PDA

View Full Version : Lumix 20mm 1.7 on E-PL5

Petanque
20th September 2015, 06:01 PM
Hi, Is anyone using this lens on the E-PL5. I would be interested to hear how the combination works for general, travel, walk around use.
thanks
Gary.

pdk42
20th September 2015, 06:36 PM
It works fine. Only two downsides are slow AF (cf more recent u43 lenses) and shutter shock (a common issue with the E-PL5). Other than that - it's a very fine combo.

Petanque
20th September 2015, 06:52 PM
Thank you for your reply. I have noticed a reference to 'shutter shock' in a few posts. I have to confess that I am not sure what this is and if it is something I should be concerned about. Is it only the E-PL5 that is effected? is it only with certain lenses that it occurs?

PeterBirder
20th September 2015, 09:06 PM
Thank you for your reply. I have noticed a reference to 'shutter shock' in a few posts. I have to confess that I am not sure what this is and if it is something I should be concerned about. Is it only the E-PL5 that is effected? is it only with certain lenses that it occurs?

If you haven't noticed this effect you probably shouldn't need to be concerned.:)
This blog entry I found gives a useful explanation and illustration of the effect

http://cameraergonomics.blogspot.co.uk/2013/08/how-to-test-for-shutter-shock.html

In the most recent Olympus m4/3rds cameras E-M1 (by firmware update) and E-M5 MkII and E-M10 MkII Olympus have introduced an electronic first curtain function which aleviiates the problem if it occurs.

Regards.*chr

PeterBirder
20th September 2015, 10:07 PM
Paul's reference to slower AF with the Lumix 20mm was my experience (but not with the E-PL5 which I don't have). My lens (and I suspect Paul's) was the original version which had an all metal construction and as one of the earliest m4/3rds designs the aperture mechanism was sluggish in compaarison to more recently designed lenses. The Lumix 20mm lenses now on sale (new) are a Mk II version which has a lighter weight plastic body construction but I'm not sure if the internal design was improved in any way, possibly not.

The two Olympus lenses in the focal length area you are looking at (which I have) are the 17mm f1.8 (quite a bit more expensive) and the 25mm f1.8 (20 more expensive). Neither of these are "pancake" designs but if you go to the Four Thirds Organisation site ( http://www.four-thirds.org/en/special/matching.html ) you can see what any m4/3rds lens actually looks like on any particular body. Both these lenses focus very quickly and I have been very satisfied with both. The 25mm, for me is a very capable "standard lens" and I use it a lot.

Hope this helps you.*chr

Petanque
21st September 2015, 06:29 AM
Thank you for the information, interestingly, I was looking at the Olympus 25mm yesterday. Also, I was not aware there are two versions of the 20mm so thank you.
Regards
Gary

sdb123
21st September 2015, 06:50 AM
In the most recent Olympus m4/3rds cameras E-M1 (by firmware update) and E-M5 MkII and E-M10 MkII Olympus have introduced an electronic first curtain function which aleviiates the problem if it occurs.

Regards.*chr

The original E-M10 also had the firmware fix which counters any potential issues.

Crazy Dave
21st September 2015, 07:32 AM
I have the Panasonic 20mm, first version. Bought on the forum, used once. Thinking of selling. Boxed, great condition, but lacking pouch, can provide work around. If interested, let me know.

David

IainMacD
21st September 2015, 07:44 AM
The negatives of the 20mm have mostly been covered apart from some issues with flare when shooting into the light and some CA, but the positives haven't really been emphasised. The sharpness and quality of results is excellent, the f1.7 maximum aperture is really handy and finally it is tiny; I used it on my E-PL5 as a 'pocketable' kit to take on walks with the dog, it was ideal.

OM USer
21st September 2015, 12:40 PM
Despite the negatives its seems that people were buying it in droves because of its sharpness and size. If the price is right then go for it.

Ulfric M Douglas
21st September 2015, 01:41 PM
...My lens (and I suspect Paul's) was the original version which had an all metal construction ...
... Mk II version which has a lighter weight plastic body construction ...
I have the original version and it looks like a lightweight plastic construction with metal bayonet mount.
I'm pretty sure nobody would call this "all metal construction".

PeterBirder
21st September 2015, 08:17 PM
I have the original version and it looks like a lightweight plastic construction with metal bayonet mount.
I'm pretty sure nobody would call this "all metal construction".

You are correct Ulfric, my recollection was faulty. The MkII on the other hand is described in one review as having "re-designed styling and metal parts" but the same focusing performance.

Regards.*chr