PDA

View Full Version : I don't want to worry you but.....

Zuiko
24th December 2015, 09:57 AM
....... there is a fair chance that tonight, long after you have gone to bed, a strange old man with a long white beard will break into your house and creep into the room where you are sleeping to empty his sack....... :eek:

Hope he leaves everything you want. :)

Happy Christmas everybody! *chr

*waving*waving*waving*waving*waving*waving

Kiwi Paul
24th December 2015, 10:45 AM
Merry Xmas John and everybody on the forum.

Not sure Santa visits oil platforms, by the time he filled out all the paper work and did a risk assessment and had all his prezzies security checked it would be New Year *yes:p

Paul

shenstone
24th December 2015, 11:16 AM
Better than the strange person who crept into the room where we were sleeping whilst were on Holiday in Lanzarote this year and stole all our money whilst we were sleeping (that really creeped us out, the thought of what may have happened was actually worse than losing 300) :( :( :( :(

Mind you on reflection there are similarities..

Would this person have been in Lanzarote in early November resting up *reindeer *smileysanta *snowman *rudolf *snowflake *waving

Olybirder
24th December 2015, 11:27 AM
There is also a chance that he will help himself to something from your drinks cabinet and some food too. :eek:

Happy Christmas to you too John. *chr

Ron

Zuiko
24th December 2015, 12:03 PM
Better than the strange person who crept into the room where we were sleeping whilst were on Holiday in Lanzarote this year and stole all our money whilst we were sleeping (that really creeped us out, the thought of what may have happened was actually worse than losing 300) :( :( :( :(

Mind you on reflection there are similarities..

Would this person have been in Lanzarote in early November resting up *reindeer *smileysanta *snowman *rudolf *snowflake *waving

That must have been a horrible experience, I'm so sorry for you. Hope Santa is much kinder.

Zuiko
24th December 2015, 12:05 PM
There is also a chance that he will help himself to something from your drinks cabinet and some food too. :eek:

Happy Christmas to you too John. *chr

Ron

Yes, it's highly probable that the Macallan in our house will strangely lose a little by evaporation tonight! ;)

Imageryone
24th December 2015, 12:18 PM
And, before anyone says anything, that old man with a white beard and hair is, most definitely, NOT ME!! *smileysanta

Have wonderful Christmas with your family, hope to renew aquaintence in the New Year *chr

Simon Bee
24th December 2015, 01:00 PM
....... there is a fair chance that tonight, long after you have gone to bed, a strange old man with a long white beard will break into your house and creep into the room where you are sleeping to empty his sack....... :eek:

John, as ever :D:D:D:D:D

Have a Very Merry Christmas everyone

Kindest regards, Simon

Naughty Nigel
24th December 2015, 01:07 PM
I have happy memories of sneaking bikes, toy prams, dolls houses and other large items into the house during the early hours of Christmas morning, so it is no wonder that the Famous Grouse seems to evaporate quite a lot at this time of year. :D

Thankfully this year's pressies are much easier to wrap up and place under the true, apart from mine which I had to collect yesterday, and certainly won't fit into the house!

Here's wishing everyone a happy, joyful and blessed Christmas, and hoping that Santa brings plenty of photographic goodies. :)

DerekW
24th December 2015, 02:32 PM
"and certainly won't fit into the house! "
a new Jag??

enjoy it before the green grinches put you in the stocks.

PeterBirder
24th December 2015, 02:58 PM
Thanks for the timely reminder John.:D

Actually we've got a small person here already tracking Santa.

http://www.noradsanta.org/

A very Merry Christmas to everyone.*crazyxmas*rudolf*smileysanta*snowmanhat* *waving*waving

Beagletorque
24th December 2015, 03:52 PM
Happy Christmas John.
Just spotted my wife trying to sneak a giant wrapped box into house! Obviously not a lens. :( Unless it is the new 300mm f0.95? :confused:

Kiwi Paul
24th December 2015, 04:59 PM
Happy Christmas John.
Just spotted my wife trying to sneak a giant wrapped box into house! Obviously not a lens. :( Unless it is the new 300mm f0.95? :confused:

It will be 2 new camera bodies, plus all the latest zooms and primes, a new tripod, new computer, monitor and latest A2 printer with paper and ink, that's why the box is so big *yes:p

Beagletorque
24th December 2015, 05:51 PM
It will be 2 new camera bodies, plus all the latest zooms and primes, a new tripod, new computer, monitor and latest A2 printer with paper and ink, that's why the box is so big *yes:p

You saw my Santa letter then?:D

Naughty Nigel
24th December 2015, 06:12 PM
"and certainly won't fit into the house! "
a new Jag??

enjoy it before the green grinches put you in the stocks.

Err yes it is, in Italian Racing Red, so it just needs a green ribbon to look festive. :)

I know what you mean about the Green Grinches though. But in my view it's not the cars that are the problem, it's the way we insist on using them for journeys that aren't really necessary, or could be made some other way.

We have the technology to do so many things remotely nowadays, but we still expect people to travel hundreds or sometimes thousands of miles just to be there.

Sadly there are many people who seem to think that electric cars are the answer, but they need to be charged with 1.6 times the amount of electricity actually needed to drive them, whilst the batteries contain all manner of nasties. There are also inefficiencies in the power generation and distribution system, so in global terms a diesel car that will do 50 + MPG is actually far more eco friendly than an electric car - unless of course we generate electricity using nuclear power. :rolleyes:

OM USer
24th December 2015, 09:06 PM
A Merry Christmas to you all.

Why is it as the years pass that presents get smaller but more expensive?

drmarkf
24th December 2015, 09:57 PM
Happy Christmas everyone!

Kiwi Paul
25th December 2015, 06:10 AM
Merry Xmas everyone, Ho HO Ho *xmashat04*smileysanta*reindeer

Paul

maccabeej
25th December 2015, 08:10 AM
Nigel. Sorry Santa can't get to you his sleigh is stuck on a charging point in a car park in Slough and he is sitting twiddling his thumbs. BTW the reindeer no longer meet the EU air pollution standards😢
Merry Christmas all and Happy Capturing in the New Year.

Kiwi Paul
25th December 2015, 08:58 AM
You saw my Santa letter then?:D

Well was it??:D

Paul

Beagletorque
25th December 2015, 10:18 AM
A big Cajon! No glass in sight.

Happy Christmas!

Wee man
25th December 2015, 10:35 AM
Merry Christmas to all .

Ricoh
25th December 2015, 12:42 PM
Someone's done the maths, but qualitatively, for Santa to deliver toys to every child on earth, he'd have to exceed the speed of light, possibly many times. But it's plausible, all he needs to do is feed his reindeer Dilithium crystals, Scotty!

David M
25th December 2015, 01:51 PM
Someone's done the maths, but qualitatively, for Santa to deliver toys to every child on earth, he'd have to exceed the speed of light, possibly many times. But it's plausible, all he needs to do is feed his reindeer Dilithium crystals, Scotty!

Or he's got multiple clones and sleighs.

Imageryone
25th December 2015, 02:33 PM
Nah!! He just suffers from a split personality :eek:

Graham_of_Rainham
25th December 2015, 02:36 PM
Don't you believe in "magic" any more...

*rudolf *reindeer *reindeer *reindeer *reindeer *reindeer *reindeer *reindeer *waving

David M
25th December 2015, 04:24 PM
Don't you believe in "magic" any more...

*rudolf *reindeer *reindeer *reindeer *reindeer *reindeer *reindeer *reindeer *waving

I'm watching a Doctor Who marathon on the Space channel so I'm sticking with my solution.

macmcgill
25th December 2015, 04:33 PM
Merry Xmas John and everybody on the forum.

Not sure Santa visits oil platforms, by the time he filled out all the paper work and did a risk assessment and had all his prezzies security checked it would be New Year *yes:p

Paul

Dont forget the D&A, which if he has been to my house, he will fail!

We are currently lurking around a bunch of NUI's in the southern sector. But he did bring me nice little 75mm, so a few gigs to try it out in the new year, we are due to crew change about half past January, I think.

Have a great time guys

Zuiko
26th December 2015, 12:26 AM
Err yes it is, in Italian Racing Red, so it just needs a green ribbon to look festive. :)

I know what you mean about the Green Grinches though. But in my view it's not the cars that are the problem, it's the way we insist on using them for journeys that aren't really necessary, or could be made some other way.

We have the technology to do so many things remotely nowadays, but we still expect people to travel hundreds or sometimes thousands of miles just to be there.

Sadly there are many people who seem to think that electric cars are the answer, but they need to be charged with 1.6 times the amount of electricity actually needed to drive them, whilst the batteries contain all manner of nasties. There are also inefficiencies in the power generation and distribution system, so in global terms a diesel car that will do 50 + MPG is actually far more eco friendly than an electric car - unless of course we generate electricity using nuclear power. :rolleyes:

There is always someone ready to point the finger and say, "It's not my fault, blame him," but the truth is we are all environmentally destructive, it just differs between individuals by degrees. I'm certainly not going to begrudge you a new Jag, especially as I own a VW diesel that is somewhat less environmentally friendly than it was portrayed to be when I bought it!

You've hit the nail on the head by highlighting the number of unnecessary business journeys that are made, often involving hundreds of miles, when meetings could be conducted from the normal office, or even from home, by using Skype, for example.

And then there is the congestion that occurs throughout the country every day at peak times because we apparently don't have the money for road improvements. Instead, we waste million of pounds worth of petrol or diesel each year by having millions of stationary cars burning fuel but going nowhere. Not only is it economically nonsensical, but it is a waste of precious resources and extremely damaging to the economy.

However, even if every nation on Earth decided from tomorrow onwards to act in the most environmentally friendly way and consume fuel as frugally as possible, it still would not be enough. Collectively there are too many of us and through evolution we are programed to consume in a most unsustainable fashion. We might as well accept that we are the architects of our own demise and that it is now a question of when, not if, we will render this planet unsuitable for our continuing survival. So let's just enjoy the good times whilst they last.

Sorry to paint such a bleak picture at a time of year when we are meant to celebrate hope, but if there is a god and he wants to help humanity, he will need to do a lot more than send his son for sacrifice on our behalf - and that about 2000 years ago!

On a brighter note, what colour did you say it was, Nigel? Red? I bet it is both an eye-catching and luxurious machine. Our Passat is a rather less conspicuous business-like metallic silver, but both have a similar impact upon the environment. I'm certainly not planning to give it up any time soon (unless forced by financial factors); in fact, with the way transport is structured in this country I don't see how I could. Enjoy your new car and I hope you are having a wonderful Christmas. *chr

Ricoh
26th December 2015, 01:21 AM
You make a fair point, John. Obviously the answer is to have cars powered by Dilithium Crystals, just a small measure, mind you, maybe 1/10 of a small amount would take you around the world twice, and back again. Now where do we mine dilythium, is it open cast mines by chance!

shenstone
26th December 2015, 10:57 AM

Hope he leaves everything you want. :)

Washing Up, wrapping paper everywhere, strange things that I'm sure I never expressed an interest in

But yes we had a good day, I hope you all did as well

Regards
Andy

DerekW
26th December 2015, 10:59 AM
Zuiko said -
"And then there is the congestion that occurs throughout the country every day at peak times because we apparently don't have the money for road improvements."

However Presser cancelled a heap of road improvements in about 2003, along with the total lack of planning of the next wave of nuclear power stations - which if the government of the day had done correctly we would be getting ready to bring them on line now and so phase out the older stations. Instead there is a panic planning of the next generation of power stations.

Naughty Nigel
26th December 2015, 05:13 PM
I'm certainly not going to begrudge you a new Jag, especially as I own a VW diesel that is somewhat less environmentally friendly than it was portrayed to be when I bought it!

You've hit the nail on the head by highlighting the number of unnecessary business journeys that are made, often involving hundreds of miles, when meetings could be conducted from the normal office, or even from home, by using Skype, for example.

I am pleased to say the new Jag it is remarkably environmentally friendly, (even better than my wife's Astra), and so actually saves me about 100 a year in road tax owing to lower emissions. (159 grams of CO2 per Km if I recall.)

Better still, being built in Castle Bromwich the CO2 emissions involved in delivery should be significantly lower than if she had been built in Munich or Stuttgart! ;)

More seriously though, I do wonder about the overall CO2 footprint of vehicles imported from Turkey (Ford), the far east and other far flung places. Their engines may have low CO2 emissions, but how much CO2 is generated by transporting them here? And how long will some of them last?

And then there is the congestion that occurs throughout the country every day at peak times because we apparently don't have the money for road improvements. Instead, we waste million of pounds worth of petrol or diesel each year by having millions of stationary cars burning fuel but going nowhere. Not only is it economically nonsensical, but it is a waste of precious resources and extremely damaging to the economy.

But how many of those journeys really need to be made?

How many 'just in time' deliveries are made every day of the week to satisfy the bean counters, when it would make much more sense to have weekly bulk deliveries?

And how many unnecessary miles are travelled because big businesses choose to have a single distribution centre rather than several centres that are more logically placed.

A friend of ours (now retired) worked at County Hall for the local education authority. He had to travel to London at least twice a week every week for meetings which he said could just as easily have been held via a conference call of video link. (He worked in the IT department!) He could have stayed in London overnight to avoid a repeat journey, but the budget for hotel expenses was limited, whereas rail travel wasn't.

Then there are the needless and short-lived imports of junk from the far east, often by air freight; much of which ends up in our landfill!

And do we really need to import bottles of drinking water from France of all places? You cannot drink the tap water there, yet we import the stuff in bottles. How logical is that? :confused:

My point is that it would make much more sense all round to avoid these needless journeys rather than just putting token taxes on air travel and road fuel.

My experience in industry also tells me that most products are designed by accountants for lowest build cost, not for their environmental impact. Even today there is a great deal that could be done to lengthen useful life and to reduce energy consumption.

However, my main gripe is with high street shops propping their doors open 363 days a year, pumping hot or cold air out into the outside world at huge environmental cost. I appreciate they are selling vitally important goods and services such as mobile phones, flat screen televisions and fashion accessories, but are consumers really incapable of opening doors nowadays? :(

On a brighter note, what colour did you say it was, Nigel? Red? I bet it is both an eye-catching and luxurious machine. Our Passat is a rather less conspicuous business-like metallic silver, but both have a similar impact upon the environment. I'm certainly not planning to give it up any time soon (unless forced by financial factors); in fact, with the way transport is structured in this country I don't see how I could. Enjoy your new car and I hope you are having a wonderful Christmas. *chr

The colour is called Italian Racing Red. It looks a little dull today, but on a bright sunny day is a lovely deep colour. My last car was dark silver (Lunar Grey), but I have always liked the bright red and Racing Green colours, so when the opportunity came up at a good price I couldn't say no. :)

DerekW
26th December 2015, 06:34 PM
We need proof of your new toy, so post a picture of it - Please

Naughty Nigel
26th December 2015, 10:00 PM
We need proof of your new toy, so post a picture of it - Please

I will, when it is clean. :)

Zuiko
26th December 2015, 10:21 PM
I am pleased to say the new Jag it is remarkably environmentally friendly, (even better than my wife's Astra), and so actually saves me about 100 a year in road tax owing to lower emissions. (159 grams of CO2 per Km if I recall.)

Better still, being built in Castle Bromwich the CO2 emissions involved in delivery should be significantly lower than if she had been built in Munich or Stuttgart! ;)

More seriously though, I do wonder about the overall CO2 footprint of vehicles imported from Turkey (Ford), the far east and other far flung places. Their engines may have low CO2 emissions, but how much CO2 is generated by transporting them here? And how long will some of them last?

But how many of those journeys really need to be made?

How many 'just in time' deliveries are made every day of the week to satisfy the bean counters, when it would make much more sense to have weekly bulk deliveries?

And how many unnecessary miles are travelled because big businesses choose to have a single distribution centre rather than several centres that are more logically placed.

A friend of ours (now retired) worked at County Hall for the local education authority. He had to travel to London at least twice a week every week for meetings which he said could just as easily have been held via a conference call of video link. (He worked in the IT department!) He could have stayed in London overnight to avoid a repeat journey, but the budget for hotel expenses was limited, whereas rail travel wasn't.

Then there are the needless and short-lived imports of junk from the far east, often by air freight; much of which ends up in our landfill!

And do we really need to import bottles of drinking water from France of all places? You cannot drink the tap water there, yet we import the stuff in bottles. How logical is that? :confused:

My point is that it would make much more sense all round to avoid these needless journeys rather than just putting token taxes on air travel and road fuel.

My experience in industry also tells me that most products are designed by accountants for lowest build cost, not for their environmental impact. Even today there is a great deal that could be done to lengthen useful life and to reduce energy consumption.

However, my main gripe is with high street shops propping their doors open 363 days a year, pumping hot or cold air out into the outside world at huge environmental cost. I appreciate they are selling vitally important goods and services such as mobile phones, flat screen televisions and fashion accessories, but are consumers really incapable of opening doors nowadays? :(

The colour is called Italian Racing Red. It looks a little dull today, but on a bright sunny day is a lovely deep colour. My last car was dark silver (Lunar Grey), but I have always liked the bright red and Racing Green colours, so when the opportunity came up at a good price I couldn't say no. :)

This all makes good sense, it's a shame the planners and policy makers don't seem to have any!