PDA

View Full Version : Loving My new Canon Printer

OlyPaul
7th October 2015, 01:35 PM
Been a few years since I owned a printer (been usin Photobox) my my how they have improved,now straight out of the box everyone a perfect match to what's on the screen. I guess having a perfectly calibrated monitor hrlps.:)

Excuse the window light on the edge of the prints lighting the edge.
Should hace closed the curtain more.
http://www.pbase.com/paulsilkphotography/image/161340521/medium.jpg
http://www.pbase.com/paulsilkphotography/image/161506712/large.jpg
http://www.pbase.com/paulsilkphotography/image/161340517/medium.jpg

Graham_of_Rainham
7th October 2015, 01:45 PM
I too use a Canon Printer. It produces all my A5 proofs and general printing.

Best of all it takes Tesco refill ink.

Good to hear it matches the monitor.

All you need now is a calibrated keyboard... ;)

Bikie John
7th October 2015, 04:12 PM
Good info, thanks. Do you ever print black & white? That is a pretty stern challenge for a printer, I'd be interested to know how well it does it.

John

Kiwi Paul
7th October 2015, 04:20 PM
I love doing my own printing, I now have an A2 printer and love to print big, not always full A2 but often between A3 and A2, it's a real pleasure to watch it print then lift the completed print off the printer and view it. Of course there is always the odd disappointment where it prints a bit dark or shadows need to be lifted etc, but easy to correct and print again. To me it's all part of the complete process from clicking the shutter, processing on the PC to the final print coming out of the printer.

Paul

tmy999
7th October 2015, 06:50 PM
Thats great to hear. I've been put off printing and would like to return - any suggestions for both colour and black n' white printers?

Kiwi Paul
7th October 2015, 06:54 PM
Thats great to hear. I've been put off printing and would like to return - any suggestions for both colour and black n' white printers?

It depends on your budget and the maximum size you want to print. There are A4, A3 and A2 printers.

Paul

tmy999
7th October 2015, 06:58 PM
Some suggestions would be nice ;-)

I've done some extra work and looking to treat myself. To be honest that is what I was after, some idea of cost / quality / recommendations.

I previously had an Epson and then a Canon which were both excellent but the cost of ink put me off. I could also do with some ideas on paper - again its been a while, and some idea of type e.g. I tried some linen paper which put a spin on some of my prints.

Simon

Bikie John
7th October 2015, 08:17 PM
Simon - I had a quick look around the market recently as a friend was interested and I was also worried that my 10-year-old Epson R2400 might be on its last legs. I stress that this was only a quick look so apply appropriate pinches of salt. My prime requirement is to get B&W prints that are as good as colour.

Conclusions I came to:

1. It looks as if it is between Epson and Canon. HP seem to have dropped out of this market.

2. For good B&W you need a printer with multiple black inks (shades of grey, but let's not go there :) ).

3. For proper photo quality (i.e to make it worthwhile not to send your files off) there are no A4 options any more. Canon and Epson each have an A3+ for "consumer" use, they cost in the region of 600. For bigger you are looking at the pro models which will be much bigger, more solidly built, and have at least one extra digit in the price.

I repeat - this was from just a quick look around so don't take it as gospel. I suspect that the newer Epsons will be (a bit) cheaper to run than my old one as they now have bigger ink cartridges.

For paper - I am a big fan of Fotospeed. They have two ranges - the "Pigment Friendly" which are plastic-coated, cheap, and very good, and "Fine Art" which are more fibre-like, more expensive and very good indeed. I really like their Platinum Gloss. They provide a free service for their own papers where you print a test chart and post it to them and they will analyse it and email you a custom profile.

Permajet do something similar and they have some fans on here. I strongly suspect that their papers are just as good as Fotospeed's - I wouldn't be surprised if they come from the same factories.

Good luck ... John

Jim Ford
7th October 2015, 08:23 PM
I use an A4 Canon Pixma iP4850 (which was around 50), with a continuous inking system. With 7Dayshop paper, the cost of prints is trivial.

Jim

DerekW
8th October 2015, 01:42 AM
but what do you do with the prints after you have shown them to your pals?

If you trash them it is the same as burning 5 notes.

Kiwi Paul
8th October 2015, 07:04 AM
but what do you do with the prints after you have shown them to your pals?

If you trash them it is the same as burning 5 notes.

Frame them and hang them, I swap them around periodically. It's not that expensive, I've estimated an A2 print costs me about 1.70ish including paper and ink used.

Paul

Jim Ford
8th October 2015, 08:29 AM
I've estimated an A2 print costs me about 170ish including paper and ink used.

One hundred and seventy pounds per print? Really?

Jim

Kiwi Paul
8th October 2015, 08:40 AM
One hundred and seventy pounds per print? Really?

Jim

Dot has been added :rolleyes:

mstphoto
8th October 2015, 08:56 AM
I still use a Kodak printer
Cheap as chips to run and for refills - and it produces more than reasonable prints.
A few years ago when shooting weddings I used it for 6x4 proof prints.
If I print straight from Photoshop, the colours are spot on but not so if using the Kodak software.
Even judges at Camera Club competitions commented on good print quality.
Pity they don't do an A3 version though ;)

Mike

yorky
8th October 2015, 10:27 AM
I just bought a new canon A3 printer Pro 100s, It works well but the price of ink is eye watering.

Naughty Nigel
8th October 2015, 12:23 PM
I had an Epson R700 printer for several years. Print quality when it worked well was outstanding, but I wasted a lot of expensive ink and paper trying to achieve that! Every time I switched it on it needed at least one new ink cartridge, and at 14.00 a pop..... :(

As a result it suffered from lack of use, which made it even more expensive to run so it went to a charity shop in the end.

(I do have a colour laser printer which is remarkably good for most photographs and is very cheap to use - 6,000 pages from each yellow, magenta and cyan cartridge, and 9,000 pages from the black cartridge!)

I would really like a good A3+ photo printer so I am interested in the comments here. For now I get mine printed on proper photographic paper by Peak Imaging.

tmy999
8th October 2015, 01:05 PM
Paul

So what is your setup to achieve 1.70 a print?

Have you factored the cost of the printer into this? My thinking being, it might be cheaper to get them printed commercial to avoid the hassle, wasted/spoiled prints etc.

I would like to print some but the cost of an A2 size printer, associated ink and paper is not proving attractive hence my interest.

Simon

Otto
8th October 2015, 05:00 PM
I have an Epson 3800 A2 printer. There are nine ink cartridges that cost around 40 each but they last for ages, making it much cheaper to run than A4 and A3+ Epsons as the cost per ml of ink is around a third. Print quality is superb and I've yet to have a problem with clogging, something my smaller Epsons have suffered from rather too frequently. In fact the 3800 was purchased when my 2100 appeared to have a terminal blockage and I needed to make prints quickly for an exhibition. The current equivalent is I think the 3880 which has a slightly different ink set. The three grey/black inks produce excellent black and white prints, and for an A2 machine it's quite compact too.

Jim Ford
8th October 2015, 06:44 PM
I have an Epson 3800 A2 printer. There are nine ink cartridges that cost around 40 each but they last for ages,

Gulp - 360 for a set of cartridges!

Jim

Kiwi Paul
8th October 2015, 06:50 PM
I have an Epson 3800 A2 printer. There are nine ink cartridges that cost around 40 each but they last for ages, making it much cheaper to run than A4 and A3+ Epsons as the cost per ml of ink is around a third. Print quality is superb and I've yet to have a problem with clogging, something my smaller Epsons have suffered from rather too frequently. In fact the 3800 was purchased when my 2100 appeared to have a terminal blockage and I needed to make prints quickly for an exhibition. The current equivalent is I think the 3880 which has a slightly different ink set. The three grey/black inks produce excellent black and white prints, and for an A2 machine it's quite compact too.

I have the Epson P800 A2 printer, I think that is the current equivalent, it also uses 9 inks, they are 80ml so last a long time and as you point out offer better value for money than the smaller 15ml cartridges found in A4 and A3 printers, although if they all needed to be replaced at once would be expensive at 40 each.

Paul

Otto
8th October 2015, 07:21 PM
I just had to buy three but unlike the smaller printers you can carry on printing until the cart empties, replace the cart and finish the print. It's impossible to see the point on the print where the cart was changed - pretty impressive :). This is presumably because the carts don't reside on the print head but in the body of the printer, so they can be changed without disturbing the position of the head.

Naughty Nigel
8th October 2015, 07:35 PM
I have an Epson 3800 A2 printer. There are nine ink cartridges that cost around 40 each but they last for ages......

How much did the printer cost new I wonder?

I note that there are several on eBay at the moment, all being sold at very reasonable prices.

There also seem to be plenty of very cheap ink cartridges going. I wonder how good they are?

Ulfric M Douglas
8th October 2015, 08:05 PM
...I've estimated an A2 print costs me about 1.70ish including paper and ink used.l
Thats incredible!

Kiwi Paul
8th October 2015, 08:27 PM
Thats incredible!

It's hard to estimate, the Epson paper I'm using is 35 for 25 A2 sheets 1.40 per sheet, it depends how much ink is used, to replace all 9 inks is 360 but certain colours will get used more than others and some not at all, its very hard to calculate the cost until I've printed off enough to get an idea, even if I used 1.60 of ink per print which seems a lot then it's still only 3 per A2 print which isn't bad really considering the quality of the print.

Paul

Otto
9th October 2015, 08:23 AM
How much did the printer cost new I wonder?

I note that there are several on eBay at the moment, all being sold at very reasonable prices.

There also seem to be plenty of very cheap ink cartridges going. I wonder how good they are?

The printer cost around 700 plus VAT new in 2007 or 2008, I forget exactly when I bought it. Half the cost of the machine was the ink! I have always used genuine Epson cartridges in it, bought from reputable dealers. Some do get used up much more quickly than others, the magenta which is about to run out has a use by date of 2011 but I haven't noticed any deterioration.

Kiwi Paul
9th October 2015, 08:56 AM
The printer cost around 700 plus VAT new in 2007 or 2008, I forget exactly when I bought it. Half the cost of the machine was the ink! I have always used genuine Epson cartridges in it, bought from reputable dealers. Some do get used up much more quickly than others, the magenta which is about to run out has a use by date of 2011 but I haven't noticed any deterioration.

The P800 is about 950 inc a set of ink carts, there is a paper roll attachment too for about 200.
I don't really see the point in using "cheap" ink carts with printers of this caliber, you want the best print quality and also cheap inks are more at risk of causing blockages and fading sooner if that is a concern.

Paul

tomphotofx
9th October 2015, 10:23 AM
There is an App for calculating the printing costs of various Epson printers and paper sizes, it's The Epson LFP Ink Cost Calculator App available from the App Store and Google Play. It can come in handy for many of us who wish to keep track of our Photographic expenses. Remember the larger the ink tanks the cheaper the prints, always use good quality paper and never use compatible inks because they can be very inconsistent in colours etc.

Tom

Kiwi Paul
9th October 2015, 01:04 PM
There is an App for calculating the printing costs of various Epson printers and paper sizes, it's The Epson LFP Ink Cost Calculator App available from the App Store and Google Play. It can come in handy for many of us who wish to keep track of our Photographic expenses. Remember the larger the ink tanks the cheaper the prints, always use good quality paper and never use compatible inks because they can be very inconsistent in colours etc.

Tom

Thanks for that, it doesn't have my printer yet but using the closest printers it averages ink out about 2 per A2 print at full resolution. So looking in the ball park of about 3 per A2 print for round figures for ink and paper.

Paul

Kiwi Paul
9th October 2015, 01:09 PM
Paul

So what is your setup to achieve 1.70 a print?

Have you factored the cost of the printer into this? My thinking being, it might be cheaper to get them printed commercial to avoid the hassle, wasted/spoiled prints etc.

I would like to print some but the cost of an A2 size printer, associated ink and paper is not proving attractive hence my interest.

Simon

See my previous post on here, it probably works out about 3 per A2 print at full resolution. That is only factoring the paper and ink.
Photography is my hobby, I enjoy the process right through and enjoy printing my own pictures, I soft proof, I can choose the paper I prefer and if it's not right print it again. I like to be in control of the whole process, yes if its just prints you want then getting them printed commercially is a cheaper option when you factor in the entire outlay but for me that takes some of the fun out of it.
We spend a fortune of cameras and lenses and accessories etc so I don't mind spending it on printing too.

Paul