PDA

View Full Version : My E-M1 videos

Dallas
27th October 2015, 11:48 AM
I'm a total noob when it comes to video, but this year on safari I made an effort at recording more video than before and I am glad I did.

Here are a couple of short 2 minute "commercials" I made for what we do. Hope these aren't seen as spam? I am very keen on learning more about the video side of things so I will pay close attention to this board.

A Minute Or Two On The Wild Waterways - YouTube
Some action from Botswana/Namibia.

Ultimate Big 5 Safari 2015 - YouTube
From our Big 5 safari.

Please excuse the loud Nikon and Canon shutters in each video! :D

Graham_of_Rainham
27th October 2015, 12:43 PM
I'm looking forward to seeing what we can do with the v4 firmware as it will give us 4k video (plus a lot of extras)

I've just ordered a couple of lens ring leavers to provide better control of the zoom and focus.

What you have shown us here is good work. It will be very interesting to see how this progresses.

*chr

Dallas
27th October 2015, 01:15 PM
Thanks Graham.

I was under the impression that the new firmware will only provide 4K time lapse, not actual 30fps video. I'd love to be wrong on this however.

I am getting more and more inquiries for video services these days. I can't afford to ignore it anymore, especially considering that billable hours increase dramatically with video production.

IainMacD
27th October 2015, 01:35 PM
Great video footage, I am very impressed.
I was also under the impression it wasn't full 4K video, but a 4K 'burst mode'? But I have known to be wrong :-)

Graham_of_Rainham
27th October 2015, 03:01 PM
I must stop reading rumor sites... :o

Lets face it, very few people have 4K TV and by the time Web Media has scrunched it to fit their platform, what we have already is perfectly adequate.

Better technique will likely produce improved quality more than technology.

*chr

Dallas
27th October 2015, 03:27 PM
My argument against 4K has always been that cr*p in HD is still cr*p so it doesn't matter whether you can see the hair follicles on the subject or not. :)

IainMacD
27th October 2015, 03:28 PM
You are correct Dallas 4K Time Lapse is all that is being added no Movies or Burst Mode (not sure where I got that from?) :confused:

Kiwi Paul
30th October 2015, 03:54 PM
Interesting video's I enjoyed watching them.
I think the Canikon cameras should be fitted with mufflers though, noisy things they are :D;) Sounded like the animals were been machine gunned lol

Paul

Phill D
31st October 2015, 08:22 AM
Really nice videos, glad the admins let you show them. Those Canon & Nikon guys must fill up memory cards at a pretty rapid rate shooting on burst all the time. Sorting out all the images must be a real chore too. Haven't done any video with my EM1 really must give it a go. Wont be in such an exotic location though :( maybe one day.

Dallas
31st October 2015, 09:43 AM
Thanks - I enjoyed making them.

Sometimes when you are in these situations it makes more sense to shoot video than it does stills. Last year we came across this leopard and her 1 year old cub up a tree with an impala kill. I shot some stills, but spent the majority of the time on the sighting taking video with the E-M1 and the 50-200mm lens. As you'll see in this next, slightly longer clip you'll see why this was a better idea (you have to watch to the end to see what happens).

Leopard Tribulations - YouTube

And yes, those DSLR's make an infernal racket!

Imageryone
5th January 2016, 02:10 PM
As I am in the process of buying an EM-5 for videoing my wife's Dog Agility Club as a training aid, I was wondering what would be the best lens to use, and I think I have just seen the answer *yes is that a 50-200 swd 4/3rds lens that you used?

Dallas
5th January 2016, 02:24 PM
Yes it is, but it won't be a good choice for the E-M5 unless you're up for manually focusing it. With dog agility that might end up being a very frustrating exercise!

Imageryone
5th January 2016, 05:48 PM
Any suggestions for a good video lens for the EM-5, it does not need to be mega long, the max I will be using it is 40ft.

Dallas
11th January 2016, 02:05 PM
Honestly, the E-M5 is not a great choice for video. The later models are significantly improved in that department, particularly on the AF side of things.

Gate Keeper
14th July 2017, 08:29 AM
My argument against 4K has always been that cr*p in HD is still cr*p so it doesn't matter whether you can see the hair follicles on the subject or not. :)

I just picked up on this. Nicely shot videos with great clarity. Thank you for sharing. What lenses did you use for the shoot?

Dallas
14th July 2017, 10:17 AM
I believe these would have been a combination of 50-200mm 2.8-3.5 and 40-150mm 2.8 PRO. There might have been some other lenses in the mix for the closer stuff, most likely the 12-40/2.8 PRO.

Gate Keeper
14th July 2017, 07:53 PM
I believe these would have been a combination of 50-200mm 2.8-3.5 and 40-150mm 2.8 PRO. There might have been some other lenses in the mix for the closer stuff, most likely the 12-40/2.8 PRO.

Thank you for getting back. You have really nice lenses for those Safari's. We have a family farm, been in the family since the 1930's, part wine on the Helderberg Mountain. In 2011, we lost the farm to a wild bush fire, blown to us from neighbours who were doing a controlled burn. It took 3 years to rebuild everything back and because of this we never got the chance to visit the Kruger or drive up to Windhoek.

Your Photography Safari's look great! Kenya spoils us too much. However, we do have Cape Leopards, Fish Eagles, Eagle Owls and Buck are living on the farm and mountain, along with those unpleasant snakes! All protected as access is private. We have wonderful views overlooking False Bay and the Cape of Good Hope, the views are special, particularly at sunset. I wonder how I will get on with the Olympus.

Dallas
15th July 2017, 04:49 AM
I had borrowed the 40-150/2.8 from Olympus. To be honest, I think the older 50-200mm is a much better lens for safaris. Better range, better bokeh, better sharpness.

Phill D
15th July 2017, 06:34 AM
Interesting comment Dallas, I've often thought the older lens had better bokeh and regretted selling mine.

Dallas
15th July 2017, 04:32 PM
yes, definitely better in that regard. I found the 40-150mm nervous in the bokeh department. Not always, but often enough to put me off it. If you remove the tripod collar and hood from the 50-200mm it becomes a pretty nimble and versatile wedding lens too.

Phill D
15th July 2017, 06:44 PM
That's also interesting as you say it's not always nervous bokeh. I agree with you again. I assumed it was a particular combination of background to subject to lens distances where it was particularly noticeable. I've never worked out what that combination is though to be able to avoid it. Have you worked it out?
The bokeh is one of the reasons I'm considering swaping the 40-150 +tc for a Panasonic 100-400 as from what I've seen it's a bit more forgiving in its Bokeh rendering plus the longer reach would be nice.

Dallas
16th July 2017, 06:28 AM
Unfortunately the 40-150 was not mine, it was on loan, so I didn't have it long enough to make an in-depth study of where its sweetness began to turn sour. I do think that used with closer subjects and less busy, more distant backgrounds it was great. But if your subject is further away and obviously there is less background separation it loses its shine. This is why it was not a great safari lens for me.

This year I am going back to Sabi Sands (end of August) for another weeklong safari and I have invested in a 1.4x TC for the 50-200 SWD. Initial tests in the garden show that it doesn't appear to lose any sharpness, so I will be able to make a more detailed review on my site when I get back. Actually, I am planning on doing video reviews this year, so expect more Youtube videos in the weeks after I get back, but with the emphasis on gear and experience. :)