PDA

View Full Version : 2000th post

Kiwi Paul
12th November 2015, 07:42 AM
I've finally reached the 2000 post milestone :D:eek:
Either that means I'm an enthusiastic, involved forum member or a sad git with nothing better to do ;) lol. Judging by the good company on this forum I think the former statement is true.
I wonder what gear etc I'll have by the time I reach the 3000 post mark?
Now back to work,
Oh forgot to say there's a party on the oil platform to celebrate...all welcome *chr:D:rolleyes:

Paul

Barr1e
12th November 2015, 07:46 AM
Congratulations Paul.

Regards. Barr1e

IainMacD
12th November 2015, 08:04 AM
Well done Paul!

Walti
12th November 2015, 08:09 AM
Will my sat nav get me to the rig for the party? I'm sure my VW diesel say's it'll drive on water, or is that another lie it's telling me?

Kiwi Paul
12th November 2015, 08:16 AM
Will my sat nav get me to the rig for the party? I'm sure my VW diesel say's it'll drive on water, or is that another lie it's telling me?

You can only try, just type in "Piper Bravo", it's a bit windy today though so be careful of big waves and strong gusts, I'll save a bottle of alcohol free beer for you *chr

Paul

mstphoto
12th November 2015, 08:23 AM

Expect a phone call soon - "have you been missold TDi?" :D

mstphoto
12th November 2015, 08:24 AM
Well done Paul *chr

raymondo
12th November 2015, 08:43 AM
Very well done Paul, heres looking forward to the next 2000*chr

Wee man
12th November 2015, 09:19 AM
Well done on your 2000 I believe a name change is taking place?

Kiwi Paul
12th November 2015, 09:25 AM
Well done on your 2000 I believe a name change is taking place?

Thanks Ed, yes I asked Ian to change my username, he's done it on the other forum but not on here yet. Watch out for Kiwi Paul, different username but the same high quality posts you are all used to :p;):rolleyes:

Paul

pandora
12th November 2015, 09:58 AM
Sounds like a great party coming up, wish I could be there. Will Santa be there with Dasher, Dancer and Prancer, Paul?
Whether he will be or not I'm sure that what you can recall after the event, y'all will swear that he was! *reindeer *reindeer *waving *reindeer

Kiwi Paul
12th November 2015, 11:24 AM
Sounds like a great party coming up, wish I could be there. Will Santa be there with Dasher, Dancer and Prancer, Paul?
Whether he will be or not I'm sure that what you can recall after the event, y'all will swear that he was! *reindeer *reindeer *waving *reindeer

Last week all sorts of birds were landing on the platform during their migration, at one stage there were 6 Owls, that was in November, I told folk to make the most of it because in December there will be No-el :p:eek::rolleyes::D:o

Paul

OM USer
12th November 2015, 11:49 AM
Looking forward to the next 2000

Ross the fiddler
12th November 2015, 01:05 PM
Thanks Ed, yes I asked Ian to change my username, he's done it on the other forum but not on here yet. Watch out for Kiwi Paul, different username but the same high quality posts you are all used to :p;):rolleyes:

Paul

I noticed the change over yonder & was looking to see if it has happened here. Good to see the 2000 postings, but keep going & you'll eventually catch up to us sad gits that have nothing better to do than clock up thousands of posts. ;) :D

*chr

Naughty Nigel
12th November 2015, 01:45 PM

According to Apple Maps you rig is just off Junction 12 of the M6! :D

Kiwi Paul
12th November 2015, 01:54 PM

It's actually 120 odd miles north east of Aberdeen east of the Orkney Islands.

Paul

Naughty Nigel
12th November 2015, 02:10 PM

It's actually 120 odd miles north east of Aberdeen east of the Orkney Islands.

Paul

Not according to Apple Maps, but then I gather quite a few people got a dunking driving to places they thought were on dry land! :D

PeterBirder
12th November 2015, 04:12 PM
Not just 2000 posts but 2000 quality posts Paul.

Actually we do have one member who "drives" a Standby Safety Vesel so it's not entirely impossible for you to have one of us join your party.:D

Regards.*chr

Wee man
12th November 2015, 04:42 PM
Is an odd mile longer or shorter than a standard mile? Was surprised to hear about the Owls does the light bring them in?

Kiwi Paul
12th November 2015, 04:46 PM
Not just 2000 posts but 2000 quality posts Paul.

Actually we do have one member who "drives" a Standby Safety Vesel so it's not entirely impossible for you to have one of us join your party.:D

Regards.*chr

Awww shucks you know how to make a grown man blush lol :o

I better get the water canons ready to repel all borders!! :D

Paul

Kiwi Paul
12th November 2015, 04:50 PM
Is an odd mile longer or shorter than a standard mile? Was surprised to hear about the Owls does the light bring them in?

I don't know, I think they just see the platform and decide its a nice rest stop, they are migrating across the north sea.

May be the "odd" miles confuses them too and it's further than they thought. :p

Paul

alfbranch
12th November 2015, 05:02 PM
You can only try, just type in "Piper Bravo", it's a bit windy today though so be careful of big waves and strong gusts, I'll save a bottle of alcohol free beer for you *chr

Paul

Paul
The weather I could put up with but not the alcohol free beer :mad:*note

Kiwi Paul
12th November 2015, 05:11 PM
Paul
The weather I could put up with but not the alcohol free beer :mad:*note

I know what you mean *shrug

Paul

Ross the fiddler
12th November 2015, 08:45 PM

Not according to Apple Maps, but then I gather quite a few people got a dunking driving to places they thought were on dry land! :D

The moral of that story is, never trust Apple Maps! :p :D

Zuiko
12th November 2015, 09:41 PM
Oh forgot to say there's a party on the oil platform to celebrate...all welcome *chr:D:rolleyes:

Paul

What time are you sending the helicopter to pick me up? :D

Congratulations on joining the Sad Old Git Club. *chr

Zuiko
12th November 2015, 09:46 PM
Last week all sorts of birds were landing on the platform during their migration, at one stage there were 6 Owls, that was in November, I told folk to make the most of it because in December there will be No-el :p:eek::rolleyes::D:o

Paul

Oh dear, Paul, if you make many jokes like that to your workmates I hope you can swim! :p

Ross the fiddler
12th November 2015, 10:11 PM
What time are you sending the helicopter to pick me up? :D

Congratulations on joining the Sad Old Git Club. *chr

So some of us are 'old' as well as being 'sad gits'? :rolleyes: ;)

David M
12th November 2015, 10:39 PM

So I'm guessing south Staffordshire?

Olybirder
13th November 2015, 11:37 AM
Congratulations Paul. Out of interest is photography allowed on the rigs or is it disallowed for security or privacy reasons? There must some excellent subject material out there (including six owls!)

Ron

Kiwi Paul
13th November 2015, 01:18 PM
Congratulations Paul. Out of interest is photography allowed on the rigs or is it disallowed for security or privacy reasons? There must some excellent subject material out there (including six owls!)

Ron

Thanks Ron,

Photography is allowed but I need to get a work permit and carry a gas meter, I also have to specify the areas I'm wanting to photograph and get a gas check prior so while perfectly acceptable to take photos it's the red tape that makes it difficult and impractical to photograph around the whole platform. Photography in the accommodation is allowed with no issues.

It's actually not that photogenic out here, I have taken photos in the past when I need photos for work and taken a few for myself but they were nothing special and wouldn't really show what it's like out here.
Video's would probably convey it better, I have thought about wearing a helmet video camera and walking from the lowest level (the underdeck) to the highest level (the helideck) to show just how many flights and stairs I get to negotiate most days. The derrick is actually the highest point but only rope access team can go up there.

The owls were only here fleetingly, they were very timid, I saw them or maybe the same one a few times but just as they flew away when they saw me coming.

Paul

PeterBirder
13th November 2015, 09:50 PM

Ron

Hi Ron.

I discovered this old video about Piper Bravo on You Tube that you may find interesting.
Elf Enterprise Caledonia - Piper Bravo Platform B - YouTube

Regards.*chr

Ross the fiddler
13th November 2015, 11:17 PM
Hi Ron.

I discovered this old video about Piper Bravo on You Tube that you may find interesting.

Regards.*chr

That was interesting & not something I would enjoy working on but I can see the attraction there would be for others though. Money would have to be one of them. ;) Thanks for posting this video link.

*chr

Wee man
13th November 2015, 11:31 PM
Watched with interest as above not sure if I could adapt to those working conditions. Power to your elbow Paul!

Olybirder
13th November 2015, 11:34 PM
Yes, that's an interesting video Peter. It makes me remember the old days when Great Yarmouth was a key player in the UK oil and gas industry, before it all moved north. We used to see accommodation modules parked offshore, awaiting service and the harbour was alive with rig support ships on the move. We even had a local American school to meet demand. Alas it has all disappeared now.

Ron

Kiwi Paul
14th November 2015, 08:37 AM
Aye that's the beast, there's been a few changes since that was made but essentially it's the same. Until a month ago I worked on the Piper and the Saltire looking after all the telecoms but now I just do 3 weeks on the Piper and 3 weeks off. There's a couple of faces I recognise too, one guy has recently retired and the other guy is still here.
There's typically 150 people on the Piper at the moment but the Saltire is at it's end of life and is in the first stages of been decommissioned, the last year or so it only had about 16 people on it but at the moment there are about 24.
As the telecom tech I go all over the platform, there's phones and loud speakers everywhere that need maintenance as well as offices throughout the plant that have computers and printers to maintain. There's radios and other equipment associated with comms to the beach around the platform too so plenty to keep me busy. Most disciplines have a team of people but I'm the only telecoms tech on and have to manage my department as well as doing all the work.

Paul

Phill D
14th November 2015, 09:21 AM
That's a fascinating insight into your job Paul, that video was a good spot Peter. I can see the attraction and the challenges but I'm glad I stuck to dry land to be honest. Just you to do all the communication! that sounds a pretty full on task to me. I'm not surprised you need 3 weeks off at a time.