PDA

View Full Version : For users of AVG free.

Miketoll
24th September 2015, 07:47 AM
They are going to change their privacy policy so they can sell your browsing history. Anomalously of course but they apparently admit that they cannot guarantee that personal information will not be leaked. The link also has links to an AVG blog and to the actual terms and conditions which will come into force on 15/10/2015.
And you thought it was just Windows 10? It looks like it is going to become the norm, if you don't like it either pay up for the full paid for version or move on.

http://news.softpedia.com/news/avg-proudly-announces-it-will-sell-your-browsing-history-to-online-advertisers-492146.shtml

al_kaholik
24th September 2015, 08:09 AM
I binned AVG a long time ago. It got bloaty and hampered computer speed significantly.

What companies need to realise is that its very easy to swap anti virus provider if a consumer doesn't like it and actually knows their data is being sold. Social media is a little different to opt out of if you are a power user

Wally
24th September 2015, 09:25 AM
It seems that selling off data has become the norm for many of the big names. I've recently been getting spam by the truckload with my name in the text which shows just how prolific the problem has become. Unfortunately, it's only going to get worse now that the big three are into tied down OS systems.

Why do free Apps now require bank details in order to download supposedly 'FREE' items when they require contact email addresses/password as part of the OS registration. I don't trust my own bank with my details and I'm damned sure I trust Google et al, even less.

al_kaholik
24th September 2015, 09:37 AM
I'm happy with Google having my data, I see a result in the searches etc. Most companies just want to sell it with no benefit to me

mm500
24th September 2015, 09:51 AM
Thanks for the heads up. I'll have to have a little look around as last time I paid for Norton it gave me huge problems and they refunded me almost instantly. I think that is not their normal practice so I must have got my poiint across somehow....

The Technician
24th September 2015, 11:50 AM
The free version of Avast is good.

shotokan101
25th September 2015, 07:53 AM
Another vote for Avast here - been using it for years after AVG got so bloaty and troublesome and had no problems

Wee man
25th September 2015, 08:59 AM
Have been using avast for s few years since recommended by technician it has continued to do a good job.

timboo
30th September 2015, 06:16 AM
Another vote for Avast here - been using it for years after AVG got so bloaty and troublesome and had no problems

Agree had avast for about 14 years never let me down and I even pay for it now im that happy.

pandora
30th September 2015, 07:01 AM
AVG is a corporate bad guy. Having it installed on my system for a while it began to misbehave so I decided to uninstall it, but it won't let you.
In desperation I went into the bowels of my machine to purge it by deleting its files, just like Dave and HAL in A Space Odyssey 2001 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2001:_A_Space_Odyssey_(film)).
But he continues to send pop up messages begging me to reinstall Him - I'm "Dave" and 'I'm sorry AVG, I can't do that' :D

My advice; if you want anti-virus protection, as good as any, use Microsoft Security Essentials, or avoid nasty websites and practice safe sex! *chr