PDA

View Full Version : Metz flash on OM-D EM5 issue

Loup Garou
8th December 2015, 12:40 PM
We have a Metz Mecablitz 54 MZ-4i flashgun that we originally purchased in 2006 for my wife's Leica V-Lux camera. The flash then came with a SCA 3202 adapter with an M6 upgrade and worked fine with the Leica. It still does.

I wanted an additional flashgun with my OMD EM5 Marks I & II and so after searching, got an SCA 3202 apdapter with an M7.1 upgrade that is specifically designated for Olympus digital cameras. With the new ensemble the Metz flash works on my OMD EM5s but not as it should.

1. In the TTL mode it tends to under-fire to the extent that the picture is too dark even at full aperture. I have to step-up the EV on the flashgun by at least + 2/3 to get correct exposure.

2. In the Auto mode, the flash over-fires and so the picture is too bright. I have to reduce the flashgun's EV value by - 2/3 to get a correct exposure.

The same thing is true (in a comparative sense between the 2 settings) whether the ISO setting is Auto, 200 or anything else, even though the expected other differences due to change of ISO can easily be seen.

I use only a UV filter on the lens. All exposures were with a Olympus 17mm f2.8 pacake at full aperture.

Worst of all, I cannot see or set the corresponding f value on the flash in either mode.

I even checked to see if I had accidentally set the flash to a slave mode; I hadn't.

Can someone please offer an explanation for this and advice on how to correct the problems? Thanks.

Ian
8th December 2015, 01:27 PM
I would have thought Metz could sort this out for you. Have you tried contacting them?

Ian

Loup Garou
8th December 2015, 01:34 PM
I would have thought Metz could sort this out for you. Have you tried contacting them?

Ian Yes, I have. Awaiting reply. But sometimes knowledgeable 'ordinary' people can help and so I asked. I have found that people here often have very useful tricks up their sleeves that one would not find in a manual.

Bikie John
8th December 2015, 04:21 PM
I find that with Oly's own FL-36 and FL-50, the images tend to look "underexposed" when TTL is left to its own devices. It's not because I'm being too optimistic with aperture/ISO/subject distance. I don't think they used to do this - I rationalised it as a deliberate change to keep highlights under control.

It's easy to fix in post if you're processing from raw, and quite possibly you can adjust the picture mode settings if you want out of camera JPEGs (although I have no experience of this).

John

byegad
8th December 2015, 06:05 PM
I have a similar issue with a Metz 24 flash on my EM5, it works perfectly on the EM10 and EP5! I'd be interested in any hints/advice Metz may give.

Loup Garou
9th December 2015, 09:40 PM
An update on this. I tried similar scene exposures with the more modern Nissin i40 and the Metz and the results were interesting to say the least.

Nissin i40 is a great flashgun and probably the best on camera external flash for the micro four-thirds system. But if its manual is to be believed, in an "Auto" setting, it still fires based on TTL values but unlike the TTL setting, Auto does not allow flash EV compensation. In other words, the Nissin i40 has no true 'auto' mode where the sensor on the flash measures the ambient light and fires accordingly.

The Metz on the other hand, overrides what the camera sees in the 'Auto' setting and fires according to its own sensor information. Thus with the OMD cameras. it is not influenced by narrow focusing or spot metering by the camera, thus tending to over-expose in many low-light situations. This is useful in parties, weddings and similar gatherings where you may want even the people in the background to be seen.

The Nissin IMO is better with portraits and such where you want more even lighting. TTL works very well with it whereas in the Metz its is less useful.