PDA

View Full Version : city life>>different idea

IanB
22nd November 2015, 10:03 PM
I have never really understood this statement . Do we have to be creatively express them[our]selves to be a photographer?

I just take photos to make pictures of things I see that I think might make a good or interesting picture (??)

Phoblographer: Every artist and [B]photographer tries to creatively express themselves through their work; so what are you trying to get across in these photos?

Read more at http://www.thephoblographer.com/2015/11/20/stephanie-jungs-layered-new-york-photos-convey-citys-chaos/#SmifvfiOQVbASVTe.99

love to hear your thoughts

Wee man
22nd November 2015, 11:03 PM
Sorry I find this work as inspiring as calf cut in half and put in a tank of formaldehyde. My creative expression is to make as close as possible a representation of a scene I have seen to allow others to share the experience. Maybe too simplistic but it does for me.

tomphotofx
22nd November 2015, 11:33 PM
I can understand your thoughts Ed on making a record of a scene, however I am guilty on many occasions of taking a photo of something for what it can become in my visualisation for the final presentation of the image rather than producing a replica of original scene.

So I guess that is my creative expression within photography. We all see things differently, for example if we were on a photo outing with say 4 to 6 photographers some images would be similar whilst others would bear very little likeness to the original subject matter.

Tom

PeterBirder
22nd November 2015, 11:37 PM
Quoted out of the context in which it was written it is meaningless.

The quotation is from an interview with a professional Fine Art photographer ie. an artist who uses photography as their medium rather than canvas and paint etc. In this context it is quite valid as the "photographer" in question has developed a particular technique to express an idea. Whether that works or not or you like it or not is entirely subjective. Many types of photography are simply a means of recording something and some, like long exposures to blur moving water (which is not to everyone's taste:)) are intended to convey an "impression" of something. Similarly "composition" is important in many types of photography but not in others (like Police forensic photography or medical photography).

FWIW the technique in question is "interesting" and I can see similarities with some some styles of painting.

Regards.*chr

Phill D
23rd November 2015, 06:20 AM
I don't have time to read all the words at the moment but just flicked through the images and I must say I really like them. Not sure how they were done (will go back and read it later) but for me it worked. I'm sure it could quickly get overdone as a technique but for me they definitely convey the chaos of the city in a nice way.

maccabeej
23rd November 2015, 09:27 AM
I really like them. It really sums up cities for me, particularly NYC. As I was looking at them I thought the represented movement through time, which seems according to the article what she was trying to portray. This is the first time I have got what a modern day artist is trying to do!! Maybe this isn't that sophisticated a concept or (horror of horrors) I am beginning to understand Arty B****cks, hope it's the former:o

Imageryone
23rd November 2015, 09:58 AM
I think this is generally true throughout photography, especially today in this digital age.

If it is not, an awful lot of money is wasted on editing suites etc to get the final image to what you personally want it to be.

IanB
23rd November 2015, 10:00 AM
thanks for looking in and the comments
like most things "different", it's seems a love/hate thing

I like the idea and it's something to consider when I get to Melbourne sometime now that I have a daughter there. Just a bugga it's about a 6 hour drive away. Have I ever mentioned I live somewhere near 'Wayoutthere' lol. Been told I should consider visiting relations to the north; about 18 hours of driving. That's one way btw. :(. I was asked on the weekend if I can pick up my youngest daughter next Monday, Yeah no dramas, that's only 10-11 hours return. Starting to think there might be something in this city living stuff; just a pity about the other people there .

MargaretR
23rd November 2015, 10:07 AM
I quite like some of them too. It's definitely more "Art" than "Photography" though, or at least photography for its own sake. I think the photography most of us do as a norm, is definitely not the same as 'fine art' photography, which (like these) is more about using the camera as a tool for 'creating Art', whatever that means to the creator.

Most of us are happy just to be able to take a decent image in the first place, without worrying about (as Jim says) all the Arty B******s! I know I am! I kind of see them as two different skills .... you don't necessarily need to be able to take a great image, to mess with it and 'create Art', which can just be a matter of specfic technique - like layering perhaps-humdrum city images to create an impression of movement through time. Nothing wrong with that, but a single superb image capturing a city moment is equally valid, and arguably requires more photographic skill.

benvendetta
23rd November 2015, 01:20 PM
Quite liked those images, which are certainly Art (would make a nice canvas too). I think that this sort of photography works well for a place like NYC but as it is with everything, there is the danger of overkill/sameness. I was getting a bit bored by the end and couldn't look objectively at many more.
I do like to do something different though and applaud original thinking.

mstphoto
23rd November 2015, 01:57 PM
I quite like them although its not something I would do myself.
The photographer set out to record the city's chaos and I think she's done just that
Well done Stephanie *chr

Mike

Grumpy Hec
24th November 2015, 07:54 AM
I really like these. The images convey the hurl burly of city life superbly and I personally find them interesting and engaging.

For me photography can be an accurate representation of what is seen or equally a stylised interpretation designed to convey a feeling or mood. Of course a massive raft of other styles are also out there to enjoy or not as the individual sees fit. This is one of the great strengths of photography for me.

Hec

Ricoh
24th November 2015, 05:45 PM
I find Stephanie Jung's work inspirational.

MargaretR
29th November 2015, 01:27 PM
On "Art" vs "Photography" - Don McCullin bemoans the 'hijacking' of the latter by the former...

http://petapixel.com/2015/11/28/digital-photos-cant-be-trusted-says-renowned-war-photographer/#more-192797