PDA

View Full Version : Zoom problem

sapper
20th December 2015, 09:55 AM
Not Oly camera related but was asked at my local club this question.
"I am only getting 3 times magnification using aperture or shutter speed settings on my bridge camera, the normal range is 28 times zoom".
I haven't a clue, any ideas?

Imageryone
20th December 2015, 10:17 AM
Probably got Macro switched on?

sapper
20th December 2015, 10:49 AM
Probably got Macro switched on?

Ta. Not thought of that.

Jim Ford
20th December 2015, 12:12 PM
Sounds like digital zoom is switched off, with only the x3 optical zoom operating.

Jim

PeterBirder
20th December 2015, 03:45 PM
Not Oly camera related but was asked at my local club this question.
"I am only getting 3 times magnification using aperture or shutter speed settings on my bridge camera, the normal range is 28 times zoom".
I haven't a clue, any ideas?

The mixed use of the terms "magnification" and "times zoom" suggests to me that the questioner does not understand what these mean.

I had this question from a birding acquaintance when he bought his first bridge camera. He thought that the "x times zoom " was the same as the zoom range quoted for birding telescopes which is indeed the magnification ( actually the number of times closer the object appears to be than its actual distance). The zoom range for a camera lens is of course the ratio between the shortest and longest focal lengths so is not related to the "magnification" of the subject distance. To put this in perspective the angle of view (horizontal not diagonal) of a typical pair of "10 times magnification" binoculars is about 5 degrees whilst the range of a m4/3 75-300mm which is a "4 times zoom range" is 16-4.1 degrees. Thus the "magnification" at 300mm is little greater than a pair of binoculars and insignificant compared to a "20-60 times zoom" birdwatching telescope.

Regards*chr

shotokan101
21st December 2015, 11:19 AM
probably useful to know the model of camera :)

sapper
21st December 2015, 12:07 PM
Thanks guys, Jim Ford was correct.