PDA

View Full Version : No extended warranty?

Wee man
30th October 2015, 05:38 PM
I bought the 40 -150 Pro and TC as a unit well packaged by Olympus in a purpose made box which came with two pouches. Included in the box was a six month extended warranty card. Directions were to register the products and sign up for the newsletter (again). I did so but found the extra six months warranty only recorded to the main lens. I contacted Olympus and was told to remove the TC and re-register it as I may have loaded its details before signing up for the newsletter. I followed their instruction and it still did not register. On contacting them again I was told the extension does not apply to the TC, as to quote part of the reply
" have now been informed the 6 month additional warranty only applied to lenses and cameras"!
So this must mean that the TC is not a lens, back to quote " with the lack of moving parts and only small amounts of electronics internally I hope you'll have a very happy life of use" end quote.
Anyone else found this or did the warranty apply?

Harold Gough
30th October 2015, 07:05 PM
A TC is probably now, together with meniscus lenses, classed by the industry as a "filter".

Harold

Phill D
31st October 2015, 08:04 AM
That seems a pretty petty way to exclude something from an extended warranty. Surely Olympus would have enough confidence in their products to include the TC as well.

benvendetta
31st October 2015, 08:26 AM
Rediculous that the converter is not classed as a lens.

Harold Gough
31st October 2015, 09:13 AM
As there are no moving parts to go wrong in a TC why would you need one? By the same argument, they should have no hesitation in giving one.

Harold

Bikie John
31st October 2015, 10:07 AM
There are electrical connections which could work loose if the soldering was faulty, there are mechanical stresses on the mounts every time you attach/detach ....... and so on.

John

Harold Gough
31st October 2015, 10:38 AM
There are electrical connections which could work loose if the soldering was faulty, there are mechanical stresses on the mounts every time you attach/detach ....... and so on.

John

Possibly, but probably not within the lifetime of the warranty. :D

I have had many film TCs (no electrical contacts) for decades and not one of them has had any such stress problem. The same applies to the Kiron film TCs I have now used, for up to several years, with digital. That said, quality isn't what it used to be and maybe Olympus know that.

Harold

Wee man
31st October 2015, 11:04 AM
Of course if sent for a service just before the two years are up it will come back with a six month warranty.

Harold Gough
31st October 2015, 11:16 AM
Of course if sent for a service just before the two years are up it will come back with a six month warranty.

An interesting idea. As you can't get a service on a lens or camera for anything less that 50, what would they have to cheek to charge for a TC? How might that compare with the cost of a third party warrantee?

Don't forget your rights under the Sale of Goods Act if the item is not of serviceable quality, which includes not failing or succumbing to wear & tear too soon.

Harold

art frames
31st October 2015, 11:30 AM
Ed

This may help

http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/1402/Screen_Shot_2015-03-18.jpg (http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/87397)

I registered mine, just like yours as part of a kit but a while ago and here is my snapshot at the time. I haven't checked to see if it is still the same on the website.

I take records of things because Olympus keep changing websites and losing data.

Getting this registered was not complicated and did not need any complaints etc to get them to accept it.

I suspect you will need to speak to someone a little bit more senior now you have some support.

Peter

art frames
31st October 2015, 11:35 AM
Ed

I haven't checked to see if it is still the same on the website.

Peter

just checked for you the website says

Warranty active until: 03/09/2017

Which means the warranty is 24+6 months as it was registered.

Happy to help

Peter

Zuiko
31st October 2015, 11:50 AM
I bought the 40 -150 Pro and TC as a unit well packaged by Olympus in a purpose made box which came with two pouches. Included in the box was a six month extended warranty card. Directions were to register the products and sign up for the newsletter (again). I did so but found the extra six months warranty only recorded to the main lens. I contacted Olympus and was told to remove the TC and re-register it as I may have loaded its details before signing up for the newsletter. I followed their instruction and it still did not register. On contacting them again I was told the extension does not apply to the TC, as to quote part of the reply
" have now been informed the 6 month additional warranty only applied to lenses and cameras"!
So this must mean that the TC is not a lens, back to quote " with the lack of moving parts and only small amounts of electronics internally I hope you'll have a very happy life of use" end quote.
Anyone else found this or did the warranty apply?

What worries me is that Olympus front line service staff don't appear to know themselves which items qualify for the extended warranty and, if you have quoted them correctly, their use of the English language doesn't fill me with confidence.....:rolleyes:

Wee man
1st November 2015, 10:19 AM
Direct quotes word for word taken out of the reply may have lost some context but not much.