PDA

View Full Version : stormy marriage

IanB
2nd October 2015, 03:48 AM
A stormy marriage; that's how I 'read this photo (http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2015/oct/01/sydney-wedding-photograph)'. How do you see it?

But then I see most set up wedding photos as a "fake take" and the importance of wedding photography/albums/photos as such a massive over kill. Good luck to those who can milk the cream from those who think their wedding is so important dollar-spend wise.

Iansky
2nd October 2015, 06:57 AM
I see it as "Contradiction", the stark reality of the working life contrasted against the beauty of nature that offers relaxation.

Great image though and you can see why it went viral.

OM USer
2nd October 2015, 10:57 AM
Interesting critique in the article. I too thought of Vetriano but his characters have much more personality, in this photo the people are merely add ons rather than the subject. The sky is more turneresque but then Turner also adds a bold frontpiece as the subject. Its a nice shot, no more, with or without the wedding couple.

Naughty Nigel
2nd October 2015, 10:58 AM
I bet her dress got muddy though! *yes

shenstone
2nd October 2015, 11:27 AM
The article just reads as it if is from a hack journalist critic upset that type if image gets more on-line reads than he does

or am I just being cynical *yes*yes*yes

Bikie John
2nd October 2015, 01:30 PM
The article is written by Jonathan Jones. He has plenty of previous. Generally if something is popular he seems to feel duty-bound to dismiss it.

John

Olybirder
2nd October 2015, 01:41 PM
I bet her dress got muddy though! *yesYes, she will be lucky if they refund her deposit when she returns it to the hire shop. :)

Ron

MargaretR
2nd October 2015, 03:42 PM
The article just reads as it if is from a hack journalist critic upset that type if image gets more on-line reads than he does

or am I just being cynical *yes*yes*yes

No, you're not. This is the same man who recently caused another upset by slagging off Terry Pratchett's last book as rubbish, and in the same piece admitting he'd never bothered to read any of Pratchett's work, which presumably he felt was beneath his rarified sensibilities.

No, I don't think it's a 'spectacular' picture either, but neither do I go all pretentious a***hole about it. :D

Bill Gordon
2nd October 2015, 09:21 PM
I like the image..could have been staged but what the heck it does create interest and comments!!