PDA

View Full Version : Bird ID please

Invicta
14th December 2015, 06:39 PM
It's a Woodpecker, not a green one but is it a lesser or greater spotted Woodpecker?

A welcome visitor to my garden for sure.

http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/1866/Woodpecker3.jpg (http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/87824)

Jim Ford
14th December 2015, 06:56 PM
GSW!

The LSW is very small - about the size of a sparrow. They're also quite rare.

Jim

DerekW
14th December 2015, 08:32 PM
Greater I think - looking at

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=woodpeckers&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiw-rPJmNzJAhXMORQKHUFbCggQ_AUIBygB&biw=1603&bih=1267#imgrc=Wr0CaY8EfGyqvM%3A

PeterBirder
14th December 2015, 09:04 PM
Defiinitely a female GSW (the male has a red patch at the back of the head).

As Jim says the LSW is tiny and quite scarce (known to birders like me as the Never Spotted Woodpecker :rolleyes:) There are only about one to two thousand breeding pairs in the UK compared to fourteen thousand breeding pairs of GSW. Most LSWs are found in the south east with a very few in parts of Yorkshire and easterly parts of Wales. The LSW has no red under the tail and has a much weaker beak, the male has a red cap.

Regards.*chr

Invicta
14th December 2015, 09:35 PM
Many thanks for all the replies.

I couldn't work out which it was from the web searches. She arrives early in the morning so I best go out and fill my feeder back up now.

joglos
16th December 2015, 09:02 AM
I started off with a female coming into the garden, now every year get m/f and they bring their youngsters into the feeders in the summer too :). Many say they bully other birds but i have never seen them bully others on the feeders and they feed alongside other birds .

Invicta
16th December 2015, 04:55 PM
I started off with a female coming into the garden, now every year get m/f and they bring their youngsters into the feeders in the summer too :). Many say they bully other birds but i have never seen them bully others on the feeders and they feed alongside other birds .

I hope my Woodpecker is not the only one and that there is a male one around somewhere *lovesick. There is no sign of the Woodpecker bully any other birds and she feeds happily alongside other visitors.

The biggest bully at my bird feeder is the blackcap and so far I haven't had any of those visit my garden this winter.

David M
16th December 2015, 10:36 PM
I hope my Woodpecker is not the only one and that there is a male one around somewhere *lovesick. There is no sign of the Woodpecker bully any other birds and she feeds happily alongside other visitors.

The biggest bully at my bird feeder is the blackcap and so far I haven't had any of those visit my garden this winter.

Some Great Spots can be bulliys some only bother about other Great Spots.

I don't know why wintering Blackcaps are so aggressive but a lot of them are.

Harold Gough
17th December 2015, 11:31 AM
We used to get them feeding on the rotting, much-infested with insects, hollow trunk of an apple tree in our garden. It collapsed this year, so no more woodpeckers.

Harold

Jim Ford
17th December 2015, 04:20 PM
GSWs will open up a bird box to get at the young. You can put a metal plate around the entrance hole to deter them.

Jim