100 million have been sold so some people have worked it out!

pandora
2nd January 2016, 07:32 PM
Well that leaves me among the 6,570,000,000 that didn't! :D

Jim Ford
2nd January 2016, 07:33 PM
Thanks for your patience, Andrew ... but I really feel that this thing should have been made way simpler ... but then if everybody could do it then it would be "un-kewwwl" ! ! ! *mad

Will serve kindle right for making it so user-unfriendly.

I'm amazed at the difficulty you're having!

I would rate the Kindle as one of the easiest electronic products to use. An Olympus camera, computer, tablet or mobile 'phone are far more complicated and difficult to use.

Jim

de88ie
2nd January 2016, 08:23 PM
Just a thought, this may help you to catch up on reading. I have discovered audio books. Wonderful when traveling on trains or buses but also wonderful to pass the time. Most helpful when needing to escape a worry or sorrow as the audio books do draw you into the story.
I rebelled at first, refusing to believe I would enjoy being read to more than reading. Then I listened to The Woodcutter by Reginald Hill, and I was hooked. I love the fact that I can be doing other activities whilst listening to a good book.
I listen to them on my phone. You can get them free to download from the library using the overdrive app. Your local library will help.
Other options include monthly subscriptions. I use audible as its so easy to use. If you can use Amazon you can use audible. If you have purchased kindle books you get the audio book at a greatly reduced price. If you look online there are half price deals for 3 or 6 month subscriptions but you can try 1 audible book for free then cancel the subscription immediately at no cost if it's not to your liking. If it is to your liking they do a daily deal, a different book every day for between £2-£3. I myself didn't realise this untill I had been a member for 8 months, oh the books I must have missed.

pandora
2nd January 2016, 08:48 PM
Thanks for reminding me of that option de88ie, I have in the past used audio books and liked them very much. I will certainly follow up on all your suggestions. *yes

pandora
2nd January 2016, 09:06 PM
I enjoyed this fabulous superbly read audiobook many years ago!

Artemis (Kydd Sea Adventures #2) by Julian Stockwin (Goodreads Author)

With Kydd, Julian Stockwin introduced us to a young wig-maker from Guildford who was kidnapped and pressed into duty with the tempestuous crew of the Duke William battle ship. Now, Thomas Paine Kydd is back -- with a vengeance -- in the latest installment of Stockwin's thrilling naval adventure series.
Artemis is the eighteenth-century crack frigate that Kydd and sea-mate Nicholas Renzi are set to sail all the way to the fabled Far East. In this great age of fighting sailing ships, Kydd's voyage promises to be a perilous undertaking. But not even shipwreck, mutiny, or a confrontation with a mighty French frigate manages to thwart Artemis and her crew. It's only when Kydd receives an urgent message from home -- one that threatens to cut short his career and trap him on shore forever -- that Artemis's real journey begins.

Filled with mesmerizing suspense and vivid details of Napoleonic-era seafaring, Artemis is classic, page-turning storytelling at its best.

...more

de88ie
2nd January 2016, 09:33 PM
That sounds like a great audiobook. Just checked and Julian Stockwins books are available on audible. Will add the author to my wish list. Thankyou.
Just to add in the u.k I pay a fixed amount £8 for 1 credit each month. I can buy any audiobook no matter how high the price, some would cost £20+ But it only costs me 1 credit. I thought it was expensive at first until a added up the cost of all the paper books I was buying. I also have a kindle and read free books.
I found YouTube a great help when trying to use my kindle. My new paperwhite kindle used to take upto 30 attempts to link with my wifi every time I tried to use it. Eventually rang Amazon and they helped me. If you have a PC and connect your kindle to the the PC using the charging cable it will tell your kindle your wifi. You should only need to do this once as your kindle should then pick up wifi no problem.

pandora
2nd January 2016, 09:55 PM
My kindle is connected to PC via charging cable and PC is tethered to GalaxyS6. I hope it will make a difference.

The kindle deal sounds great if you do that much reading.

de88ie
2nd January 2016, 10:00 PM
Fingers crossed. I didn't have to connect my phone though. I just downloaded the kindle app. When you bought it did they tell you to add the kindle to devices in your Amazon settings. If you haven't done this ring Amazon or get them to ring you. Go to Amazon and click on help. You can request a call back for free. I have found Amazon customer service to be outstanding. If you get stuck I will try to help.

de88ie
2nd January 2016, 10:22 PM
Just one more thing, If you have a book on kindle and phone you can read between all your devices. They will remember where you have read to and just carry on from where you left off regardless of which device you are using. This also works if you buy the same book on kindle and audible. You can switch between reading and listening. If you have an iPod it works as well. You just download the apps.
Have you downloaded the kindle app on your galaxy phone ?
Any device you download the app on should automatically show on your Amazon settings under devices.

DerekW
2nd January 2016, 10:57 PM
Downside of audio books is that if you doze off, the voice keeps reading, whereas with a Kindle or other reading process the pages stop turning when you fall asleep. So recovering after a nap with a Kindle process is easy - whereas with an audio book it can be a pain.

de88ie
2nd January 2016, 11:03 PM
Have to agree with this, so many times I have dozed off.
I now find it easier if I bookmark where I have last got to before reading in bed. If I doze off I can go back to bookmark and just fast forward 30 seconds at a time untill I find my lost place. Was nearly a year before I figured this out. :rolleyes:

pandora
3rd January 2016, 12:32 AM
I'm expecting a call from an expert from the store where I bought it who will try to walk me through to free books

de88ie
3rd January 2016, 01:01 AM
That's good news. Hope they can help. It really is worth persevering. Let us know how you get on.

de88ie
4th January 2016, 06:48 PM
How did you get on with the Kindle. Did the expert help?

Beagletorque
4th January 2016, 06:53 PM
Just for you! (https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/threads/just-for-you.186976/)

pandora
5th January 2016, 10:56 AM
How did you get on with the Kindle. Did the expert help?
Hi de88ie - well, the store "kindle expert" didn't show today as scheduled, so I requested and got a refund.
You may be interested to know that on the way to Melbourne on Monday I sat opposite a nice young lady on the train; a 3 hour trip.
I noticed she was absorbed in her kindle so when she took a break I told her my tale of woe and asked if she could help.
She was very obliging and spent some time on it but without success. I decided that kindle is way too user unfriendly.

I reinvested the refund in a new easel and brushes - I have literally thousands of dollars worth of W&N Oils in perfect condition;
they've been in my cupboard for about 40 years. I've devoted a section of my lounge to painting and will use my TV to paint from my photos.

http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/500/Art-1.jpg (http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/87984)

http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/500/Art-2.jpg (http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/87984)

Just for you! (https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/threads/just-for-you.186976/)
WOW, Andrew - where did you dig that up from! - nice bit of sleuthing nonetheless! *chr

Jim Ford
5th January 2016, 12:43 PM
I decided that kindle is way too user unfriendly.

I'm astonished - I find my Kindle as easy to use as a toaster!

It's a Kindle 2, which has a small keyboard and other buttons below the screen. Maybe the latest touch screen ones are more complicated to use.

To download a book from Amazon:

1) Slide the on/off switch to turn on.
2) Press 'Menu' button.
3) Using the cursor key, select from drop-down menu 'Turn Wireless On' (if it's off).
4) Press 'OK' button.
5) Using the cursor key in the same menu, select 'Shop in Kindle Store'.
6) Press 'OK' button.
7) You will then be taken to the Kindle Store where you can select and download any books, free or paid for.

To read the book:

1) Slide on/off switch to turn on.
2) The downloaded book will appear on the home screen.
3) Select the book with the cursor key.
4) Press 'OK' button.
4) You will be taken to the first page of the book.

It really is as simple as that for the Kindle 2!

Jim

Floribunda
5th January 2016, 01:04 PM
Count yourself lucky you got your money back - no wonder your techspert didn't get back to you! The store has folded. :)

Beagletorque
5th January 2016, 03:18 PM
He did seem to be painting a very complicated picture, let's hope he continues!

pandora
5th January 2016, 09:02 PM
I'm astonished - I find my Kindle as easy to use as a toaster! It's a Kindle 2, which has a small keyboard and other buttons below the screen. Maybe the latest touch screen ones are more complicated to use. Jim
Kindle2 sounds way easier, Jim. Any updated product after version2 only gets sillier and sillier.

Count yourself lucky you got your money back - no wonder your techspert didn't get back to you! The store has folded. :)I was very lucky indeed, Lyn. *yes

He did seem to be painting a very complicated picture, let's hope he continues!
But it was a masterpiece of diatribe, wasn't it? *erm