PDA

View Full Version : Those little annoying things....

Kiwi Paul
7th December 2015, 02:35 PM
We all have something that we find irritating and annoying, often little trivial things that don't matter.....

One of mine is the incessant noise the washing machine makes after its finished "BEEP, BEEP, BEEP, BEEP, BEEP, BEEP", repeating every 5 minutes indefinitely.

I mean a little "beep - beep" every half hour would remind you but no no, it has to make it appear like a life or death matter....Grrrrrrrrr, maybe I'm just a grumpy old man.

Anyone else got any irritations to vent?

Paul

Jim Ford
7th December 2015, 02:54 PM
Anyone else got any irritations to vent?

Oh yes!

Anyone remember cinema tickets costing 1/9d? In those days you had your money in your hand, and if there was a queue it used to flow smoothly, with maybe no more than 5 seconds for you to pay your money and the ticket delivered, before you moved on.

Now, you join a queue, where you have to choose a seat from a screen. As well as that, the person(s) in front negotiates an order for a 3 course meal (OK - popcorn and drinks!). The whole process takes at least 5mins per customer, instead of the previous 5sec!

Jim

MarkG
7th December 2015, 03:51 PM
Oh yes!

Anyone remember cinema tickets costing 1/9d? In those days you had your money in your hand, and if there was a queue it used to flow smoothly, with maybe no more than 5 seconds for you to pay your money and the ticket delivered, before you moved on.

Now, you join a queue, where you have to choose a seat from a screen. As well as that, the person(s) in front negotiates an order for a 3 course meal (OK - popcorn and drinks!). The whole process takes at least 5mins per customer, instead of the previous 5sec!

Jim
I reckon they've got the doors on back to front at my local cinema. If you are going IN to watch a film with popcorn and a drink, you have to pull the doors open (with no free hands), but when you are leaving AFTER the film (having finished popcorn and drink), then the doors push open to the outside, so hands free.

ringneck
7th December 2015, 04:04 PM
I reckon they've got the doors on back to front at my local cinema. If you are going IN to watch a film with popcorn and a drink, you have to pull the doors open (with no free hands), but when you are leaving AFTER the film (having finished popcorn and drink), then the doors push open to the outside, so hands free.

Same with toilet doors in Supermarkets etc........after washing your hands you have to pull the door open knowing that you saw at least 3 previous "visitors" leave without washing....YUK. :eek:

Imageryone
7th December 2015, 04:33 PM
How, in many drinking establishments, a " Pint " = 2/3rds beer, 1/3rd froth.

By habit now I always say " When the froth settles, you can fill it to the right measure!"

Many barpeople get very upset by this as they can gain up to 5 pints a night otherwise. If they get too stroppy, I put a beer mat over the glass and announce loudly I am calling Weights and Measures. Surprising how quickly they calm down, even to the offer of a free refill.

Does this qualify me as a Grumpy Old Man ?

David

And how is it we still use Pint measured glasses, when , officially, we are now metric???????????

DerekW
7th December 2015, 05:08 PM
to avoid us in upgrading to drinking in litres on a 1 for 1 exchange basis apart from the price difference.

Ralph Harwood
7th December 2015, 06:15 PM

That will be fire regulations - fire exits must open outwards as in a crush of people trying to get out it would be impossible to open them. They could swing both ways though.

Naughty Nigel
7th December 2015, 06:18 PM
Oh yes!

Jim

It was much better when the Usherettes used to walk backwards down the aisles waving red torches around. And they used to sell ice cream during the intervals.

I agree about the washing machine bleeping when it has finished. Hardly a matter of life or death is it, although I think ours only bleeps for about ten minutes. But it's still annoying.

I am constantly irritated by misleading signs and notices. How many cash points do you see with "Free Cash" emblazoned over them? Yet they still take the money out of my account. :rolleyes:

Then there is misleading advertising, where reading through the T&C's confirms that the offer really is too good to be true, but most of the public take it at face value.

And right now I am regularly irritated by those who spout on about electric cars saving the planet. Have they ever stopped to think "where will the electricity come from to charge them?", and the fact that in most cases electric propulsion simply means "even more pollution somewhere else". :(

sapper
7th December 2015, 06:43 PM
Posts on here telling me of an upcoming deal on Amazon for the 40-150mm 2.8. Don't keep tempting me!

Jim Ford
7th December 2015, 07:27 PM
Same with toilet doors in Supermarkets etc........after washing your hands you have to pull the door open knowing that you saw at least 3 previous "visitors" leave without washing....YUK. :eek:

I always use my little finger to pull open the door, for that very reason!

Jim

Jim Ford
7th December 2015, 08:09 PM
And another thing!

A few days ago outside our house - when one of the biggest ever meetings of World leaders was taking place to discuss global warming - there was a woman standing beside her diesel car making a'phone call, for about 20mins - with the engine running! She did turn it off when I pointed it out, though.

Why can't people just turn their car engines off when they're stationary for any length of time?!

Jim

PeterBirder
7th December 2015, 08:22 PM
That will be fire regulations - fire exits must open outwards as in a crush of people trying to get out it would be impossible to open them.[QUOTE]

Quite right. More important than the possibility of dropping your popcorn.

[QUOTE=Ralph Harwood;368884] They could swing both ways though.

I understand some people do.;)

PeterBirder
7th December 2015, 08:32 PM
I always use my little finger to pull open the door, for that very reason!

Jim

Is that then the reason some people extend their little finger when holding a teacup? :)

PeterBirder
7th December 2015, 08:35 PM
Motor fuel prices being quoted to 0.99p. Do they think we are all stupid?

Jim Ford
7th December 2015, 08:37 PM
And yet another thing!

Dog owners training their animals to bark!

Many dog owners in our local park appear to actively train their animals to continually bark. They stand, usually chatting to someone else, with a stick or ball in their hand. The dog begins to bark frantically. The owner then rewards the barking by throwing the stick/ball, thus reinforcing the behaviour!

(We had a neighbour that had a dog that constantly barked in their garden. The owner said that it's name was "Nimrod - it's in The Bible and means Mighty Hunter!". I said to my wife that I didn't expect they could find a name in The Bible that meant Noisy Ba5tard!.)

Jim

timboo
7th December 2015, 11:19 PM
people who drive with rear fog light on when its not foggy

people who drive with sun visor down when it not sunny

people who mess about at airport security taking forever

micra drivers

people who cant walk in high heels

people who dont have manors

app updates on my iphone which ruin an app and have clearly not been tested

ios updates which have twice broke my phone

people who do not understand bus lanes

motorway middle lane hoggers

people throwing cigarette butts out of car windows

Belive it or not im actually a very positive person that will do for now!

Wee man
7th December 2015, 11:24 PM
People who complain about people in middle lane who are sitting at the maximum speed permitted and cannot legally be overtaken!

Kiwi Paul
7th December 2015, 11:32 PM
people who do not understand bus lanes

!

Yes... Grrrrrrrr
In Aberdeen they are very clearly marked the times they are operational, but folk still queue in the right lane with the left lane clear but not a bus lane at that time, I have avoided mega queues by simply using the "left" lane because its not a bus lane at that time but folk sheepishly follow each other in the right lane.

Paul

Kiwi Paul
7th December 2015, 11:37 PM
p

people who cant walk in high heels

Yep another peeve of mine, no matter how hard I try I just can't suss out how to walk in high heels :eek:;):D:p

Paul

Zuiko
7th December 2015, 11:47 PM

This is one of my pet hates. I often keep repeating the dryer until someone else opens the door so that I can slip out without touching the handle.

Zuiko
7th December 2015, 11:50 PM
Yep another peeve of mine, no matter how hard I try I just can't suss out how to walk in high heels :eek:;):D:p

Paul

I guess that when you are out on the rig for weeks at a time you have to make your own entertainment......... :D

Zuiko
7th December 2015, 11:54 PM

Well I'm afraid I only have a 3 bedroom semi but I can't afford a manor. *shrug

Kiwi Paul
7th December 2015, 11:55 PM
I guess that when you are out on the rig for weeks at a time you have to make your own entertainment......... :D

Of course offshore it's steel capped high heels lol ;):D:rolleyes::eek::confused:

Paul

Zuiko
8th December 2015, 12:04 AM
They could swing both ways though.

Sounds like we're back to Kiwi Paul and his high heels..... :rolleyes:

Kiwi Paul
8th December 2015, 12:06 AM
AND another peeve, I've been buying "non reflective perspex" for my picture frames, just as good as glass but not breakable except it has a shiny side and a coated side, so I've just realised, but try to tell the difference until you hang the picture......grrrrr

and why can't Americans use English spelling and drive on the left???
In fact why doesn't Europe drive on the left... and speak English natively, things would be so simple if people were more like us.:cool::rolleyes:*yes:D;)

Paul

Zuiko
8th December 2015, 12:12 AM
That will be fire regulations - fire exits must open outwards as in a crush of people trying to get out it would be impossible to open them. They could swing both ways though.

What if the fire (or the gunman :eek:) was in the foyer and people were trying to escape through the rear of the cinema? The doors should swing both ways.

Olybirder
8th December 2015, 12:15 AM
As soon as I find a product at Morrisons that I really like, they don't stock it any more. I wish they wouldn't do that. :(

Ron

Zuiko
8th December 2015, 12:15 AM
things would be so simple if people were more like us.:cool::rolleyes:*yes:D;)

Paul

Yes, why can't all photographers use Four Thirds cameras? :D

Zuiko
8th December 2015, 12:19 AM
As soon as I find a product at Morrisons that I really like, they don't stock it any more. I wish they wouldn't do that. :(

Ron

Yes, Tesco do that too. It's even more annoying when you ask the staff about it and they claim never to have stocked the product. Grrrrrr

Kiwi Paul
8th December 2015, 12:23 AM
Yes, why can't all photographers use Four Thirds cameras? :D

Because that's reserved for a certain elite ;)

Olybirder
8th December 2015, 12:29 AM
Pay and display car park tickets that blow off the dashboard every time you shut the door. :mad:

Ron

sapper
8th December 2015, 07:38 AM
This is one of my pet hates. I often keep repeating the dryer until someone else opens the door so that I can slip out without touching the handle.

On our cruise ship, tissues were put out in toilets to use when opening the door. I carry a small pack of tisues, to blow my nose, and open doors. NOT, with the same tissues:p

Olybirder
8th December 2015, 08:32 AM
We Northerners must be a tad more technologically advanced for once .... we stick our tickets on the inside of the car window using a self adhesive strip :D:D
We country bumpkins struggle with advanced technology like that, so we don't always get the self adhesive strip on our tickets. ;)

Ron

Jim Ford
8th December 2015, 09:02 AM
Pay and display car park tickets that blow off the dashboard every time you shut the door. :mad:

My Skoda Octavia has a little clip on the windscreen pillar that holds the tickets.

Jim

Jim Ford
8th December 2015, 09:05 AM

What, do you mean people that don't live in posh houses or criminals that don't have areas that they rule over?

;^)

Jim

timboo
8th December 2015, 09:13 AM
People who complain about people in middle lane who are sitting at the maximum speed permitted and cannot legally be overtaken!

more often than not those same people are also driving below the speed limit and not passing slower moving traffic in the nearside lane! They prevent hgv drivers and people from towing from overtaking and therefore add to congestion.

timboo
8th December 2015, 09:32 AM
Well I'm afraid I only have a 3 bedroom semi but I can't afford a manor. *shrug

haha thats it lap it up on my typo so funny how it makes all the difference sometimes!

Otto
8th December 2015, 09:42 AM
[QUOTE=Jim Ford;368977]My Skoda Octavia has a little clip on the windscreen pillar that holds the tickets.{/QUOTE]

So did my Saab, very sensible. There was a guy on "Dragon's Den" a while back who pitched his idea of carrying a small plastic hook around in order to open toilet doors hygienically. He didn't get the money.

Olybirder
8th December 2015, 10:07 AM
My Skoda Octavia has a little clip on the windscreen pillar that holds the tickets.

JimI have just been looking online at the large number of little plastic devices designed to achieve the same thing. That is probably a cheaper solution for me than buying a new Octavia. ;)

Ron

Olybirder
8th December 2015, 10:13 AM
If one owned a manor, one could employ a man servant to open toilet doors for one. Problem solved.

Ron

Ricoh
8th December 2015, 10:33 AM
* Christmas build-up starting in November.

* The 12 days of Christmas should be reduced drastically, by law, to become the 12 hrs of Christmas. Long enough for any sane individual.

* X Factor

PeterBirder
8th December 2015, 11:01 AM
We Northerners must be a tad more technologically advanced for once .... we stick our tickets on the inside of the car window using a self adhesive strip :D:D

We Southerners used to do that but we quickly realised that the self adhesive strips leave a sticky residue on the window necessitating frequent window cleaning.:rolleyes:

byegad
8th December 2015, 11:03 AM
I am constantly irritated by misleading signs and notices. How many cash points do you see with "Free Cash" emblazoned over them? Yet they still take the money out of my account. :rolleyes:
(

*pnc No wonder my bank has been trying to get in touch! Can I do them under the trades description act?

PeterBirder
8th December 2015, 11:08 AM
They prevent hgv drivers and people from towing from overtaking and therefore add to congestion.

Ah HGV drivers. They are the inconsiderate drivers who, on two lane dual carriageways insist on trying to overtake other HGVs. Since all HGVs have 60 mph speed limiters this results in them holding up everyone else for about ten miles.:rolleyes:

Zuiko
8th December 2015, 11:19 AM
On our cruise ship, tissues were put out in toilets to use when opening the door. I carry a small pack of tisues, to blow my nose, and open doors. NOT, with the same tissues:p

That's a good idea. :)

Zuiko
8th December 2015, 11:23 AM
* Christmas build-up starting in November.

* The 12 days of Christmas should be reduced drastically, by law, to become the 12 hrs of Christmas. Long enough for any sane individual.

* X Factor

The Christmas build-up now seems to start in October. It will soon get to a point where we're not sure if we're late for last Christmas or early for next! :mad:

OM USer
8th December 2015, 11:42 AM
Well I'm afraid I only have a 3 bedroom semi but I can't afford a manor.
Everyone else got there before me. Can I have a title to go with my manor (when I can afford it)?

As soon as I find a product at Morrisons that I really like, they don't stock it any more. I wish they wouldn't do that.
I've been trying for 3 weeks now to buy some Lidl Snowy Ridge Mince Pies. Voted best mince pie this christmas I want to see what all the fuss is about.

.... we stick our tickets on the inside of the car window using a self adhesive strip
tickets that leave a sticky residue.

Otto
8th December 2015, 11:47 AM
The Christmas build-up now seems to start in October. It will soon get to a point where we're not sure if we're late for last Christmas or early for next! :mad:

I got my first charity Xmas mailing in August, with an apology for being so early. Needless to say it went straight in the bin!

Zuiko
8th December 2015, 12:27 PM
I got my first charity Xmas mailing in August, with an apology for being so early. Needless to say it went straight in the bin!

I see the Salvation Army are appealing for £19 donations to fund their work over Christmas. It seems they don't want the £5 that I might be able to afford to give them. Same with the Essex Air Ambulance campaigning outside local supermarkets; they want you to sign up for a regular £2 per month direct debit for their lottery. I was more than willing to make a one-off donation of £2 there and then, but they didn't want it. *shrug

I do make larger donations when I can, for example the Philippines cyclone coincided with a storm over here that left us without electricity for several days. I donated the £50 compensation that I got from our electricity provider to the Red Cross Philippines appeal, because it was money that I didn't expect to have and wasn't relying upon to cover household bills. Their way of thanking me was to bombard me with regular spam emails asking for more, to the point where I added them to my list of blocked websites. :(

timboo
8th December 2015, 01:23 PM
Ah HGV drivers. They are the inconsiderate drivers who, on two lane dual carriageways insist on trying to overtake other HGVs. Since all HGVs have 60 mph speed limiters this results in them holding up everyone else for about ten miles.:rolleyes:

agree we need to be like france certain days they are allowed on the roads.

Otto
8th December 2015, 01:25 PM
micra drivers

Yes, what is it about the Micra that means that there's often one (usually a red one) at the front of every line of slow traffic on main roads? :)

As for charities I now get sent books of raffle tickets four times a year from each of four different ones. The Red Cross used regularly to send me drinks mats, pens, badges, cards, calendars etc until I managed to get them to stop, but they still come in unaddressed mail. I told them I might be more inclined to give them money if they didn't waste it on all that rubbish. I support a number of charities but am sick to death of being pestered by all the others!

I bought a call-screening phone to stop all the charities, PPI claims companies and solar panel salesmen who were driving me nuts with unsolicited calls. Best forty quid I ever spent!

Imageryone
8th December 2015, 01:29 PM
I see the Salvation Army are appealing for £19 donations to fund their work over Christmas. It seems they don't want the £5 that I might be able to afford to give them. Same with the Essex Air Ambulance campaigning outside local supermarkets; they want you to sign up for a regular £2 per month direct debit for their lottery. I was more than willing to make a one-off donation of £2 there and then, but they didn't want it. *shrug

I do make larger donations when I can, for example the Philippines cyclone coincided with a storm over here that left us without electricity for several days. I donated the £50 compensation that I got from our electricity provider to the Red Cross Philippines appeal, because it was money that I didn't expect to have and wasn't relying upon to cover household bills. Their way of thanking me was to bombard me with regular spam emails asking for more, to the point where I added them to my list of blocked websites. :(

With you on this, John, why should we be told what to give, when organisations pay people to collect money, and pay them a lot too.

As for " Disaster Funds " they get nothing from me unless the money can be collected at my bank, otherwise how do you check where the money actually goes , not just into some spammers account?

Zuiko
8th December 2015, 01:31 PM
I bought a call-screening phone to stop all the charities, PPI claims companies and solar panel salesmen who were driving me nuts with unsolicited calls. Best forty quid I ever spent!

Maybe that's what I should have done with the compensation from my electricity provider. :D

Otto
8th December 2015, 04:00 PM
And had enough change for a pint to celebrate with :)

BT 8500 Call Blocking Phone (http://www.shop.bt.com/products/bt8500-advanced-call-blocker-single-078626-9M2M.html?refs=382250000-4294940229)

PeterBirder
8th December 2015, 05:06 PM
And had enough change for a pint to celebrate with :)

BT 8500 Call Blocking Phone (http://www.shop.bt.com/products/bt8500-advanced-call-blocker-single-078626-9M2M.html?refs=382250000-4294940229)

Yes I got one of them.

Best product I've ever bought.:tup

timboo
8th December 2015, 05:22 PM
If one owned a manor, one could employ a man servant to open toilet doors for one. Problem solved.

Ron

That wouldn't be a a little annoying thing............... simply heaven imo.

timboo
8th December 2015, 05:30 PM
Yes, what is it about the Micra that means that there's often one (usually a red one) at the front of every line of slow traffic on main roads? :)

As for charities I now get sent books of raffle tickets four times a year from each of four different ones. The Red Cross used regularly to send me drinks mats, pens, badges, cards, calendars etc until I managed to get them to stop, but they still come in unaddressed mail. I told them I might be more inclined to give them money if they didn't waste it on all that rubbish. I support a number of charities but am sick to death of being pestered by all the others!

Haha I didn't think of any particular coloured micra but now you mention it red is no.1. They always drive well under the speed limit and can't judge roundabouts tend to give way to every direction ;-)

Think charities do waste a lot of money on post however are you and I reminiscent of the general public or does it actually generate a lot of business for them?

Naughty Nigel
8th December 2015, 09:36 PM

I once donated £5 to an aid charity by texting a number from my mobile. This was in response to an advert on the Gatwick Express train following a major disaster.

I was very happy to donate the money, but I immediately received a text thanking me for my donation and telling me that they would call me shortly. However, there was nothing in the advert about this. (I was still on the train so I had a close look.)

A few days later I received a phone call pestering me set up a regular monthly donation. I didn't want to do this so the caller tried to use emotional blackmail to persuade me. I told them to remove my details from their database.

The fact is that these people are 'Chuggers', who are paid on commission to bully the public into donating to their charity.

(Chugger = Charity Mugger)

Naughty Nigel
8th December 2015, 09:40 PM

It's usually a Toyota for me. :mad:

(As the advert says, The car in front is a ******* Toyota! )

Naughty Nigel
8th December 2015, 09:54 PM
People who try to enforce speed limits on motorways by doing 65 MPH in the overtaking lane! :mad:

Ahhh, but how do you know you are travelling at the legal speed limit?

Do you have an officially calibrated speedometer?

Do you wear a police uniform?

(Only a uniformed police officer is allowed to enforce the law as far as I am aware).

Anyhow, I could be driving a white van or an Audi, both of which are exempt from road traffic laws! *yes

Naughty Nigel
8th December 2015, 10:04 PM
In fact why doesn't Europe drive on the left...

Just shows how much influence the UK has in Europe! :rolleyes:

However, Cypriots drive on the left; sometimes. :D

Wee man
8th December 2015, 10:07 PM
I use a mobile GPS which logs my speed, as even changing tyre profile knocks the speedometer out on most cars. I believe the car company I use get their speedometers from Volkswagen so they must be right
But again is speed not dependent on whether you drive a car with optional indicators, horn etc and if it runs on petrol or diesel? Re calibration of the speedometer will give a better MPG and save on special software.......... Ok I am going.

p.s. I agree on micras of any colour!

And what I wear in the privacy of my car has nothing to do with it nor has the big blue light on the roof.

really going now; were do taxis fit into this?

Naughty Nigel
8th December 2015, 10:22 PM
And what I wear in the privacy of my car has nothing to do with it nor has the big blue light on the roof.

I do like a lady in police uniform. *yes

Wee man
8th December 2015, 10:45 PM
I prefer them without they are just as arresting. If you are not careful you might get bound over.

Zuiko
9th December 2015, 01:22 AM
However, Cypriots drive on the left; sometimes. :D

In my experience Cypriots are quite flexible on this and will happily drive on either side of the road. When two vehicles travelling in opposite directions are sharing the same side, one of them usually switches to the other side in time. Just like here, taxis do seem to have priority, but it's hard to say with any certainty. :rolleyes:

OM USer
9th December 2015, 01:16 PM
I dislike not being able to partake in an introductory offer (TV package, gas, electricity, mobile phone etc) because I am an existing customer. Once an existing tie-in package has expired (or you pay to get out of it), you should be free to take up anything the relevent company is advertising.

DerekW
9th December 2015, 02:26 PM
I see those offers as an invitation to start renegotiating the terms with the implication of leaving to use a different supplier.

snaarman
9th December 2015, 04:07 PM
When the "bin men" reverse the "bin lorry" up our close: What exactly is that vile tortured crow noise it makes, and is it completely necessary?

PS. Cypriots don't drive on the left or the right, they generally drive in the shade.

OM USer
9th December 2015, 05:39 PM
The "My Olympus" website where you register your products for an extra 6 months warranty that can't show a picture of an E-PM2, thinks some of my lenses are silver when they look perfectly black to me, and doesn't show a warranty extension on the 1.4 TC.

Wee man
9th December 2015, 06:11 PM
For information there is no extension on the 1.4TC even though it comes in the same box as the 40 - 150 pro and the warranty offer in the box only applies to the 40 - 150pro,, go figure.
When I contacted Olympus I was told the TC is not a lens!!

Ulfric M Douglas
9th December 2015, 06:46 PM
Surely that's taking snobbery to extremes,
we can't all have a sprawling hall in the country.

Ulfric M Douglas
9th December 2015, 06:51 PM
...It's even more annoying when you ask the staff about it and they claim never to have stocked the product. Grrrrrr
I got that at Waitrose once!
Like we're in a film where someone thinks they're losing their memory but it's everyone else pretending something didn't happen.

Umm, that sounds paranoid.
It was only potato flour anyway.

Wreckdiver
9th December 2015, 11:14 PM
And another thing!

A few days ago outside our house - when one of the biggest ever meetings of World leaders was taking place to discuss global warming - there was a woman standing beside her diesel car making a'phone call, for about 20mins - with the engine running! She did turn it off when I pointed it out, though.

Why can't people just turn their car engines off when they're stationary for any length of time?!

Jim

Mine does it automatically :)

Steve

Naughty Nigel
11th December 2015, 10:31 PM
I got that at Waitrose once!
Like we're in a film where someone thinks they're losing their memory but it's everyone else pretending something didn't happen.

Umm, that sounds paranoid.
It was only potato flour anyway.

I once asked for Pease Pudding at the Deli in Sainsbury's Exeter store when we were down that way on holiday.

That was bad enough, but when I mentioned that we always bought it from Sainsbury's in Durham I thought they were going to call security! *yes

Homer Simpson
13th December 2015, 06:08 PM
Menu descriptions :mad:

Pan fried ....... What else could you fry it in?
Sea bass........ This is the uk, where else could a bass come from?
Jus........ If you mean gravy, King well say so!

Is everything ok sir...... Not really, but I don't want sputum in the next course

Naughty Nigel
13th December 2015, 07:53 PM
Is everything ok sir...... Not really, but I don't want sputum in the next course

.... And the fact that in some establishments they use this opportunity to whip the condiments away and plant them on someone else's table, only to repeat the procedure five seconds after their meals are delivered. :mad:

I once complained about this practice at a Little Chef, (now long gone), and asked the 'Server' to return the condiments to my table. I was informed that it was "company policy", and that staff could be disciplined if they failed to remove condiments from tables quickly enough (preferably before they were used I suspect). :rolleyes:

PeterBirder
13th December 2015, 09:04 PM
Menu descriptions :mad:

Pan fried ....... What else could you fry it in?
Sea bass........ This is the uk, where else could a bass come from?
Jus........ If you mean gravy, King well say so!

Pedantic mode on.:D

These are all specific cullinary terms, although not always applied correctly.:rolleyes:

"Pan fried".
If you just say fried it could (and often does) mean "Deep fat fried"

"Sea bass".
This is a specific species of fish. There are many species of "bass" many of which are freshwater fish of the Perch family. The word "bass" is derived from the Middle English word "bars" which means "Perch". These days fish served in the UK does not necessarily come from UK waters. "Alaskan Pollock" is much used due to the decline of the "Atlantic Cod" as a result of over fishing.

"Jus"
The French for juice. Means the juices from the meat with which it is served.
"Gravy" uses "Jus" (but not neccessarily from the meat being served) and has other things, such as thickening agents added. Worse still it may come from a packet and could be made from almost anything.:eek:

Just saying.:)

Wee man
13th December 2015, 10:46 PM
Wok, Griddle? There are fish from all over the world now available. So called Sea Bass to differentiate from large mouth freshwater Bass. Rock Salmon was popular until people found it was dogfish! Doubt they came from rocks?

Don't you just hate it when people give answers like these?

Zuiko
14th December 2015, 01:47 AM
.... And the fact that in some establishments they use this opportunity to whip the condiments away and plant them on someone else's table, only to repeat the procedure five seconds after their meals are delivered. :mad:

I once complained about this practice at a Little Chef, (now long gone), and asked the 'Server' to return the condiments to my table. I was informed that it was "company policy", and that staff could be disciplined if they failed to remove condiments from tables quickly enough (preferably before they were used I suspect). :rolleyes:

I always thought a good thing about Little Chef was that you could depend upon all restaurants in the franchise being of the same standard. That enabled you to quickly discount them as an option and doubtless avoid many a mediocre experience, unless there really was no other choice! :D

Even Little Chef failed to plumb the depths of culinary vandalism frequented by Happy Eater, though. After a particularly Fawlty Towers-like experience at one of their establishments (I cannot bring myself to flatter them with the word "restaurants") we renamed the chain "Crappy Cheaters" and never allowed them to assault our digestive systems again! :mad:

Naughty Nigel
14th December 2015, 10:33 AM
I always thought a good thing about Little Chef was that you could depend upon all restaurants in the franchise being of the same standard. That enabled you to quickly discount them as an option and doubtless avoid many a mediocre experience, unless there really was no other choice! :D

Back in the late 1970's and 1980's there was little other choice for those travelling around the country. There were many more pubs in those days, but comparatively few had cottoned on to the idea of selling daytime meals. Even where food was available it was somehow difficult to avoid buying alcohol to enjoy with it, which was less than ideal if one was driving (even though it was the accepted norm at the time). :(

Some of the better Little Chefs were just about acceptable for an 'Early Starter', but there were others where the service was so dire that I walked out. On one occasion, (on the A43 at Towcester) the 'Duty Manger' was so angered by my complaint (that my meal had been getting cold for more than ten minutes whilst he pranced around the restaurant) he threw my plate at the floor, smashing it, but then had another one cooked 'on the house'! :eek:

I didn't bother them again with my business.

DerekW
14th December 2015, 10:46 AM
You can tell how good a Chinese Restaurant is by how many Chinese are eating in it.

Sadly the rule does not apply to Little Chefs and Happy Eaters when they are full of native English eaters.

Kiwi Paul
14th December 2015, 12:10 PM
I remember when I came over from NZ 10 years ago I was very disappointed with the quality of food in the pubs in the UK. The food in pubs etc in NZ is very good but I just took it for granted until I went to the pubs here and realized how good the NZ pub grub is. I think the food here has improved now though, certainly in Scotland anyhow.

Paul

Jim Ford
14th December 2015, 12:11 PM
People of the radio - usually young females - who talk quietly with a croak in their voice, so it sounds as if they're dying. Irritating though this is, it's marginally less so than the 'rising terminal' - again affected by mostly by young females - so it makes each sentence sound like a question.

People who want to turn left in their car, but firstly swing wide right, because they're too lazy to turn the steering wheel. This also applies when turning right.

People who make turns without indicating, presumably because they don't want to wear out their indicator mechanism or indicator bulbs! ( A friend of mine always says "Look at that brand new car - the indicators are already broken!")

People who drive on major roads with only their parking (side) lights on.

People who sit waiting in their cars with the engine running (I've probably already done this one, but it winds me up so much that it deserves another gripe!)

Jim

Olybirder
14th December 2015, 12:26 PM
People who sit waiting in their cars with the engine runningPeople who do this on the 'wrong' side of the road with their dipped headlights on, which shine across the road and dazzle oncoming traffic.

Ron

Zuiko
14th December 2015, 12:58 PM
Just other drivers. All of them! *nono

Naughty Nigel
14th December 2015, 02:45 PM
Just other drivers. All of them! *nono

No. Just other drivers. All 22,000,000 of them! *nono

OM USer
14th December 2015, 09:59 PM
Other drivers who clog up the roads!

ringneck
14th December 2015, 11:42 PM
T.V. sound levels...always quite in progs but loader for adverts or trailers.....have to continually keep remote in hand ready to pounce when it gets load.

Despite it being on Points of View so many times "they" still do the same......stupid music in factual progs...it always drowns out the narrative.

Jim Ford
15th December 2015, 10:07 AM
Youngsters driving down the road in their VW Golfs with the window down, with a multi kilowatt sound system blasting out - 'DOOF, DOOF, DOOF....!

I don't impose my taste in music on them, why should they impose theirs on me?!

Jim

Naughty Nigel
15th December 2015, 10:50 AM
Youngsters driving down the road in their VW Golfs with the window down, with a multi kilowatt sound system blasting out - 'DOOF, DOOF, DOOF....!

I don't impose my taste in music on them, why should they impose theirs on me?!

Jim

To me it always sounds like a car with a knackered 'diff coming along the road. Not cool at all. :)

Naughty Nigel
15th December 2015, 04:16 PM
Those dreaded words 'we are experiencing exceptionally high call volumes' when calling banks, insurance companies or indeed any other institution. This is inevitably followed by a message telling you to go to their website (I wouldn't be wasting my time on the 'phone if it was that easy), and some awful electronic hold music that isn't improved by playing on a telephone handset.

Given that these institutions always seem to be 'experiencing exceptionally high call volumes' every time I call them would it not make sense to invest some of their £billions of profit in the employment of a few extra call centre staff to make their customers lives just that little but easier? :mad:

Sorry for the rant. I have just be on the 'phone to HSBC.

Zuiko
15th December 2015, 04:27 PM
Those dreaded words 'we are experiencing exceptionally high call volumes' when calling banks, insurance companies or indeed any other institution. This is inevitably followed by a message telling you to go to their website (I wouldn't be wasting my time on the 'phone if it was that easy), and some awful electronic hold music that isn't improved by playing on a telephone handset.

Given that these institutions always seem to be 'experiencing exceptionally high call volumes' every time I call them would it not make sense to invest some of their £billions of profit in the employment of a few extra call centre staff to make their customers lives just that little but easier? :mad:

Sorry for the rant. I have just be on the 'phone to HSBC.

Yes, if every company employed the numbers of staff they actually need (and in the case of call centres employed them in this country) their customers would receive much better service and the economy would be in far better shape. :(

Otto
15th December 2015, 04:31 PM
You have my sympathy Nigel. "Your call is important to us ..." ;)

TV ads, especially those with little subtitles listing all the excuses like "selected stores only", "terms and conditions apply", "always read the label" etc etc. In fact TV ads in general, they all seem to treat the viewer as little more than an imbecile. Even worse, radio ads that have all the "terms and conditions" stuff compressed into a few seconds at the end. I can't listen to commercial radio, they drive me nuts. If I want to watch a programme on a commercial TV channel I record it so I can FF through the ads.

The first time I visited the US back in the late 1970s I saw all the legal rubbish at the bottom of TV ads and thought "heaven help us if that stuff comes over here". Inevitably, it has :(.

Naughty Nigel
15th December 2015, 04:41 PM
Banks would also benefit if they made it easier for customers to access their accounts securely, but without dozens of obscure codes and passwords.

I have a card reader from Barclays that makes it quick and easy to access my accounts, and is presumably quite secure as it won't work without the card and PIN number.

The HSBC system is quite good too, if not as user friendly. (And unlike the Barclays system it will only work with one designated security device.)

However, I have other accounts that make it almost impossible to access them, but the banks want to charge me for paper statements. :mad:

Whilst on that subject, why do utilities companies, BT, mobile phone operators and suchlike send emails inviting you to log onto their systems to download statements and invoices when they could have attached the wretched things to the email they have just sent? :mad:

The irony is that when I log on to my O2 account to access invoices the default delivery option is by email. Why couldn't they sent it that way in the first place to save the hassle of logging on? :rolleyes:

Zuiko
15th December 2015, 04:47 PM
A major hate of mine - gift cards. You pay the money up front and the shop gets it immediately, so why do they put an expiry date on it? Surely the longer the recipient takes to redeem it the better, it is in effect an interest free loan to the shop. In my opinion it is far better to give those awkward £10 notes, which can only be spent in every shop in the country and have no expiry date. The only advantage I can see in giving a gift card is that it enables you to specify that a wayward nephew must spend it on books (for example) rather than alcohol. But I'd prefer he got p****d on my money rather than lose it altogether just because he forgot to use the card in time. :mad:

Otto
15th December 2015, 05:01 PM
There's an on-line whisky specialist whose gift cards not only never expire but accrue interest at 5% pa, rather better than most banks!

DerekW
15th December 2015, 05:32 PM
TV commercials rarely bother us as we watch programs with commercials in delayed mode - ie start watching at least 10 minutes after the start and finish watching the program at the same time - or view it several days / weeks/ never later

Otto
15th December 2015, 05:57 PM
My TV doesn't have that facility but I can do that via the DVD/HDD recorder which comes to the same thing. I don't know why so many advertisers make their ads so annoying, if they didn't perhaps people might actually watch them!

Ulfric M Douglas
15th December 2015, 06:42 PM
There's a really annoying advert with a trio of mutants in a car, lurching to bad music.
On fast-forward they are silent and unmoving ... which is nice.

Rocknroll59
15th December 2015, 07:09 PM
Woooaa....wow so many things which can just be so irritating....the Hh thing has always been my pet hate...it's H got it H... not Hh..!! People who scream at full pelt from your left on roundabouts then try to cut you up on the inside just as you are about to move left to go straight on...those stupid stickers in the backs of cars...worlds greatest gran on board, So. People you wave or signal to come on when the road is narrow and don't even acknowledge you or wave thank you ( I shout 'thank you') not that they can hear me...are we all getting bit Victor on here !!

Cheers

Peter

Naughty Nigel
15th December 2015, 07:45 PM
People you wave or signal to come on when the road is narrow and don't even acknowledge you or wave thank you ( I shout 'thank you') not that they can hear me...

Cheers

Peter

Just in case you didn't know Peter, BMW, Audi and Mercedes don't fit reverse gears to any of their cars, so you have to feel a little sorry for their drivers.

Just as well they 'know where they're going'. :rolleyes:

Zuiko
15th December 2015, 10:55 PM
There's an on-line whisky specialist whose gift cards not only never expire but accrue interest at 5% pa, rather better than most banks!

I would be very happy to receive those gift cards! *chr

Kiwi Paul
17th December 2015, 06:28 AM
When a newbie asks what camera is best for them on a general camera forum or site and all the Canikon owners immediately recommend a Canikon full frame model with large lenses etc, they never put up a balanced view saying "on the other hand if you want something more compact that still has excellent picture quality consider m4/3" etc, aaaargh!!!, to them it's just Canikon ful frame and nothing else, such a narrow minded viewpoint.

Naughty Nigel
19th December 2015, 08:43 PM
Prices that don't mean what they say.

Budget airline fares come to mind. Has anyone ever actually flown with Ryanair for 99p?

And then we have car dealers who display a price on the windscreen in big numbers, but you can't buy the car for the advertised price because they apply an 'administration charge' of £150 that (they say) "everybody has to pay". So why not advertise the actual cost then? :(

And then there are car dealers who ask for a deposit to secure a second-hand car, claiming that several people have already been out on test drives that morning. Yet the disk brakes are all red with rust. :rolleyes:

David M
19th December 2015, 09:53 PM
Having just got home, AWD and 4x4 drivers incapable of driving if there's more than three flakes of snow in the air.

Naughty Nigel
19th December 2015, 09:56 PM
I was about to ask you where you were to be having snow; then I saw Canada.

We live in the frozen wastes of northeast of England and it was 18 Degrees Celsius here today!

There again, I thought an inability to drive with more than three flakes of snow in the air was another British phenomena; and yes you are right, Range Rover drivers are the worst!

David M
19th December 2015, 10:11 PM
I was about to ask you where you were to be having snow; then I saw Canada.

We live in the frozen wastes of northeast of England and it was 18 Degrees Celsius here today!

There again, I thought an inability to drive with more than three flakes of snow in the air was another British phenomena; and yes you are right, Range Rover drivers are the worst!

Actually there's a lot of similarities between Range Rover drivers in the UK and 4x4/AWD in Ontario. They all have to drive down the center of the road so they don't get their tyres dirty.

Naughty Nigel
19th December 2015, 10:34 PM
Some years ago, shortly before our son was born we had a visit from the Health Visitor driving her shiny new Range Rover, who over several cups of tea explained that whatever the weather she would be there.

(No wonder the NHS is nearly bankrupt.)

When our son was born on New Year's Eve it was snowing, not a lot, but we had a phone call from the Health Visitor apologising that she couldn't make it owing to the bad weather. It takes us fewer than ten minutes to walk to the surgery even we stop to speak to friends on the way! :rolleyes:

Harold Gough
20th December 2015, 04:42 PM

A couple of years ago some kids came carol singing in November. When I challenged their timing they explained that they were going away over Christmas. I told them to go away right then!

Harold

Harold Gough
20th December 2015, 04:53 PM
You order something from Ebay or Amazon, which you want to sneak into the house. Even if it is specially selected to go through your letter box, some clown in uniform will ring your doorbell and demand a signature.

Why don't they just issue them with megaphones?

Harold

Zuiko
20th December 2015, 04:57 PM
Some years ago, shortly before our son was born we had a visit from the Health Visitor driving her shiny new Range Rover, who over several cups of tea explained that whatever the weather she would be there.

(No wonder the NHS is nearly bankrupt.)

When our son was born on New Year's Eve it was snowing, not a lot, but we had a phone call from the Health Visitor apologising that she couldn't make it owing to the bad weather. It takes us fewer than ten minutes to walk to the surgery even we stop to speak to friends on the way! :rolleyes:

I bet she originated from down south - people here don't know how to drive on snow, even if they do have a 4 wheel drive! It only takes a smattering of the white stuff to cause mass panic and unbelievable chaos. :(

maccabeej
21st December 2015, 08:13 AM
Interesting comments about driving on snow. Apparently you have to have a 4x4, certainly not rear wheel drive. How did we manage with Cortinas, Triumph Heralds and rear engined Imps and Beetles. How did all those Swedes drive around all winter in RWD Volvos. It's the tyres and the nut at the end of the steering column😡

Kiwi Paul
21st December 2015, 09:05 AM
I must admit, I'm not looking forward to driving in snow in my car, I've had it 2 years and fortunately not had enough snow to be of any concern yet.
I've a RWD sports car, 370z :eek:

Paul

Naughty Nigel
21st December 2015, 09:35 AM
Mine is RWD and drives like a beached whale on snow, so I drive my wife's Astra instead. :D

I have thought about fitting winter tyres on the rear for a bit more grip but they are quite pricey, and the wheels take up a lot of space in the garage.

I don't know how well they perform if the temperature rises to 18 °C or so (as it did this weekend), but my experience of full wet racing tyres is that they are quickly destroyed when the sun comes out, with a very real risk of ending up in a ditch!

Otto
21st December 2015, 10:47 AM
One really annoying thing is this forum's habit of suddenly jumping back a few posts while you're reading a thread. I think it's summat to do with Tapatalk but it happens on this computer. I don't use Tapatalk anywhere but Firefox says it's connecting to it for some reason.

As for cars in snow, the best car I ever had for winter driving was a sit-up-and-beg Ford Popular. The tyres were so thin they just cut through the ice and snow, it'd leave all the BMWs etc for dead :). Surprisingly perhaps, the next best was a RWD automatic Vauxhall Carlton. The five Saabs I had were universally hopeless, I guess in Sweden they use winter tyres. My current Alfa Romeo has an "all weather" mode but we haven't had enough snow for me to see how well it can cope :).

Kiwi Paul
21st December 2015, 11:28 AM
One really annoying thing is this forum's habit of suddenly jumping back a few posts while you're reading a thread. I think it's summat to do with Tapatalk but it happens on this computer. I don't use Tapatalk anywhere but Firefox says it's connecting to it for some reason.

Yes I get that, something seems to be taking ages to load and when it does it immediately jumps you to the top or bottom of the page after you have just scrolled to where you want to be, I use Windows and it happens on all my PC';s at home and work.

Paul

Harold Gough
21st December 2015, 11:29 AM
Many brands/varieties of sliced bread in supermarkets are available only in "thick" slices. This, presumably, is some supermarket sales policy to give "value". We don't purchase, so where is the value?

Harold

Kiwi Paul
21st December 2015, 04:12 PM
Many brands/varieties of sliced bread in supermarkets are available only in "thick" slices. This, presumably, is some supermarket sales policy to give "value". We don't purchase, so where is the value?

Harold

"Even better than sliced bread"

I always wonder what folk used to say before sliced bread was available, and when sliced bread did come out did they say "This is even better than .....(whatever they said before sliced bread came out)" *zzz:p:rolleyes:

Paul

Naughty Nigel
21st December 2015, 05:22 PM

As for cars in snow, the best car I ever had for winter driving was a sit-up-and-beg Ford Popular. The tyres were so thin they just cut through the ice and snow, it'd leave all the BMWs etc for dead :). Surprisingly perhaps, the next best was a RWD automatic Vauxhall Carlton. The five Saabs I had were universally hopeless, I guess in Sweden they use winter tyres. My current Alfa Romeo has an "all weather" mode but we haven't had enough snow for me to see how well it can cope :).

I have noticed this forum (and others) all seem to jump as I am reading them. I don't know whether it is adverts or cookie notifications at the top of the screen that are doing it.

I noticed the same thing on my iPad last night so it isn't just an IE thing.

Regarding cars and snow, one of our neighbours is a Dealer Principle or whatever they call them for a local VW dealership. His VW Toerag struggles to climb up our gently sloping road in the snow, but his daughter's old VW Polo with skinny tyres doesn't even seem to notice the snow is there!

Maybe ultra-wide low profile tyres are not quite such a great idea after all. :rolleyes:

Wee man
21st December 2015, 09:24 PM
Same here I can read and start a reply and by the time I post other which had been posted quite a while before suddenly appear placing my post in the middle of a new slant. Using an android tablet and Firefox.

Paul older people over here say better than HP sauce not sure if this pre or post dated the bread comment.

OM USer
21st December 2015, 09:44 PM
.... I think it's summat to do with Tapatalk but it happens on this computer. I don't use Tapatalk anywhere but Firefox says it's connecting to it for some reason.

I wondered about seeing the tapatalk url "Connecting to activate.tapatalk.com" keep popping up when I'm using a browser on my PC.

Wee man
21st December 2015, 09:58 PM
I am loosing the arrows for moving back and forward on some threads? Anyone able to offer suggestions how to get them back?

SORTED:: Switched off tablet and restarted all back to normal

Otto
22nd December 2015, 09:32 AM
I'm getting the "Connecting to activate.tapatalk.com" message quite a lot too. I can't imagine why Firefox on a desktop Win7 PC wants to connect to something intended to assist people browsing on mobile phones! It does seem to be the culprit though I haven't noticed it on other vBulletin forums.

Harold Gough
6th January 2016, 09:48 AM
Bomb-proof packaging.

For example, the clear plastic bags containing monkey nuts from Tesco cannot be torn open and I am very fit!

Harold

Kiwi Paul
6th January 2016, 11:30 AM
Bomb-proof packaging.

For example, the clear plastic bags containing monkey nuts from Tesco cannot be torn open and I am very fit!

Harold

I find ASDA packaging to be irritating.

Paul

Jim Ford
6th January 2016, 11:52 AM
Pretty much all of 2016 so far!

Jim

Kiwi Paul
6th January 2016, 12:01 PM
Pretty much all of 2016 so far!

Jim

Shame, it's been ok for me.