PDA

View Full Version : Affordable housing

Dewi9
14th November 2015, 09:35 PM
Can anyone here explain the concept of 'affordable housing' to me, as it applies to the UK ?

Does it relate to the fact that someone, somewhere, will be able to afford it ? Is it related, in any way, to the supposed 'average wage' of 26K+ per annum ?

It seems a really nebulous concept completely unrelated to the needs of your 'average man' struggling on his pittance of 15K per annum, provided he is lucky enough to get a house and in full time work.

I believed, until some time ago, that the term referred to social housing - that is, what used to be 'council housing', later taken over by 'housing association stock'.

Mr Cameron seemed to say that affordable housing is now provided via shared ownership schemes, where you may be paying a mortgage on as little as 25% of the house value and paying rent on the balance. Yet another description of the term.

Sorry, but I am now thoroughly confused.

David

Jim Ford
14th November 2015, 09:46 PM
It's a semantic scam:

When D.C. looks out of the television screen and talks about 'affordable housing', the intention is that the viewer should think that they are the intended target and that the housing will be affordable to them.

In truth, all housing is affordable to someone! When the football manager Harry Rednap went to Sandbanks in Dorset, the 12 million property he subsequently bought was affordable - to him.

Jim

Otto
15th November 2015, 09:56 AM
It's just political correctness. "Social housing" or "council housing" is supposed to carry negative connotations. There are dozens of similar expressions in other walks of life that are supposed to distract attention from the supposedly negative and turn it into a positive, but which are essentially meaningless. "Affordable housing" is PC for "someone else is paying for all or part of it". What it fails to address is the fact that for the majority of Britons, especially the young, most housing is "unaffordable".

Naughty Nigel
15th November 2015, 05:16 PM
In truth, all housing is affordable to someone! When the football manager Harry Rednap went to Sandbanks in Dorset, the 12 million property he subsequently bought was affordable - to him.

Jim

I have nothing against Harry Rednap, whoever he is, but the fact that a football manager can buy a house for 12 million says a lot about what is wrong with our society and our expectations in life.

I always thought football was the game of the working classes? :confused:

Grumpy Hec
15th November 2015, 07:48 PM
The term "affordable housing, is just a con trick which is used to justify another poorly designed and executed housing development which is actually being done for the sole purpose of earning another massive margin for a developer. It suggest some sort of altruistic service to Mr Average when of course no such service is intended or offered.

Hec

Naughty Nigel
16th November 2015, 10:31 AM
This BBC article makes interesting reading (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-34797019)

Beagletorque
16th November 2015, 05:20 PM
I thought it was a scam to get greenfield land cheap which would otherwise not be considered for building. That "saving" would then be passed on to worthy applicants who could prove some connection to the locality and could not afford a house at the normal market rate. This was often done in association with a housing scheme which included shared ownership. I'm not sure how this worked when the house was sold to the second owner at the normal market rate!