PDA

View Full Version : What did Santa bring you?

Kiwi Paul
26th December 2015, 08:37 AM
I don't know how he knew what I needed but he emailed me saying I'll be getting a Dyson cordless vacuum cleaner delivered when I get back home.

Thank you Santa *chr:D

Paul

Imageryone
26th December 2015, 10:42 AM
Santa bought me a rechargeable LED worklight, just got to figger out how to fit it on the E-3 :D:D:D

PS This thing is BRIGHT, pure white light.

Olybirder
26th December 2015, 11:01 AM
I have just got my first smartphone. Unfortunately it requires a micro sim card and I rashly assumed that my tiny old Samsung phone used one of them. Wrong! It has a standard card in it. I have now got to get a micro sim card from somewhere before I can play with it.

Ron

Kiwi Paul
26th December 2015, 11:06 AM
I have just got my first smartphone. Unfortunately it requires a micro sim card and I rashly assumed that my tiny old Samsung phone used one of them. Wrong! It has a standard card in it. I have now got to get a micro sim card from somewhere before I can play with it.

Ron

Your phone service provider should give you one for free, pop into one of the outlets and they will probably set it up for you free too.

Paul

DerekW
26th December 2015, 11:10 AM
Take a look at this article. I cannot vouch for the relevance to your situation.
http://www.macworld.co.uk/how-to/iphone/trim-sim-card-so-it-fits-in-iphone-6-6s-or-ipad-air-2-3505896/?no1x1&utm_source=mw-mainline&utm_medium=email&utm_term=image&utm_content=image&utm_campaign=mw-mainline2312

If you find reference to the fruity phone company offensive - you can always wash your mouth and eyes out after reading the article.

Olybirder
26th December 2015, 12:00 PM
Thanks for the helpful replies. I am not sure if my local Vodafone branch will be open today, so I have reserved one at Argos for 1.00. We are going to collect it as soon as the bread has finished cooking. Don't ask! :)

Ron

mstphoto
26th December 2015, 01:19 PM
Whisky, whisky and more whisky!!
Just as well I enjoy a wee dram of an evening *chr

Oh, and the obligatory pair of Christmas Socks and Boxers :D

In a way, I'm glad I never got anything photographic as SWMBO would find out the true cost of photo gear ;)

Mike

Wee man
26th December 2015, 02:45 PM
Irish and Scotch & fudge, a photographic book and lots of small gifts.

David M
26th December 2015, 03:07 PM
Mine was a little late.

Stoke City 2 Manchester United 0 :D

shenstone
26th December 2015, 03:50 PM

Ron

Most mobile phone shops can punch a microsim out of a standard one, the only difference is the amount of plastic that is around the chip

They will say that it's at your risk, but we've had 2 done OK
I hope that helps

regards
Andy

Naughty Nigel
26th December 2015, 05:26 PM
Santa has been very good to me this year. One of the highlights was Joe Cornish's Northern Light calendar, which has already provided some photographic inspiration, although I haven't hung it up yet (not wanting any bad luck).

Santa also brought me a 65 mm lens for my RZ67. He had collected it specially from Japan and delivered it on Christmas Eve so I shall have to get out and use it for some of those Joe Cornish inspired shots. :)

Ralph Harwood
26th December 2015, 05:54 PM
I was lucky enough to get an XZ-2!

benvendetta
26th December 2015, 07:27 PM
Most mobile phone shops can punch a microsim out of a standard one, the only difference is the amount of plastic that is around the chip

They will say that it's at your risk, but we've had 2 done OK
I hope that helps

regards
Andy

I managed to do this myself using a template online. Scary.......but it worked.

benvendetta
26th December 2015, 07:28 PM
Got a Samsung Galaxy S2 9.7" tablet to replace my old Tab 2. Very nice.

Barkly
26th December 2015, 11:53 PM
What us Aussies call thongs with a built in bottle opener - where else.

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g289/vh-grumpy/Thongs.jpg (http://s59.photobucket.com/user/vh-grumpy/media/Thongs.jpg.html)

Ross the fiddler
27th December 2015, 12:02 AM

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g289/vh-grumpy/Thongs.jpg (http://s59.photobucket.com/user/vh-grumpy/media/Thongs.jpg.html)

Perfect! *chr (If you like wearing thongs & drink beer. ;) )

Kiwi Paul
27th December 2015, 06:22 AM

I'm offshore and the link to your picture is blocked and I know what Aussie thongs are, to wear on the feet, but the non Australasian folks are possibly conjuring up an image of a "G-String" with a bottle opener attached :eek::rolleyes::D:confused: lol

Paul

maccabeej
27th December 2015, 08:38 AM
Wacom tablet. So far it has slowed down my PP, but speeded up my Solitaire. Steep learning curve. Santa also brought a few extra pounds, unfortunately they are all around the waist😱

Beagletorque
27th December 2015, 08:52 AM
I don't know how he knew what I needed but he emailed me saying I'll be getting a Dyson cordless vacuum cleaner delivered when I get back home.

Thank you Santa *chr:D

Paul
Perhaps he saw the state of your chimney!

Beagletorque
27th December 2015, 08:54 AM

Ron
Just get the scissors out, worked for me!

Beagletorque
27th December 2015, 08:58 AM
I got a Saxophone and Cajon, my wife got earplugs!

OlyPaul
27th December 2015, 09:33 AM
Got a Panasonic 25mm f1.7 lens from the wife and kids and a 60 inch K4 TV from the boxing day sales, a late pressy for myself.:)

DerekC
27th December 2015, 10:05 AM
A new pair of Mammut walking boots and books although the other half says I have too many already. Nothing photographic related this year.

Graham_of_Rainham
27th December 2015, 10:39 AM
Kenko DG Extension Tubes & Universal vouchers towards my 40-150 + ex 1.4

Plus some wine and chocolate. :D

Ross the fiddler
27th December 2015, 11:37 AM
I think I did all right this Christmas! *yes

http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/500/MC271668-cr-s.jpg (http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/87913)

This now means with a better tripod head (the last one was still good though) I'll now have to take better photos, I'll have to read up on memories to stay more informed, get fit so I can go dancing (Scottish Country) to wear the new kilt pin & pocket watch & keep exercising to burn off the energy for each slice of that cake & take time out to sit & watch a little of Aussie culture (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Castle_(1997_Australian_film)) ( ;) ).
Yeah, I think I did OK this year. :D

*chr

Zuiko
27th December 2015, 11:45 AM
Santa has been very good to me this year. One of the highlights was Joe Cornish's Northern Light calendar, which has already provided some photographic inspiration, although I haven't hung it up yet (not wanting any bad luck).

Santa also brought me a 65 mm lens for my RZ67. He had collected it specially from Japan and delivered it on Christmas Eve so I shall have to get out and use it for some of those Joe Cornish inspired shots. :)

A classic moderate wide-angle lens on that format, about the same view as the 50mm lens on my Bronica ETRSi. I loved that lens for landscapes. When you have had the chance to take some pictures, it would be great to see them on the Nostalgia board!

In my opinion, no photographer is more inspirational than Joe Cornish when it comes to landscapes. Have you got his book, "First Light?"

Zuiko
27th December 2015, 11:58 AM
Not much money for presents within the family this year. I did get a bit of cash (which will probably be spent on my daughter :rolleyes:)and some Argus tokens. I also got some interesting jams and chutney and a CD - The Beatles 1962/1966.

Naughty Nigel
27th December 2015, 11:47 PM
A classic moderate wide-angle lens on that format, about the same view as the 50mm lens on my Bronica ETRSi. I loved that lens for landscapes. When you have had the chance to take some pictures, it would be great to see them on the Nostalgia board!

In my opinion, no photographer is more inspirational than Joe Cornish when it comes to landscapes. Have you got his book, "First Light?"

My wife gave me a copy of First Light some years ago, and I had it signed by Joe when he gave a very enlightening talk at his photographic exhibition in Hartlepool.

(We are fortunate enough to live not too far away from Joe's gallery in Northallerton. where our son did two week's work experience before deciding on his recent 'career change'.)

The book and Joe's talks have taught me a lot about the quality and direction of light, and how to use it to best advantage; not only in landscapes but in my day job too.

I often find myself viewing a landscape and thinking "I must come back here at xxxx"; whether that be a particular time of day, a time of year, or both. Similarly there have been many occasions when I have looked at a scene and decided that it wasn't worth wasting film on at that time, but was worth a return visit.

As you will know from other threads, I very much enjoy using a waist level finder for landscape photography, and somehow feel more connected with the medium this way. However, I still tend to 'cheat' by slipping the AE finder onto the camera to work out exposure, but I am gradually building confidence to use a hand-held exposure meter to expose transparency films when using grad filters! :o

I would like to go on one of Joe's excellent day landscape courses, but they are expensive and becoming fewer in number as his other work increases. They also need to be booked some time in advance which doesn't fit well with my work, as I rarely know what I will be doing this time next week. :)

One day maybe, one day. :)

Zuiko
28th December 2015, 12:38 AM
My wife gave me a copy of First Light some years ago, and I had it signed by Joe when he gave a very enlightening talk at his photographic exhibition in Hartlepool.

(We are fortunate enough to live not too far away from Joe's gallery in Northallerton. where our son did two week's work experience before deciding on his recent 'career change'.)

The book and Joe's talks have taught me a lot about the quality and direction of light, and how to use it to best advantage; not only in landscapes but in my day job too.

I often find myself viewing a landscape and thinking "I must come back here at xxxx"; whether that be a particular time of day, a time of year, or both. Similarly there have been many occasions when I have looked at a scene and decided that it wasn't worth wasting film on at that time, but was worth a return visit.

As you will know from other threads, I very much enjoy using a waist level finder for landscape photography, and somehow feel more connected with the medium this way. However, I still tend to 'cheat' by slipping the AE finder onto the camera to work out exposure, but I am gradually building confidence to use a hand-held exposure meter to expose transparency films when using grad filters! :o

I would like to go on one of Joe's excellent day landscape courses, but they are expensive and becoming fewer in number as his other work increases. They also need to be booked some time in advance which doesn't fit well with my work, as I rarely know what I will be doing this time next week. :)

One day maybe, one day. :)

"First Light" is one of two books that have influenced me greatly and had a fundamental impact upon my photography, the other is "Mountain Light" by Galen Rowell.

I agree with your preference for a waist level finder, it's what I miss most and the flip-out screens of digital cameras, although good, are not the same. Treat yourself to a Pentax digital spot meter, it allows you to make precision spot readings with unerring accuracy. :)

David M
28th December 2015, 12:48 AM

I keep a log of locations/time of day/time of year for this. It used to be in the notebook in my camera bag, now it's on the tablet.

crimbo
28th December 2015, 09:51 AM
An Ioptron Skytracker

http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/500/pli4c28-12-15_.jpg (http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/87920)

E620 full spectrum with Hoya UV-IR cut on a silver nose 200mm f4 16x60s

So my present is to learn to image process as this one took over 2 hours... might have been quicker if I laid off the Talisker...

Phill D
28th December 2015, 10:00 AM
I just looked up First Light and whilst it should be 25 new it seems like decent second hand copies are going for hundreds of pounds and imported new ones are around 1000!!!
Looks like a trip to the local library then if the council haven't shut it yet :( and see if they can get me a copy to look at.

Harold Gough
31st December 2015, 09:11 AM

Being aware of an alternative definition of thong, I was nervous about scrolling down! :D

Harold