PDA

View Full Version : How much are our photogrpahs worth...?

theMusicMan
21st December 2007, 07:35 PM
OK, I have read a thread over on another forum that has prompted me to have a think about this myself, and start a post here about a similar thing... i.e. the value of our photographs (to others), and the how, if and where we should sell them.

For example, several people have said to me that my picture of the close-up of a Crocodile on the gallery here would actually sell well in online stock photo sites - and I am flattered to hear this, but OK then... if it would sell, how do I determine how much I should sell this for? How do we determine and put a value on the better images we have.

Art Frames (Peter) recently posted a superb image of a plant in the ice and frost that, if I were wanting such a print for my walls, would most certainly consider purchasing for printing and framing. There are many other images on here that I have seen in the short time the site has been around that I'd also consider of worth. But how do we determine how much we should charge for these images.

I have often read that many semi-pro or professional photographers sell many images on stock sites, making thousands each month in the process - I'd love just a fraction of that!

So - over to you good folk. How do you determine the value of a photograph, would you consider selling them online, and if so, where are the best places so to do?

photonutter
21st December 2007, 08:11 PM
Although I take shots fun the shear fun alone, I've had a few companies approach me for limited print use of some of my shots. The going rate I recieved was $250 Thats us dollars per shot, and retain copyright. If your selling a print you'd have to look into printing and framing costs etc.

One of my Professional freinds does sell for thousands, though can be for a B0 sized laminated print, and spends most of his days out trying to sell time at functions etc. Then there's the hassle of getting payment and accountants.

Ultimately I suppose its up to wether or not your happy with what you get.

theMusicMan
21st December 2007, 08:16 PM
OK, so... not meaning to sound as though I am after stealing your ideas, but what do you photograph that commands that revenue for sale and demand for images...? Where do you sell...? How do you promote...?

photonutter
22nd December 2007, 12:48 PM
I dont go out of my way to promote myself as such, but after opening an account on Flickr and entering a few competions purely based for fun, no prizes, interested companies must used bloggs and tag searches for images they want. Next thing you know the emails flood in. Maybe I'm just lucky.

art frames
22nd December 2007, 01:59 PM
Hey John

You said - Art Frames (Peter) recently posted a superb image of a plant in the ice and frost that, if I were wanting such a print for my walls, would most certainly consider purchasing for printing and framing... How kind.

As an artist/framer I have some experience of the worlds of limited and open edition prints and the costs and markets. I'd also recommend you some good reading (If you have a look at the Writers and Artists' yearbook it gives a huge amount of info on markets and contacts) and perhaps a visit to the premier UK show (Spring Fair)at the NEC in the spring.

At the Spring Fair you would get to speak to lots of people who are buyers and sellers and entry would be free if you are seen as a business in this area.
The things I learn make the trip essential for me. I will be there in the Spring.

I'd say that two things govern the price 'your name' and 'the availability'. The web tends to bring the value of artistic work down to commodity pricing. Stock photography is a fraction of the cost of what it was and similarly commissioned art is rarer now that buyers can search for and get so much free or as stock. Commissioned work pays more than 'made for stock' but you need to have a style or product not available any other way or a name that sells.

But I'm pleased you like my image and would always trade you a print on a like for like basis as I'd rather have your work on my walls than mine! :)

I got into framing as I thought it might sell more painting and vice versa. Time will tell. It does give you a better product to sell, but I don't run a gallery yet and this is still only a part time concern for me. I'd not thought about selling framed photography alongside prints and pictures... Its worth thinking about and will be added to the mix.

Hope this helps

Peter

ndl0071
22nd December 2007, 04:30 PM
OK, I have read a thread over on another forum that has prompted me to have a think about this myself, and start a post here about a similar thing... i.e. the value of our photographs (to others), and the how, if and where we should sell them.

For example, several people have said to me that my picture of the close-up of a Crocodile on the gallery here would actually sell well in online stock photo sites - and I am flattered to hear this, but OK then... if it would sell, how do I determine how much I should sell this for? How do we determine and put a value on the better images we have.

Art Frames (Peter) recently posted a superb image of a plant in the ice and frost that, if I were wanting such a print for my walls, would most certainly consider purchasing for printing and framing. There are many other images on here that I have seen in the short time the site has been around that I'd also consider of worth. But how do we determine how much we should charge for these images.

I have often read that many semi-pro or professional photographers sell many images on stock sites, making thousands each month in the process - I'd love just a fraction of that!

So - over to you good folk. How do you determine the value of a photograph, would you consider selling them online, and if so, where are the best places so to do?

Hi Musicman

Like your good self I have been pondering exactly the same questions that you ask, for me I have decided that I need to build a small library of what I call high quality saleable shots, you may very well be ahead of me with this, that said of course you can also sell any photo in isolation. During the course of my research I recently bought a copy of the 2008 "The Freelance Photographers Market Handbook" which you can pick up at WHS or at any good bookshop it cost 14.95 but perhaps it may be cheaper online? or you may find a copy in your local library. It is an extremely worthwhile read if you are serious, it sets out how to approach photo markets, what formats to submit in etc, it also list hundreds of different magazines detailing their different markets and the type of shots they require, how to submit, contact numbers, Editors names, fees paid etc. I guess in general it also depends how much time and money you have to market your pictures and whether or not you intend to sell prints or just electronically via the various websites that are easily available. On the subject of cost, I have researched several photographers websites to see how the 'professionals' lay out price and sell their photos this too would be a worthwhile exercise if you have not already done so.
Hope this helps:)

Haisbro
22nd December 2007, 05:47 PM
I have been selling with Alamy for over 5 years and it is not a get rich quick situation. As for what is a picture worth about 4 weeks ago an Irish company found one of my images on a BBC internet site and wanted to use it for a 2008 calendar. They told me details of things like quantity,useage etc and i used alamys own software to come up with a price, 160. This figure was accepted and i received a copy of a calender in the post the other day. I sell images each month and perhaps earn on average 200 pm. I could not make a living from my work but is pays for my photography and a bit of travel. It is hard work but enjoyable.

H