PDA

View Full Version : Lost the plot... Political

Wally
30th September 2015, 12:32 PM
Who ever stole the barn door... Taking the Proverbial (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cambridgeshire-34392667)

please return it pronto!

angelpaaul
30th September 2015, 12:54 PM
Words fail.......!!

Zuiko
30th September 2015, 03:26 PM
They should be deported on the next available flight with no right of appeal. :mad:

Naughty Nigel
30th September 2015, 09:53 PM
Words fail indeed! :(

But the fact is, there will be a lawyer, (or more likely lawyers) somewhere making a very comfortable living out of arguing these mens' cases at our expense.

And they will continue to argue and appeal and argue and appeal for as long as the system allows them to; all at our expense of course.

Whilst I am happy that we welcome genuine asylum seekers and refugees to our country it must be on the understanding that they abide by and respect our laws and customs.

I can never understand why anyone would risk their lives and travel thousands of miles to escape from one hell-hole only to recreate that hell-hole in a foreign land. :confused:

Zuiko
1st October 2015, 12:38 AM
I can never understand why anyone would risk their lives and travel thousands of miles to escape from one hell-hole only to recreate that hell-hole in a foreign land. :confused:

Totally agree with your post, Nigel, including in general terms the final sentence. However, let's not forget that in this particular case the three men were Libyan soldiers who were in this country by official invitation for training. I'm not sure if that makes it even worse; however you look at it their behaviour is shocking and appalling. I believe they applied for asylum since their convictions for this crime and ironically it is possible they might be in some danger upon their return to Libya precisely because of this crime. There is certainly no mention of the other 297 Libyan cadets seeking asylum. However, in this circumstance I don't care - these three deserve whatever fate awaits them upon their return to their own country. :mad:

Wally
1st October 2015, 02:41 PM
Just when you thought it couldn't get any more rediculous... More than 600 Jamaican nationals are in UK jails but cannot be deported because of Jamaica's poor prison conditions. The UK is to spend 25m on building a prison in Jamaica so that foreign criminals in the UK can be sent home to serve sentences in the Caribbean.

Since when has conditions of prisons in the perpetrators country been our problem? Victims and taxpayers getting a double whammey... I'm left wondering how many others of the same ilk are being kept for the same reason and why should we be paying for their keep?

drmarkf
1st October 2015, 03:16 PM
Since when has conditions of prisons in the perpetrators country been our problem?

Pinko liberal that I may be (but without beard or sandals, and I read the Indie), I believe you have a good point there.

As long as the home country is democratic and/or there isn't reasonable cause to expect that they're going to get their human rights abused on return (neither apply to Jamaica, surely), then what the hell is going on here?

Naughty Nigel
1st October 2015, 08:11 PM
As I said last night, there will be a lawyer, (or more likely lawyers) somewhere making a very comfortable living out of arguing these peoples' cases; all at our expense.

These lawyers have no interest in the criminals (only the money they can make from representing them), and they certainly have no interest in the victims.

You can also be sure they and the lawyers' families won't have to share a neighbourhood with the criminals any time soon.

Zuiko
1st October 2015, 08:38 PM
As I said last night, there will be a lawyer, (or more likely lawyers) somewhere making a very comfortable living out of arguing these peoples' cases; all at our expense.

These lawyers have no interest in the criminals (only the money they can make from representing them), and they certainly have no interest in the victims.

You can also be sure they and the lawyers' families won't have to share a neighbourhood with the criminals any time soon.

The root problem isn't really the lawyers, they merely operate within the Law as it stands and will naturally use it to their advantage in any way that they can, as do bankers and insurance underwriters et al in their own respective fields. What we need is a government that will recognise and acknowledge the problems and have the balls to make the necessary changes to the Law that we so desperately need. :(

OK, I know that membership of the EU presents certain barriers to this, but rather than pontificate about whether we should stay or leave, why don't we just unilaterally announce that we are no longer subject to certain aspects of EU law and go our own way? The rest of Europe will then have to decide whether to accept our decision or expel us. This would be far more expedient than negotiating complicated treaty changes or holding a referendum, we simply call their bluff and put the ball in their court.

Naughty Nigel
1st October 2015, 08:46 PM
OK, I know that membership of the EU presents certain barriers to this, but rather than pontificate about whether we should stay or leave, why don't we just unilaterally announce that we are no longer subject to certain aspects of EU law and go our own way? The rest of Europe will then have to decide whether to accept our decision or expel us.

Agreed. Except the villains concerned would run crying to the ECHR, claiming that we were infringing their right to a family life or whatever this week's whinge is. And that would give the lawyers a field day (including a certain Cherie Booth)!

(Indeed, without the lawyers, I doubt that the villains wouldn't know where to start the process!)

But I wonder, what would the French do in the same circumstances? I sometimes feel the UK is about the only European country that takes any notice of EU law. Most others, especially the French, just do what is in their own best interests.

Zuiko
1st October 2015, 09:00 PM
But I wonder, what would the French do in the same circumstances? I sometimes feel the UK is about the only European country that takes any notice of EU law. Most others, especially the French, just do what is in their own best interests.

That's exactly what I propose we should do. If necessary we should add another tier to our Supreme Court that can override the ECHR, we needn't dispense with the ECHR completely because there are many good things about it but we do need to overrule it when it is in our national interest.

Iansky
2nd October 2015, 07:20 AM
We are all doomed!!!

Zuiko
2nd October 2015, 08:41 AM
We are all doomed!!!

Well, yes, we probably are but being British no doubt we will find some way of coping with it all quite stoically. :rolleyes: