PDA

View Full Version : Why buy a poppy when you can photoshop it?

Zuiko
8th November 2015, 12:14 AM
David Cameron has been left red-faced again, this time by the revelation that a photograph recently released of him was in fact an old one that had a poppy added in Photoshop to make it current.

Now it's easy to make political capital out of this by saying it demonstrates that he is a hypocrite who cares only for his public image and cynically uses good causes like the Poppy Appeal to maintain that image, but doesn't care about what the cause represents. He certainly got a good drubbing for it on Friday's "Have I Got News For You." However, despite my dislike for the man and his policies, I feel this is a little unfair.

Firstly, I believe that he does care about the Poppy Appeal and all it represents. I might accuse him of not caring about the old, sick, disabled and unemployed, of pursuing policies with a political or ideological agenda rather than any sound economic basis. I might accuse him of being out of touch with ordinary people and failing to understand their problems, but I would never accuse him of being unpatriotic or not caring about our fallen heroes.

The chances are that he had nothing to do with the fake poppy photograph, it was no doubt a bad decision taken without his knowledge by one of his team to save time. What concerns me as a photographer is that they couldn't be bothered to arrange a new photograph. It should have been easy enough to fit a 5 minute slot in the Prime Minister's busy day and it would have been a nice little job for a professional photographer. No doubt Cameron already had a poppy, even if he didn't buy it himself - and why should he? After all, that's why he employs minions to assist him!

Phill D
8th November 2015, 08:48 AM
Whilst I think John deserves an honour I doubt this will actually damage his chances very much :D

DerekW
8th November 2015, 11:55 AM
The TV company were very clever in having the poppy move around with the body today on the broadcast from the Cenotaph.

Graham_of_Rainham
8th November 2015, 12:11 PM
I've had my one for years... :rolleyes: