PDA

View Full Version : Mixed messages.

Petanque
12th November 2015, 08:12 AM
For the last week I have been using my Lumix 14-45mm lens on my O-MD E-M10 and have to say I am very surprised. I always assumed mixing Panasonic and Olympus was a 'no go', previously I was using my Olympus 12-50 almost exclusively but the difference in image quality is amazing. Unfortunately my 12-50 is not so good on my G3. I am sure this has been discussed before, just thought it might be of interest. One other point, I use the OIS rather than ibis with this lens.
Regards
Gary

PeterBirder
12th November 2015, 09:55 AM
Hi Gary.

Four Thirds/Micro Four Thirds is an "Open Standard" originaly developed (and maintained) jointly by Olympus and Panasonic. An important aspect of this is that products from different manufacturers can be used in a "mix and match" fashion.

The Four Thirds Organisation web site, http://www.four-thirds.org/en/index.html has all the background to the standard and all the details of current products. There is even a "matching simulation" which shows you what any combination of camera body and lens physically looks like.

Regards.*chr

Petanque
12th November 2015, 02:25 PM
Thank you Peter, I knew about the four thirds site, it is an excellent source of information. I read a lot of user views on various sites in the past which seemed to suggest that results were poor when mixing brands, which is why I never thought about trying it before now. I must say I am glad I did. Thank you for your helpful and friendly advice.
Regards
Gary.

Kiwi Paul
12th November 2015, 03:12 PM
You can have some fun on that site, I just attached the Sigma 300-800 f5.6 lens to the E-PM1, it looks absolutely ridiculous.

Paul