PDA

View Full Version : So you think...

Wally
15th September 2015, 02:33 PM
In the last few years I've had bad days and not so good days. Like most I complain but, oh yes, in life there's always a but. This made me sit back and thank my lucky stars and take a whole new look at my problems. If you think you've got problems (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-ouch-34246183)then think yourself lucky you're not in this man's shoes.

Beagletorque
16th September 2015, 10:31 AM
Slightly unfortunate turn of phrase seeing as he has no legs, but I know what you mean.

Wally
16th September 2015, 08:18 PM
My point exactly. What would you do if in the same situation... ?

Zuiko
16th September 2015, 08:37 PM
If, collectively, we see ourselves as a caring, compassionate and fair society, then surely common decency dictates that this man and others like him should be supplied with the best prosthetics available. Some things are so much more important than money and when I hear about situations like this I get really, really cross. :mad:

Jim Ford
16th September 2015, 09:10 PM
"A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." - Mahatma Ghandi

Jim

Wally
17th September 2015, 09:01 AM
The part of the story that really got me going was that the 'special prosthetics are available' but only to specific veterans. I would have thought that in exceptional circumstances, civliians, with serious injuries on a par with veterans, should be similarly treated. Apparently, the NHS system in Scotland will supply the prosthetics if special conditions are met. Yet another anomally in a so called United Kingdom in which we all pay into the system.

If we can show compassion to a young lady who was seiously injured by the Taliban, I can see no reason not to show compassion to one of our own.

As the post above implies, as a member of a so called great nation, I feel I'm being betrayed more and more by the very people we put into office to protect our weakest members of society.

The saying, 'There but for the grace of God,' springs to mind. Not a pleasant thought.

Beagletorque
17th September 2015, 09:44 AM
I suppose as nasty as it sounds the line has to be drawn at the level of affordability for everything. At that point a judgement has to be made in every case. I would not like to be the one who has to choose between cases of need. Can we as a country afford to give everybody everything they need, it would mean each of us has to give up something in addition to what we do now. It is easy to want the sharing answer when you have nothing, harder to accept when you will be giving it up. Maybe Jeremy will find the middle way;

Jim Ford
17th September 2015, 09:52 AM
It is easy to want the sharing answer when you have nothing, harder to accept when you will be giving it up. Maybe Jeremy will find the middle way;

There's no chance that Big Business and the electorate manipulated by Rupert Murdoch will let him!

Jim

Zuiko
17th September 2015, 10:52 AM
I suppose as nasty as it sounds the line has to be drawn at the level of affordability for everything. At that point a judgement has to be made in every case. I would not like to be the one who has to choose between cases of need. Can we as a country afford to give everybody everything they need, it would mean each of us has to give up something in addition to what we do now. It is easy to want the sharing answer when you have nothing, harder to accept when you will be giving it up. Maybe Jeremy will find the middle way;

Affordability is a good point and it is ironic that the House of Commons (in a free vote) have only this week decided not to allow assisted suicide, or euthanasia, for severely ill or disabled people who have no quality of life and no hope of recovery. This will mean that people in this category who wish to end their lives will be continue to be forced to exist, often at great expense to the NHS and social services.