PDA

View Full Version : Winter solstice has come and gone

Ricoh
22nd December 2015, 12:36 AM
Thank god! Looking forward as we start yet another lap around the sun, and looking forward to capturing quality light, those elusive in-focus photons.

benvendetta
22nd December 2015, 06:53 AM
It hasn't gone............it's today, the 22nd December.

Barkly
22nd December 2015, 07:03 AM
Summer solstice here - and its been quite cold. 26 degrees.

Petrochemist
22nd December 2015, 08:04 AM
It hasn't gone............it's today, the 22nd December.
It was at 4.49 this morning, & we've now had the first sunrise after it (even if hidden by clouds again) so it's gone now.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/science/12061231/When-is-the-shortest-day-of-the-year-the-winter-solstice-2015.html

Kiwi Paul
22nd December 2015, 08:42 AM
Summer solstice here - and its been quite cold. 26 degrees.

Your poor folk, how do you cope?
I hope you have a good supply of woolly jumpers and arctic jackets to keep you warm, crank up the heating too. :rolleyes:

Paul

Phill D
22nd December 2015, 09:14 AM
I always thought it was the 21st. Obviously not that simple.

Otto
22nd December 2015, 09:23 AM
The rain is still sluicing down here, just as it has been doing more or less continuously since Bonfire Night - at least it feels that way. Just for fun I got the camera out the other day just to check the light level, and at ISO200 it said 1 second at f/8, and that was just after lunch! At least it's not cold. Anyway, my point was that I don't really care where the sun is as we seldom see it :rolleyes:.

ringneck
22nd December 2015, 05:07 PM
Yes OTTO it feels like 3-4 months since the last sunshine - apart from the odd glimpse.
I passed out while driving in October so cannot drive now and it seems every day since has been grey and miserable and being stuck inside is not going down too well.Had to get to Docs before 8 the other day and the son drove me there and I planned to walk back - a couple of miles - so took my wildlife kit (Canon) hoping to see things on a little pool on the way.There was a decent subject but had to get up to ISO 6400 just to get 1/250 @ F5.6...to say it was noisy was an understatement.......ROLL ON SOME LIGHT....to allow me to walk around and then to get some pics.

Otto
22nd December 2015, 05:43 PM
Sorry to hear that Keith, I think I'd go nuts if I couldn't get out in the car now and then. We are promised a sunny interval tomorrow sometime, I'll report back :).

Naughty Nigel
22nd December 2015, 06:24 PM
Just for fun I got the camera out the other day just to check the light level, and at ISO200 it said 1 second at f/8, and that was just after lunch!

The car's headlights lights seem to switch themselves on even at midday when it seems reasonably light, so it must be gloomy. The new LED street lamps in our street also seem to stay on until about ten in the morning.

I have a very good light box which I like to use to brighten up dark days and evenings. I find it very therapeutic when viewing MF transparencies with a loupe. Or should that be the other way round? ;)