PDA

View Full Version : desk top short cuts

IanB
12th November 2015, 02:00 AM
does having a lot of shortcuts (30-40) on the desktop slow a computer down in anyway? Starting up/shutting down??

How about on the task bar? I have ten down there.

windows task manager has 82 programs working? What would they all be when I'm have only PS/LR/ICE open (editing some wild clouds from AM today

windows task manager: what does physical memory mean? atm 55% / cpu usage 5-9%

:o :confused: :o *yes

Barkly
12th November 2015, 06:56 AM
Ian Shortcuts shouldn't by themselves slow a computer down. However if they have the program working in the breakdown then they will.

Naughty Nigel
12th November 2015, 12:30 PM
The shortcuts are very small files and don't have any effect on system performance.

Kiwi Paul
12th November 2015, 12:41 PM
does having a lot of shortcuts (30-40) on the desktop slow a computer down in anyway? Starting up/shutting down??

How about on the task bar? I have ten down there.

windows task manager has 82 programs working? What would they all be when I'm have only PS/LR/ICE open (editing some wild clouds from AM today

windows task manager: what does physical memory mean? atm 55% / cpu usage 5-9%

Physical memory is the system RAM, typically PC's will have 4GB, 8GB, 16GB or 32GB, when it says 55% is in use it means 55% of the physical RAM has been assigned to an application/s, that's OK but if if is constantly around 75%< then it may be advisable to increase the amount of RAM. It varies depending what an application is doing and how many applications are open. When doing panoramas in photoshop from 5 or 6 photos my desktop PC indicates it's using 80%< of 32GB for a while, if I had less RAM say 16GB it would use all the RAM then also use the hard disk "Swap file" as virtual RAM.

The applications in the task bar are either shortcuts to app's or indicating which apps are in use.

Paul

Naughty Nigel
12th November 2015, 02:07 PM
Windows task manager has 82 programs working? What would they all be when I'm have only PS/LR/ICE open (editing some wild clouds from AM today

I currently have 91 process working on my Windows 7 PC, but this is quite normal and changes all the time.

Many of the processes will be background applications used by Windows, antivirus, print managers, email and other apps that manage data and security. Internet explorer also has several processes running.

If you are having problems with performance have look to see which, if any are hogging processer resources. Very occasionally a rouge app can use 50% or more of the processer power and will stop other apps from working normally. These can usually be terminated by selecting the process and clicking on End Process.

If the problem returns after rebooting have a look on line to see whether other users have reported problems with the same process. If so there will usually be a quick and easy fix.

I recently had a problem with a font accelerator or something (I forget the details) that was using a lot of power on my laptop. One of the articles on line explained that the problem was caused by a corrupt cache file in a hidden folder. I deleted the file and bingo it was fine!