PDA

View Full Version : Just bought the 7-14mm for 849 (new)

Loup Garou
26th November 2015, 02:23 PM
Great Western Cameras in Swindon are my local camera shop but I don't shop with them often because they are usually 10% to 15% more expensive than the competition. But this morning I saw that they had advertised the lens for 979 while it is 999 at just about every mainstream UK dealer. As GWC is only a stone's throw from my office, I dropped in during the lunch break to ask if they had changed their policy fo not doing finance. They had not, but when I mentioned what it was for, they said that they could do one for 849! A still sealed boxed model mind, not a demo job or anything. I faffed around a bit and decided to buy it in the end and it is now sitting in the office next to mt left leg. *yes...... :eek:

Graham_of_Rainham
26th November 2015, 02:30 PM
Sweet!

I used my one mostly for street and interior work, but can be fun for special environmental portrait shots.

*chr

Walti
26th November 2015, 02:33 PM
Well done!

Hope you've been having weightlifting classes ;););)

pdk42
26th November 2015, 02:39 PM
I'm still running the Panasonic 7-14 - which is great except for the purple flare. I'd like to upgrade to the Oly, but it's significantly more expensive.

Loup Garou
26th November 2015, 03:00 PM
Well done!

Hope you've been having weightlifting classes ;););) Of course! I have had a lot of practice weightlifting with the Panasonic 100-300mm. Now that the Olympus 7-14 has arrived, I can stick them at each end of a bar to make a nice barbell. :D

Great Western Cameras do mail order in case anyone is interested.

Jim Ford
26th November 2015, 03:29 PM
when I mentioned what it was for, they said that they could do one for 849!

I'm puzzled! Why should them knowing what it's for make any difference - it's for taking photographs, surely?

Jim

Loup Garou
26th November 2015, 03:48 PM
I'm puzzled! Why should them knowing what it's for make any difference - it's for taking photographs, surely?

Jim No, by "what" I meant for "which item" I had asked about finance. I went to the shop on a whim after seeing that they had it on for 979 on the web. Although I am their customer....well, of a sort....they were not expecting me.

Ricoh
26th November 2015, 04:11 PM
I'm still running the Panasonic 7-14 - which is great except for the purple flare. I'd like to upgrade to the Oly, but it's significantly more expensive.
I purchased a 2nd hand GX7 on hearing the P7-14 behaves much better with a Panasonic. Still get flaring, as you might expect from a super wide, but no nasty purple.

mstphoto
8th December 2015, 11:44 AM
I've just bought one as well but mines is coming from WEX for the same price ;)

Mike

Ian
8th December 2015, 01:11 PM
Which 7-14 (Micro Four Thirds or Four Thirds) are we discussing here?

Ian

Loup Garou
8th December 2015, 01:32 PM
Which 7-14 (Micro Four Thirds or Four Thirds) are we discussing here?

Ian The new Olympus Micro-four thirds 7-14mm f2.8. It used to be 999 but prices are dropping now abd 849 seems to be about the average for 'proper' dealers.

The older 4/3 version is around 1299 and f4. Also a lot heavier. Can be adapted for micro 4/3 use but now I don't see the point.

mstphoto
8th December 2015, 01:51 PM
Looks like I may have got the last one as WEX now have it "awaiting stock"
Should arrive tomorrow *chr

Mike

Ian
8th December 2015, 02:29 PM
The new Olympus Micro-four thirds 7-14mm f2.8. It used to be 999 but prices are dropping now abd 849 seems to be about the average for 'proper' dealers.

The older 4/3 version is around 1299 and f4. Also a lot heavier. Can be adapted for micro 4/3 use but now I don't see the point.

The earlier references inferring this lens is heave clear relate (or should) to the old(er) 7-14 :) Hence the quest for clarification!

Ian

Loup Garou
8th December 2015, 03:01 PM
The earlier references inferring this lens is heave clear relate (or should) to the old(er) 7-14 :) Hence the quest for clarification!

Ian

Understood, thanks. On that point though, with this new lens being lighter, cheaper and faster, why would anyone with a micro 4/3 kit still buy the old f4? The new one is also all metal and very well constructed. Apart from being the only suitable one for 4/3 camera owners, is there something about the older lens that the new one does not have? I wonder because it remains so expensive.

pdk42
8th December 2015, 03:49 PM
I purchased a 2nd hand GX7 on hearing the P7-14 behaves much better with a Panasonic. Still get flaring, as you might expect from a super wide, but no nasty purple.

Yea, I had a GX7 briefly (had to try the Panasonic experience!). The camera didn't agree with me (if you see what I mean), but the 7-14 did perform better on it in terms of flare.

Ian
8th December 2015, 03:56 PM
Understood, thanks. On that point though, with this new lens being lighter, cheaper and faster, why would anyone with a micro 4/3 kit still buy the old f4? The new one is also all metal and very well constructed. Apart from being the only suitable one for 4/3 camera owners, is there something about the older lens that the new one does not have? I wonder because it remains so expensive.

I will let you know when I have compared them back to back :)

Ian

OM USer
9th December 2015, 08:49 PM
Looks like I may have got the last one as WEX now have it "awaiting stock"...

Amazon now have it in stock at 849.