PDA

View Full Version : More Phone Scammers?

Naughty Nigel
17th November 2015, 05:20 PM
Maybe not a scam, but I have received several 'International' phone calls recently with a recorded voice advising me that a) our boiler hasn't been changed in the past seven years, and b), that (I quote) "by law, every home must be fitted with an 'A Rated' boiler by 2017." (Says who? :confused:)

This made me curious as I fitted a new condensing boiler myself in 2012, so I wondered how these people knew that we had an older boiler? What information do they hold about us, and from where?

(It is all properly tested and registered with the local authority.)

Secondly, I wasn't aware of any impending legislation which made it mandatory to fit an A rated boiler, although this obviously makes good sense for most people.

Curiosity got the better of me when I was called again this afternoon so I pressed two, and was put through to a young lady with a broad Scouse accent. I asked her the name of the company to which she replied "yer wanna know weir I'm caallin flom; well I'm not tellin yer." And with that the phone went dead! :D

A search online for legislation requiring the installation of an A Rated boiler returned nothing.

So I guess it is just a scam?

Kiwi Paul
17th November 2015, 05:52 PM
Curiosity got the better of me when I was called again this afternoon so I pressed two, and was put through to a young lady with a broad Scouse accent. I asked her the name of the company to which she replied "yer wanna know weir I'm caallin flom; well I'm not tellin yer." And with that the phone went dead! :D

I told one of them I'm a BT telephone engineer and my home phone displays the real number they call from as I need it to diagnose faults when on call. I said I know your real number, your address and who you are :D

There was silence then the phone went dead lol.

Paul

Imageryone
17th November 2015, 05:53 PM
Just check how much that call cost you ? These " spreadshot " scams are prevalent , I have received several and the my boiler was replaced Sept 2014.

Ricoh
17th November 2015, 06:02 PM
I don't answer international calls, but I Googled spreadshot scams, not much help in increasing my knowledge. I can guess but what is it exactly?

Naughty Nigel
17th November 2015, 06:07 PM
Unfortunately I receive quite a few genuine international calls so I cannot ignore them.

PITA though. :mad:

Naughty Nigel
17th November 2015, 06:10 PM
What I don't get though is that any legitimate business would want to remain anonymous when they call prospective customers. Presumably they just want to sell any 'leads' to other chancers. :(

Imageryone
17th November 2015, 06:12 PM
[QUOTE=Ricoh;366578]I don't answer international calls, but I Googled spreadshot scams, not much help in increasing my knowledge. I can guess but what is it exactly?[/QUOTE

E-mails that are sent to thousands on the off chance someone will bite. Most addresses seem to come from false " Petition " e-mail addresses.
Or so I read.

Ricoh
17th November 2015, 06:17 PM
Oh, ok, I thought it was a phone call scam, such as re directing the call to a premium rate number. It's hear say, but I 'm led to understand that happens.