PDA

View Full Version : Migrating birds on the platform

Kiwi Paul
12th November 2015, 01:17 PM
Earlier this month we had a whole assortment of birds on the platform, the usual seagulls making a nuisance of themselves, but lots of smaller birds too, I didn't witness it but it was said the seagulls were forcing the smaller birds into the sea then killing them, presumably to eat :eek:
Some of the birds got as far as the platform then were unable to carry on and there are quite a few dead ones about.
At one stage there were 6 Owls on here, don't know what they were doing, but we were making the most of watching them as come December there will be Noel :D:o*zzz:rolleyes::eek:

Paul

Wee man
12th November 2015, 01:31 PM
Surprised to hear about owls so far out, I take it the lights bring them in.

PeterBirder
12th November 2015, 03:54 PM
Surprised to hear about owls so far out, I take it the lights bring them in.

Some owls such as the Short Eared Owl are semi-migratory and will sometimes cross the North Sea from Scandinavia, oil platforms can provide a welcome resting spot. Many smaller birds such as Godwits, Turnstones and Purple Sandpipers (recently photographed by Olybirder) migrate across the North Sea and in will take advantage of both platforms and ships when the need arises.

Regards.*chr

Kiwi Paul
12th November 2015, 05:13 PM
*owl*owl*owl*owl*owl*owl
Didn't realise we had an Owl icon so here it is belatedly.
Of course they don't give a "hoot" :(

Paul

Melaka
12th November 2015, 06:09 PM
Back in the autumn of 1962 I was on fishery protection in the North Sea. One night we had a huge number of starlings that roosted on the ship for some hours. I assume they were on migration.

Wee man
12th November 2015, 07:05 PM
Thanks did not know Owls migrated.

pandora
12th November 2015, 07:32 PM
..... At one stage there were 6 Owls on here, don't know what they were doing, but we were making the most of watching them as come December there will be Noel :D:o*zzz:rolleyes::eek: Paul
Obviously they were there rehearsing Carols for your Noel party, Paul ...
I heard a whisper they will sing their own adaptation of, O Howly Night

I'm leaving .. :D *chr

Wee man
12th November 2015, 08:24 PM
They will probably leave before Christmas and not give two hoots.

Ross the fiddler
12th November 2015, 08:55 PM
They will probably leave before Christmas and not give two hoots.

I would have thought they would consider a party on the platform "A Real Hoot!" :p :D

David M
12th November 2015, 10:26 PM
You get the occasional Snowy Owl turning up in the UK some winters. In North America Snowy Owls migrate as far south as they need to, some winters there's lots about, others hardly any.

Olybirder
12th November 2015, 10:51 PM
Migrating Short Eared Owls have been coming in off the sea at Lowestoft Ness, where I spend a lot of my time, recently but I haven't seen any yet this year. A few weeks ago an exhausted juvenile Purple Heron landed on a boat off Southwold. It was brought ashore and transported in a plastic toy box to Carlton Marshes where it was released. Everybody was a bit cautious with it as they tend to strike for the eyes when they feel cornered!

Ron