PDA

View Full Version : Pluto, as you never seen it before!

Rawcoll
18th September 2015, 12:30 PM
I don't know how many of you are following the New Horizons probe to Pluto, but I really want to draw your attention to this awe inspiring picture (well, to me at any rate), amongst others. It can be found here (https://www.nasa.gov/image-feature/closer-look-majestic-mountains-and-frozen-plains), and you can even click on it for a larger version (shown below).

It is worth looking around the site. Data will be downloaded over the next year or more, so more pictures will be coming in dribs and drabs.

https://www.nasa.gov/sites/default/files/thumbnails/image/nh-apluto-mountains-plains-9-17-15_0.png

IainMacD
18th September 2015, 12:52 PM
Incredible!

Graham_of_Rainham
18th September 2015, 02:10 PM
It's a fake, the shadows are forming in different directions... ;)

Rawcoll
18th September 2015, 02:35 PM
Yup, it is such a remarkably good image that conspiracy theories are bound to surface *whack :)

Jim Ford
18th September 2015, 03:42 PM
I think I can see Elvis on there!

Jim

drmarkf
18th September 2015, 07:02 PM
Mindblowing: to think we can see the surface of a (dwarf) planet that far away in such detail...

If we can do this, why the heck can't we sort out our husbandry of the Earth and relationships with our fellow men and women?

Ho hum.

Next weekend I'm going to a couple of astronomy lectures at the Cambridge university alumni day, and I anticipate some more wonderful Plutonic images :D

(Or should that be exposure to some Plutonium... ermmm... no).

Rawcoll
18th September 2015, 09:08 PM
If we can do this, why the heck can't we sort out our husbandry of the Earth and relationships with our fellow men and women?

I agree, but of course the movement of bodies through space follow well defined and immutable laws, whereas sadly, the same cannot be said of people, and that is brought home to us nightly with each news programme. Worse still, I see no imminent solution.

mm500
19th September 2015, 07:18 AM
Brilliant, was following it a while ago but have renewed interest thanks to you!

Mal.

maccabeej
21st September 2015, 08:04 AM
Brilliant shot but surely it could have been improved by more foreground interest and would the light have been better an hour earlier. Perhaps drop in some clouds from another shot😉. Oh, sorry this isn't the LFI section.

drmarkf
21st September 2015, 08:13 AM
Brilliant shot but surely it could have been improved by more foreground interest and would the light have been better an hour earlier. Perhaps drop in some clouds from another shot😉. Oh, sorry this isn't the LFI section.

Love it. I'm told the RPS is already planning a repeat visit...

knikki
21st September 2015, 09:56 AM
That is indeed an interesting shot.