PDA

View Full Version : Buttons

Graham_of_Rainham
17th October 2015, 02:13 PM
Being 100% honest, or as close as you can be ;)

How many buttons do you actually use (ignoring the shutter, OK, Menu, ➧) and how often do you forget what the other buttons do :o

Would you prefer to have the whole thing controlled by the touch screen *???

Walti
17th October 2015, 03:17 PM
Mainly use:

Shutter...
Front wheel for exposure compensation
Rear wheel for aperture
OK for quick menu
Menu for main menu
Front button for exposure/DOF preview
AEL button
WB button once
HDR button - just to see what it does

That's about it at the moment. Still learning the camera, am also aware that the firmware update that is due next month (?) will wipe any customisation so haven't tried anything yet!

pandora
17th October 2015, 10:04 PM
Buttons every time for me.

Edit: When I buy a new camera I make it my business to know what they do and can use them.

MargaretR
18th October 2015, 09:02 AM
Nope, can't abide touch screens. I have my f1, f2 and movie buttons all programmed for useful/frequent settings, and it works a treat.

Except when the damn function lever slips to the wrong position and confuses me...!

David M
18th October 2015, 10:28 AM
If the shutter release doesn't count then non. Mine have been set up as digital OM2 since the first time they were powered up.

Imageryone
18th October 2015, 03:23 PM
If the shutter release doesn't count then non. Mine have been set up as digital OM2 since the first time they were powered up.

Same here, except for exposure compensation. Never want to lose a shot by playing with settings :)

alfbranch
18th October 2015, 07:49 PM
Option for both is missing.

Why do you need a mode dial?

Having the option to select ISO 3200 in a couple of clicks would be nice or go from 1/125 sec to 30 second or live time in a couple of clicks woould also be good.

Graham_of_Rainham
18th October 2015, 10:17 PM
Option for both is missing.

No it's not, you just select both... :cool:

David M
18th October 2015, 11:09 PM
No it's not, you just select both... :cool:

I can't see the 'It doesn't matter to me' option. :D

al_kaholik
19th October 2015, 09:20 AM
A combination of touch and physical buttons is always best

OM USer
19th October 2015, 10:09 AM
The current interface is diabolical from the UI aspect. If all you have is a touch screen then you need to use all the screen (the SCP is tiny with different sized "buttons" so some are really small) and have the selected control (aperture, shutteer speed etc) controlled by a slider. Just think of your smartphone settings menu for an example of how it could be with a swipe down to access your favourite settings.

Kiwi Paul
19th October 2015, 03:43 PM
I prefer a combination but generally use buttons more.
I'm waiting for the camera that you talk to to change settings.... "OK Oly load preset one"
Then of course they can talk back..."That's a lovely photo you just took,well done":D;)

Graham_of_Rainham
19th October 2015, 04:19 PM
I prefer a combination but generally use buttons more.
I'm waiting for the camera that you talk to to change settings.... "OK Oly load preset one"
Then of course they can talk back..."That's a lovely photo you just took,well done":D;)

Knowing my luck, it would sound like HAL and keep saying "I'm sorry, I can't do that" :confused:

Kiwi Paul
19th October 2015, 04:23 PM
Knowing my luck, it would sound like HAL and keep saying "I'm sorry, I can't do that" :confused:

LOL, or if Microsoft did it it would say "Are you sure you want those settings?"
"Yes", "OK,please say yes again to confirm or exit to abort"*yes:D
Paul

Graham_of_Rainham
19th October 2015, 04:26 PM
With firmware updates it would speak Japanese by default and Portuguese following a service.

PeterBirder
19th October 2015, 07:23 PM
So...

So far 90.48% want buttons and 38.1% want touch screen. Creative accounting.:D

Of course what it probably means is that a number of people (like me ;) ) have voted for both because we see a benefit of having both to use in whatever combination suits us.

Regards.*chr

PS. Of course it also shows how the result of any poll is much affected by how the question is worded in the first place, but that's potentially getting political.:eek::D

Wee man
19th October 2015, 07:45 PM
Do not really like touch screens, so buttons for me, all asigned a use still changing them as I evolve with camera use. Still cannot get my head around mysets but worried as they seem to get lost with upgrades.

maccabeej
20th October 2015, 06:50 AM
I prefer buttons but I recently had the chance to use a Panasonic GX8 for an hour. They have a focus point system which follows your finger around the screen even when using the EVF. It may take time to get used to but really liked it. Oly take note.

Grumpy Hec
20th October 2015, 06:58 AM
As with others I am not a fan of touch screens on straight forward usability grounds. Far too fiddly out in the field.

I use the SCP via the tippy button thingy, note the technical terminology, but have most of the functions I use set up as a combination of buttons and dials. For me that is one of the strengths of the EM1 in that you can set it up in the way that works for you which in turn means that making images becomes less of an issuing about using the camera and more about the creative act.

Personally I would like more dial and button possibilities on the EM1 - Mk2 along with my much requested fully articulated screen of course.

Hec

andym
20th October 2015, 08:11 AM
along with my much requested fully articulated screen of course.

Hec
Hear hear, I'll be very surprised if we don't see this.

Otto
20th October 2015, 08:12 AM
I like the combination on me E-M5. Pressing OK to bring up the SCP and then using the screen to quickly select the function I want to change works well for me, as does reviewing pictures with a swipe.

Recently though I've been finding the screen blanking just as I was about to touch it and thought the camera was developing a problem. Then yesterday I noticed that I was holding it in such a way that my hand partly obscured the EVF making the camera think I was looking through it, thereby switching to EVF. Duh!

Graham_of_Rainham
20th October 2015, 09:11 AM
One of my biggest problems comes from having to wear gloves, once it gets a bit chilly.

Often the gloves restrict the use of the buttons, but the touch sensitive screen seems easier to use (with the touch tip gloves)

For normal use, especially in the studio, I'm mostly in fully manual and I'm using capture tether and oishare more and more, so the buttons hardly get used.

I have to admit I really like having the duplicate buttons on the grip, as I use the camera in portrait mode a lot.

Olybirder
20th October 2015, 09:20 AM
I prefer buttons but I recently had the chance to use a Panasonic GX8 for an hour. They have a focus point system which follows your finger around the screen even when using the EVF. It may take time to get used to but really liked it. Oly take note.Isn't that feature already on the E-M10 Mark II?

Ron

PeterBirder
20th October 2015, 10:42 AM
Isn't that feature already on the E-M10 Mark II?

Ron

Yes it is and it works much better than I expected it to.:tup

byegad
21st October 2015, 07:25 AM
Hard to answer as I have so many cameras, but by and large the answer is all of them. I assigned the 4 function buttons on my Panasonic G6 for useful settings/changes and do use them all.