PDA

View Full Version : Firmware advice

Petanque
17th October 2015, 08:36 AM
Hi, I have been experimenting with my recently purchased e-m10, my question is regarding the firmware, it is currently 1.0. From my test shots so far I have seen no hint of shutter shock and am tempted to leave the firmware as is rather than going to 1.2. Would appreciate any views on this.
Thanks, Gary

George Dorn
17th October 2015, 08:01 PM
I have never had any problems updating various bodies, but did learn to BE PATIENT! The process can sometimes appear to have stopped.

PeterBirder
17th October 2015, 08:37 PM
I usually do any firmware updates as they are issued. If you don't do one because you think you don't need it and then down the line another is issued which you do need you will have to do all the ones which precede the one you want as they are cumulative. This can be time consuming and a bit messy.

I never experienced "shutter shock" with my E-M5, but I believe some users did. The effect can be variable between different samples of the same camera model and depends on particilar combinations of shutter speed and lens etc.

However, with my recently acquired E-M10 MkII whilst "tuning" it to my likings I found a number of situations where I was getting less than sharp pictures.I eventually discovered that I had inadvertantly turned off "Anti Shock" and this was the problem.

Regards.*chr

Petanque
18th October 2015, 10:24 AM
Thank you Peter, That makes sense, although I can not see there being too many updates in future, but I will update none the less, I am guessing from your comments that I cannot update directly from 1.0 to 1.2?

IainMacD
18th October 2015, 10:27 AM
Thank you Peter, That makes sense, although I can not see there being too many updates in future, but I will update none the less, I am guessing from your comments that I cannot update directly from 1.0 to 1.2?

Plug it in and see, my guess is that it will go direct to 1.2?

PeterBirder
18th October 2015, 08:17 PM

I think it will do 1.1 followed by 1.2
1.1 adds the 0seec Anti shock facility plus an improvement to IS for video.

1.2 gives improved AF precision when using the 40-150mm f2.8 PRO lens.

The Camera Updater will also check for and install updates to the firmware of a lens attached to the camera. For this reason I periodically check my cameras and lenses. I would expect firmware updates for the E-M10 to continue for some while to cover updates related to lens issues and new lens launches.

The Four-Thirds Organisation also has a "Joint Update Service" which will allow you to update lens firmware for Panasonic, Sigma and Tamron lenses (if you should have any) when fitted to an Olympus camera.
http://www.four-thirds.org/en/special/download.html

Regards.*chr

Petanque
19th October 2015, 06:00 AM
Thank you Peter, I did the update yesterday, it updated directly from 1.0 to 1.2. Very straightforward, took 5 minutes exactly. I have set shutter shock to 0 sec. As it was defaulted to off, it will be interesting to see if I notice any difference. Regards, Gary.