PDA

View Full Version : Coincidences!

Crazy Dave
26th December 2015, 12:28 PM
Some moons ago, I had a line manager, Austrian and a really good bloke.
He called me 'the coincidence man' because, well coincidences seem to happen around me quite a lot. Haven't thought about it much recently until a Christmas card arrived from our next door neighbours - Michael and Magaret Wicks.
Some years ago, I lived next door to another lovely couple - Michael and Margaret Wicks.

Not sure what the odds are of that happening - what's your strange coincidence?

David

mstphoto
26th December 2015, 01:24 PM
Not sure if this could be classed as a coincidence but here goes.

A couple of years ago I was visiting my daughter in Belfast.
We went to a quiet back street pub and I went to the bar to get the drinks.
The guy that was in front of me said that he wouldn't be long as he had a big order.
I thought it sounded like he had an Aberdeen accent so we got talking and it turned out that he lived in the same street as my Aunt and was mates with my cousins.

I thought, what are the chances of that!!

Mike

Imageryone
26th December 2015, 01:31 PM
For all of my adult life I have had a " Doppleganger " in the local area, which, in the past, has caused acute difficulties.
The number of times someone has said " Saw you etc etc, Like the new car etc etc and , on one occasion, " hope the wife doesn't find out !"

As luck. or a good diary, would have it I have always been able to prove my whereabouts, but I wonder if he gets the same reactions ?

In all these 50 years, I have never even caught sight of him.

David M
26th December 2015, 01:50 PM
Not sure if this could be classed as a coincidence but here goes.

A couple of years ago I was visiting my daughter in Belfast.
We went to a quiet back street pub and I went to the bar to get the drinks.
The guy that was in front of me said that he wouldn't be long as he had a big order.
I thought it sounded like he had an Aberdeen accent so we got talking and it turned out that he lived in the same street as my Aunt and was mates with my cousins.

I thought, what are the chances of that!!

Mike

I'm had a few like that. Standing on a platform at Euston underground station I was stood next to someone who I'd been at school with in Cheshire. And he was living on the same street as me in North London.

Another time I was in a supermarket in Ontario and got talking to someone who used to drink in my local in North London.

Crazy Dave
26th December 2015, 02:00 PM
My Austrian colleague decided to stay in London for a month to help our start-up. Rather than stay in an hotel, he asked us to find a flat to rent. My UK colleague looked in some classified ads, found one and asked to me to have a look. I met the owner at the flat, it was suitable, I paid the rent and a damages deposit and we shook hands.

You know, he said your son and mine go to the same university. More than that, his son Richard had came by our house a number of times to give my son a lift up to Manchester.

Spooky or what?

David

David M
26th December 2015, 02:17 PM
Another time, when I was living in London my parents were down for the weekend doing the tourist thing. We're walking across a bridge over the Thames on Sunday morning and walking towards us is a friend from art school who was living in Epsom but also in London for the weekend.

Dewi9
26th December 2015, 06:53 PM
When we moved to Lincoln, Beryl and I, we found our neighbour had a wife named Beryl, and ditto next door to them. That is, three 'Beryls' in a row.

Going the other way, their son was named David (like myself), and when their neighbour died a few years after we moved in and 'new' folk arrived, the husbands' name was David .... making three 'Davids' in a row.

Made three with the same first name going up and down the road. Pretty slim chances of that happening again.

David

Pjphoto59
26th December 2015, 10:27 PM
I went to school and university, lived and worked in London but had left there in 1965.

Many moves later, in 1985 I moved back to London to take up a new job.

We arrived in the evening and were put up temporarily in a hotel in Gerrard's Cross. The next morning, we sat down at breakfast, and a good friend from school days was there. He was just staying for one night on a business trip and now lived in Stanstead. . .

We each thought the other looked "Just the same".

pandora
27th December 2015, 12:01 AM
You are downright SPOOKY, Dave ...:eek: *yes :rolleyes:

Ross the fiddler
27th December 2015, 01:30 AM
Our Mayor of the Blue Mountains City Council is Mark Greenhill (http://www.bmcc.nsw.gov.au/yourcouncil/councillors) & blow me down, there's a Mark Greenhill (http://e-group.uk.net/forum/member.php?u=1754) from Wangarratta on this forum too! :eek: :D

*chr

Kiwi Paul
27th December 2015, 06:27 AM
The last job I had in NZ, there were 4 of us on the team....... all named Paul.
It was a bit like the the Aussie skit Monty Python did where they were all called Bruce :rolleyes:

Paul

Bikie John
27th December 2015, 10:40 AM
There are a lot of Johns around my age - for years it was the most popular boys' name in England. One time at work, purely coincidentally, we had various people including me standing in for regular attendees at a team meeting. The boss, Richard, said "Who's going to start? John?". The six of us all looked at each other......

Bikie Bruce

DerekW
27th December 2015, 11:20 AM
First day at Grammar school, so a long time ago.

We were in the play ground in a loose mob of about 90 boys and had to step forward when our names were called.

"Wright " was called and four of us stepped forward

Then "Wright D" was called - three stepped forward again

Then "Wright David" was called - two stepped forward

Then "Wright Derek" was called and I stepped forward

Then the words - "I suppose you are "Wright R"" and he stepped forward.

Because we were then seated in rows by name the four Wrights were together for quite a while. We were also named by our initials - DC, DR and DS and referred to by the staff as such

One of the David Wrights was a half cousin.