PDA

View Full Version : E-P5 question

Petanque
27th September 2015, 03:48 PM
I recently purchased the above camera to replace my E-PL5, which I really liked but having handled the E-P5 the ergonomics along with another one or two key features made me decide on the change.
I have a question regarding auto focus, in P and A modes ( my normal use) the camera achieves focus very quickly, however after focus is achieved there is a sound, a bit like it is still searching or a motor running for a couple of seconds. Does anyone know what is causing this, I can not find any reference to it anywhere.
Thanks
Gary.

pdk42
27th September 2015, 06:35 PM
I suspect it's the IBIS Gary. It makes slight hissing/whiring sound. Perfectly normal!!

PeterBirder
27th September 2015, 10:46 PM
Yes, its the "Seven Dwarfs" who operate the IBIS cheerfuly humming as they push the sensor around in response to the operator shaking the camera.:D

At least that was the explanation someone gave when there was some consternation from early users of the E-M5 who thought their cameras were faulty when the system was first introduced.

Regards.*chr

Petanque
28th September 2015, 06:31 AM
Thanks to you both, yes, I turned the ibis off to test the theory and sure enough the motor sound disappeared. I am using my 17mm lens at the moment so probably dont need ibis, but am much re assured for the times I do use it. Thanks again
Gary.

pdk42
28th September 2015, 04:54 PM
I never turn the IBIS off. I've never detected any negative impact from it. In fact, even when it's off, it still sort of on since the sensor has to be held still by the coils.