PDA

View Full Version : Safe Computing - 28 October 2015

Naughty Nigel
28th October 2015, 02:22 PM
Continuing the theme started by Wally......

I have received a number of emails recently with Microsoft Word files attached. These usually purport to be commercial invoices or receipts.

I received one this morning purporting to be from Ikea regarding the order of some furniture. We haven't ordered anything from Ikea!

The two common factors are that all of these emails have small Word files attached to them (usually 60 - 100 KB), and all appear quite plausible.

Unfortunately, all are infected with malicious code and/or macros!

If you open the files they will usually be completely blank - the malicious code and macros are hidden.

Businesses don't send documents by Word because they are easily edited, and are insecure. (They use Adobe Acrobat files (*.pdf) instead.)

So, if you receive one of these emails simply delete it, and do not try to open the Word file!

Antivirus systems often intercept such messages, but this cannot be guaranteed. Furthermore, the malicious code will often be designed to disable virus protection systems, rendering the machine open to attack.

Magus
28th October 2015, 10:36 PM
My wife received one purporting to be from a court about a case in about three weeks time. We didn't open it - she is very law-abiding! :D

timboo
29th October 2015, 10:07 AM
thats a new one to me using that file type not that i would open it tbh thanks for the heads up.

cliff
30th October 2015, 05:06 PM
Could you Forward emails like this to the fraud squad, or somewhere? *smash*smash*smash