PDA

View Full Version : Android 6 Marshmallow issues

Kiwi Paul
30th October 2015, 04:55 PM
I'm using a Nexus 5 phone and recently upgraded to Android 6, now the time keeps going back from a few minutes to several hours, it's all very random, looking on the web a lot of users with Nexus 5 are getting the same issue, there doesn't seem to be any fix out yet so be aware if you upgrade.

Paul

Wee man
30th October 2015, 05:18 PM
Thanks also Nexus 5 marshmallow user not had that problem but find my WIFI switches itself off at random times the auto sync is the same only it does it at night. I also find Tapatalk loses some of the forums I have set and I have to reload and sign in again.

snaarman
30th October 2015, 05:37 PM
Oo-er. Also N5 and marshmallow here. Great phone BTW. I've not had any problems so far, but I will keep an eye on it.

Pete

Kiwi Paul
30th October 2015, 05:55 PM
I upgraded my phone a couple of days before going offshore and it seemed to be fine until I got offshore where there is no cellphone coverage but the phone is connected to the wifi.
It's a pain as I can use the alarm as the clock keeps changing. Powering the phone off and on restores it to the correct time until it slips back again.

Paul

Wee man
5th November 2015, 10:29 PM
Got another update this morning not sure but now have a security update listed under phone?

Beagletorque
5th November 2015, 11:02 PM
Had the same issue, lost 30 minutes in the night on flight mode and woke up late! Just had the next update. Let's see...

Ross the fiddler
6th November 2015, 01:29 AM
I hope you get a fix for that serious bug quickly. My decision isn't to go to Marshmellow but should I upgrade my Galaxy A3 from KitKat (4.4.4) to Lollipop 5.0.2 as it has only just been made available (from Samsung). When updating (Android) do I need to re-install any apps?

pandora
6th November 2015, 03:54 AM
After a long 'fanship' with Samsung' Galaxy through several model upgrades, I have to conclude that Android is simply an unstable platform. Settings have a nasty habit of changing themselves - for instance, display brightness defaults to energy saving mode without being told to, ringtone inexplicably switches itself off, and when a headset is attached there's no audible ring at all. With all us deafies on here, that isn't good unless one wishes not to be disturbed, in which case it's great. My current GalaxyS6 is a pig of a thing - In spite of some issues with iPhone6, I regret having swapped it for the Galaxy. I've only myself to blame after Lyn having told me so! *shrug So now I've promoted my BlackBerry Q10 as my primary phone - it is completely stable, has the simplest to use and most accurate Sat/Nav app you could wish for, has the best predictive text I've ever used, and a removable battery - but I admit that at first it did take some getting used to.

Note: When I get an update notification I reach for my revolver - updates are indicative that the damned thing wasn't right in the first place, and invariably exacerbate the problem they purport to fix - updates like drugs always have horrible bloody side effects!

Kiwi Paul
6th November 2015, 06:17 AM
Note: When I get an update notification I reach for my revolver - updates are indicative that the damned thing wasn't right in the first place, and invariably exacerbate the problem they purport to fix - updates like drugs always have horrible bloody side effects!

You are been a bit cynical there, updates are often security updates, sometimes to fix bugs and sometimes to add new features or improvements, every platform has updates periodically, even lightroom and photoshop etc, they are not necessarily a bad thing, it's not until a product is released to the mass market that some problems become apparent, and then there are the hackers who find holes to exploit that have to be plugged.
I have no issues with Android per se, it's been fine for most part, this time issue is the only real problem I've ever had. I like my phone and most Nexus 5 owners seem to as well.
I got several updates yesterday including one for the clock but the it hasn't solves the time issue. I'm very surprised Google are taking so long with a fix as a lot of people have the issue.

Paul

Kiwi Paul
6th November 2015, 06:21 AM
I hope you get a fix for that serious bug quickly. My decision isn't to go to Marshmellow but should I upgrade my Galaxy A3 from KitKat (4.4.4) to Lollipop 5.0.2 as it has only just been made available (from Samsung). When updating (Android) do I need to re-install any apps?

Lollipop was fine on my phone so you should be safe enough.
You don't have to reinstall anything, once it's updated the phone will work straight away unless there are problems.
One reason to upgrade is the new operating systems are harder for hackers and malware to infiltrate, not completely immune but more resilient.

Paul

Ross the fiddler
6th November 2015, 07:22 AM
Lollipop was fine on my phone so you should be safe enough.
You don't have to reinstall anything, once it's updated the phone will work straight away unless there are problems.
One reason to upgrade is the new operating systems are harder for hackers and malware to infiltrate, not completely immune but more resilient.

Paul

Thanks for that. It is (I assume) Samsung's version of Lollipop 5.0.2 (with some of their own apps or whatever added) that I would think is being offered. I might let it update during next week then where I can let it download after midnight (off peak internet rates) & plugged into power to make sure it all goes OK.

Beagletorque
6th November 2015, 07:40 AM
No time worries last night, maybe it's fixed?

pandora
6th November 2015, 08:02 AM
You are been a bit cynical there, updates are often security updates, sometimes to fix bugs and sometimes to add new features or improvements, every platform has updates periodically, even lightroom and photoshop etc, they are not necessarily a bad thing, it's not until a product is released to the mass market that some problems become apparent, and then there are the hackers who find holes to exploit that have to be plugged.
I have no issues with Android per se, it's been fine for most part, this time issue is the only real problem I've ever had. I like my phone and most Nexus 5 owners seem to as well.
I got several updates yesterday including one for the clock but the it hasn't solves the time issue. I'm very surprised Google are taking so long with a fix as a lot of people have the issue.
Paul
With all due respect, I rest my case on your last paragraph, Paul.
Is it fair to say that having downloaded those updates just yesterday that new bugs may appear requiring yet another update, and so on?

It seems to me that updates are endless, even with BlackBerry who continually spam me with "security updates" (such as you say).
As I have no real issues with the Q10, I routinely ignore them, and what hacker would bother for as far as I know mine is the last working set in existence.
Like Americans who say, "Iffin it ain't bust then don't try an' fix it".

+ And btw, I've been running PS CS3 for about 8 years and not updated it once, it still works flawlessly and does all I want and much more, no doubt!

OM USer
6th November 2015, 03:34 PM
I'm sticking with KitKat and ignoring the published OTA update to Lollipop as I've heard there may be issue with Kaiten (my favourite email app). So I'm guessing that Marshmallow is a no go for me.

byegad
6th November 2015, 04:05 PM
Lollipop ruined my Nexus 7 last year, from a great little tablet to a frustratingly slow and sticky PoS in one upgrade!

From now on I'll not be upgrading any Android system.

Jim Ford
6th November 2015, 04:28 PM
Lollipop 5.1.1 is fine on my original model Motorola Moto G. No problems upgrading from Kitkat.

The Moto G is basically 'stock' Android. Maybe other 'phone users are having problems because of the 'custom' Androids for their model. If so, it's more down to the 'phone manufactures 'meddling' with Android, rather than Android itself.

I've just got (yesterday) a 'Wileyfox Storm', which has Lollipop 5.1.1 with Cyanogenmod 12 - which also works fine.

(So far the Wileyfox Storm' looks great. Terrific specification for the price.)

Jim

Kiwi Paul
7th November 2015, 06:33 AM
Lollipop 5.1.1 is fine on my original model Motorola Moto G. No problems upgrading from Kitkat.

The Moto G is basically 'stock' Android. Maybe other 'phone users are having problems because of the 'custom' Androids for their model. If so, it's more down to the 'phone manufactures 'meddling' with Android, rather than Android itself.

I've just got (yesterday) a 'Wileyfox Storm', which has Lollipop 5.1.1 with Cyanogenmod 12 - which also works fine.

(So far the Wileyfox Storm' looks great. Terrific specification for the price.)

Jim

The Nexus series of phones are a high end phone marketed directly by Google who choose a manufacturer for each model, the Nexus series get any updates before other brands.
Lollipop worked fine for me and so does Marshmallow apart from the time issue, and to be honest this is the first issue I've had with any of my Android phones and I'm sure a resolution will come.

Paul