PDA

View Full Version : Any phone hackers here? (Cyanogenmod)

snaarman
26th September 2015, 03:05 PM
Here's a tale of woe.

My wife's Samsung Galaxy4 mini just turned over and died. We took it to carphone warehouse where we bought it because it was in its 24 month warranty. It went away. It came back, not repaired, water ingress and here's the picture of your phone to prove it: An awful PCB with wet marks and staining: So - its not a warranty job and we are stuffed.

OK. Nothing to lose; I open the phone because (1) I design electronics: (2) I'm nosey: And (3) we know we didn't drop it in water. It turns out *that the photo on the report is not the inside of our phone* There is a tiny stain in ours but not enough IMHO to crash the thing. I cleaned the board. It never worked again. It's a main board fail.

So, I'm not impressed with CPW and I will never use them again. What you do is up to you...

ANYWAY :-) .. What to do? I buy a Samsung Mini on eBay for 10 quid. Yes, a first generation mini smartphone that actually works for ten quid! Val uses it for a week until we buy a new Vodafone smartphone.

So now the ten quid wonder is mine to hack. I manage to root it. Then I find out how to unlock it from the Vodafone network. Then I install a custom backup ROM and then I install Cyanogenmod 7 ("CM7" is you say if you are cool) which is a rewritten version of Android Gingerbread. Yes it works* As a result I have removed all the Samsung and Vodafone junk that filled the phone and made it slow. Then I found the dangerous options part of CM7 and I have overclocked it by 30%. Yes it still works, does phone, text, email and internet and it is nicer to look at and faster to use.

Yay! I is a phone hacker. How cool is that.

Pete

*This is a 15 stage process and a serious nerdfest. At any point you could brick your phone with no way back. But hey, it was only ten quid.

Jim Ford
26th September 2015, 03:30 PM
I considered cyanogen mod on my Moto G and asked a fairly straightforward question on the forum, but didn't get any replies. I thought that if that's the sort of response I'd get to any problems I encounter, I'd better not bother with it - so I haven't.

Jim

Adagio
26th September 2015, 03:47 PM
I hope you are not going to let CWH get away with it. Ask for a replacement and threaten them with Trading Standards if not forthcoming.

snaarman
26th September 2015, 03:47 PM
You are pretty much on your own with phone hacking. Most of the web links don't work. And the ones that do are a bit iffy. Virus scan every file you download. Compare several different sources of ingormay before you proceed.

It isn't something I would do to an expensive phone, but it is fun.

Sent from dobby the house phone.

P

snaarman
26th September 2015, 03:49 PM
Ps. I'm only a small phone and I sometimes get words wrong.

OM USer
26th September 2015, 05:29 PM
I suscribe to "Android Magazine" (having started when it was called "PDA Essentials and GPS Advisor" issue 43 in October 2005) which describes these sorts of modifications in some detail so I'm impressed with what you have managed to achieve. I'm only on my second smart device (still in warranty) in that many years so I have restricted myself to several rooted apps. The first smart device was a Windows Mobile phone which still works but for which there no major modifications although it does run a couple of XDA extensions.

al_kaholik
26th September 2015, 06:45 PM
Well done Pete!

Previously used CM for a long time on Samsung Galaxy S3 and S3 LTE. Both brilliant with CM installed. I used nightly updates for ages, rooted, network unlocked them etc.

Its pretty satisfying when it works, but you can mess it up and its frustrating when it goes wrong! Especially if its your only phone...

Currently have a Kazam Tornado 384 which is brilliant and cheap BUT no LTE with it. Also there aren't a lot of custom ROMs for it, but the vanilla install is pretty good. I have been spoilt with features from later versions of Android through CM

Simon Bee
26th September 2015, 08:18 PM
Yes, well done indeed Pete,

Slightly of topic ...........

I'm not very impressed with another arm of CPW parent company, i.e. PC World. I have a 2008 Mac Pro ( the enormous Aluminium mother of all ) which recently developed a fault, it would start to boot and just after the Apple logo appeared the screen would go all pale blue and lots of white squares appear. Now I don't know much about the inner workings of a computer but thought that due to the appearance of the white squares it was most likely a graphics card problem.

So, having bought it as an ex-display from PC World in 2009 I thought I would take it back to them to fix. They said they could not fix it in store and it would have to be sent off, I would hear from the repair centre in five days. More than ten days past before they replied stating that they could not fix it for the parts for such a vintage machine were no longer available :eek:

I think they just wanted to flog me a new 3k Mac Pro :mad:

Upon its return I took it to a local independent computer repair shop for them to look at. Later that day the proprietor rang me to say ..... 'they haven't even opened it up, there are no marks to the screws and the dust that accumulates over time was still inside ( :mad: ) and oh all that's wrong is a faulty graphics card' . Can you fix it? I ask ...... 'oh yes, no problem' , what will be the cost? I ask ...... '60.00 and you can have it back this afternoon' *yes

So guess what ...... I will no longer use PC World and most likely any other Dixon Group company in future ........ parts no longer available my foot, shame on you PC World.

Kind regards, Simon

Jim Ford
14th November 2015, 09:20 PM
Resurrecting an oldish thread:

My 1st generation Moto G was a bit tight on memory and only 3G, so I bought a Wileyfox Storm.

For the price, it's has an amazing specification and apart from the battery capacity I'm very impressed and pleased with it. It comes with cyanogenmod 12.1, which is a big improvement over Lollipop 5.1

After I got the Wileyfox I installed cyanogenmod 12.1 on the Moto G. This resulted in an improvement in perceived speed and left a lot more memory available without the 'bloatware'.

Jim