PDA

View Full Version : In praise of Zuiko

pdk42
27th December 2015, 11:27 PM
I'm referring to Zuiko the forum member (John), not the branding on our lenses!

I was just looking back on some of my posts in Foto Fair and realised that John always has a nice word to say about my photos, no matter how mundane they are. He does this for all of us from what I can see and it's a fantastic thing to do which must take time and, for some of us, perseverance.

His posts in other areas of the forum are invariably informative and interesting, whether it be photography, politics or jokes (well, maybe not the jokes bit!). Whatever he posts, it's done with courtesy and a respectful humanity IMHO.

Anyhow - not trying to brown-nose (especially since I've never met him!), but I wanted to push some praise his way. I'm a relative newbie around here so I hope this sort of post is acceptable!

David M
27th December 2015, 11:43 PM
I'll add that he's a lot more tolerant than l'd be if I was a moderator.

Wee man
27th December 2015, 11:45 PM
I would take great Delight in seconding your thoughts and agreeing with your views on our John. Ed

Simon Bee
27th December 2015, 11:55 PM
I'll add that he's a lot more tolerant than l'd be if I was a moderator.

I 'second' that David

Kind regards, Simon

Zuiko
28th December 2015, 12:16 AM
Well, thanks Paul, but now I'm blushing! :o

Imageryone
28th December 2015, 08:44 AM
Very well deserved comments :tup*clap*clap*clap

pandora
28th December 2015, 09:52 AM
Well I have to second that motion, Paul. Over the years that I've known him as a fellow forumer I have always found him just as you say. Often I've called upon him to change a thread title or ask his advice on some matter. He is highly intelligent, articulate, witty, helpful and compassionate, especially with regard to a bicycle fall I had a few months ago. He would make a very good counselor - now if you are listening John, can you offer me any advice as to how I can regain my mojo and declining libido, mate?
*super

Phill D
28th December 2015, 10:17 AM
As someone who has had the pleasure of conversing with the virtual Zuiko and the real John at a couple of forum events I couldn't agree more with this thread. I think there will be a few more well deserved blushes John before the thread ends. So don't you dare close it before we've all finished :) Or at least make sure you get a few good plugs in for your excellent book "The Light Fantastic" before you do :D, I think it's brilliant.

StephenL
28th December 2015, 01:05 PM
Having had the pleasure of meeting with John, I can confirm he is an inspiration to us all and a true gentleman. And his book is likewise.

sapper
28th December 2015, 02:57 PM
Agreed with you all, a good chap, online and in the flesh!

IainMacD
28th December 2015, 03:38 PM
I agree with all the comments so far, well done John, keep up the good work and all the best for 2016

Bikie John
28th December 2015, 03:51 PM
Me too, all the best to you, John.

Other John

PeterBirder
28th December 2015, 07:45 PM
As many will know John and I live in the same area and have been known to meet up from time to time (sadly these days less often).

I will always be greatful that membership of the E- group enabled me to make his acquaintance and to now count him as a personal friend.

Paul's sentiments and those in the subsequent posts reflect my own and I thank Paul for providing everyone with the opportunity to voice their appreciation of all that John does for us and the way in which he does it.

Regards.

Beagletorque
28th December 2015, 09:50 PM
I'll add my dob of blusher on John's check too, a top virtual bloke who is happy to spread the love and his considerable expertise FOC. Long may it continue.

Floribunda
28th December 2015, 11:16 PM
Me too. Thank you John for all you do for this forum.
You steer a steady course.

Naughty Nigel
28th December 2015, 11:31 PM
I can only echo the sentiments above.

Whilst John and I may disagree on certain matters our disagreement it is always amicable and never personal.

I particularly enjoy John's well thought out arguments, constructive comments and neutrality.

Thank you John for all that you do here. I very much hope we can meet up some day.

Nigel.

Ricoh
29th December 2015, 01:06 AM
This is somewhat like a lifetime achievement award given on SPOTY, but here, of course, it's richly deserved.
I must say I've not come across any other forum where a moderator is spoken so highly of, this must be a record!

maccabeej
29th December 2015, 07:59 AM
Agree with all of the above and he is bloody good with a camera in his hand too. More strength to you John.

cariadus
29th December 2015, 08:32 AM
I can only agree with all of the above.

http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/500/P8020002-1_800x600.jpg (http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/63985)

Naughty Nigel
29th December 2015, 06:24 PM
I must say I've not come across any other forum where a moderator is spoken so highly of, this must be a record!

That is certainly true! :)

I came here from another photographic forum. I won't name and shame but it was run by a weekly magazine aimed at Amateur Photographers. The mods there seemed to behave like Rottweilers in a scrapyard, regularly ridiculing selected forumites to provoke responses that would get them banned or suspended.

More worryingly, any negative comments made in the direction of Nikon or Canon in particular would result in an instant suspension. I once fell foul of this policy when I mentioned something about a serious lack of foresight on Canikon's part with regard to dust on sensors. :rolleyes: The fact that this particular salvo was fired from within the safety of the Olympus camp did nothing to help my defence. :D

OM USer
30th December 2015, 12:05 PM
Top notch posts and moderation. Well done John, and keep it up.

PeterBirder
30th December 2015, 02:23 PM
I think the excellent replies to this thread can be summarised by paraphrasing Gilbert & Sullivan.

"He is the very model of a modern moderateror"

Regards and best wishes for a happy and peaceful New Year to you all.*chr

ps. I always new that a Grammar School education which included a fleeting appearance in a G&S production would eventually be useful.:rolleyes:

DerekW
30th December 2015, 08:47 PM
but a GS education solve all your problems <g>

raymondo
30th December 2015, 08:51 PM
I agree with all the praise that has been posted about John, his very name on this forum ZUIKO conjures up in my mind a very powerful, wise, deep thinking, fair minded interlectual of legendary greek god status, take a bow John