PDA

View Full Version : EM-1 firmware update - November 2015

MargaretR
15th September 2015, 07:42 AM
Press release here (http://www.olympus-global.com/en/news/2015b/nr150915omde.jsp)

Focus stacking, silent mode, advanced focus peaking, MF manual clutch disable, and lots more. *chr

Doesn't say whether it obliterates previous settings though.... :mad:

pdk42
15th September 2015, 08:04 AM
Wow - that's great news!!! Bravo Olympus! Silent mode (full elec shutter??), focus stacking - I can hardly wait!!!!!

Olybirder
15th September 2015, 08:04 AM
Wow, that is a very big update for a camera which is two years old. Well done Olympus. I am sure it will lose the current settings but it sounds as if it will be worth the trouble. :)

Ron

Zuiko
15th September 2015, 08:38 AM
Almost like giving us a new camera. Olympus seem to be learning fast about service and loyalty. Great news. *chr

Zuiko
15th September 2015, 08:40 AM
This sounds particularly interesting ...." and customizable Super Control Panel"

sdb123
15th September 2015, 08:58 AM
Focus stacking is a great addition...interesting to note the press release states it's only compatible with 60mm Macro, 12-40 & 40-150mm PRO lenses though.

I'd like them to update the MF clutch firmware so that focus peaking is engaged when using the clutch - unless that's covered by the Advanced Focus Peaking feature (doubt it though).

Good news for you E-M1 owners. :)

pvasc
15th September 2015, 09:27 AM
My oh my. I count 18 features added. I am speechless, Thank-you Olympus, Thank-you.

Sadly it looks like mine has to go to the Dr...yep rear dial sometimes works, sometimes doesn't. I think that's the common issue with this body, so no worries, I am not shocked or upset.

Bikie John
15th September 2015, 09:28 AM
Thanks Margaret and Beagletorque, it does indeed look interesting. And to think that I have only just upgraded from 3.0 to 3.1 and had to reset everything. Oh well, good job we're used to it.

John

pvasc
15th September 2015, 09:30 AM
Focus stacking is a great addition...interesting to note the press release states it's only compatible with 60mm Macro, 12-40 & 40-150mm PRO lenses though.

I'd like them to update the MF clutch firmware so that focus peaking is engaged when using the clutch - unless that's covered by the Advanced Focus Peaking feature (doubt it though).

Good news for you E-M1 owners. :)

Just checked. I turned off magnify, turned on peaking in the menu, slid the ring on the 12-40mm to MF and I had focus peaking. So it won't do it automatically, you have to go through advanced menu, (gears), A

CJJE
15th September 2015, 09:33 AM
Thankfully I found an Excel spreadsheet here http://www.biofos.com/mft/omd_em1_settings.html
to record all my chosen camera settings! It will make it much easier to restore them after the update:)

Chris

mikeb
15th September 2015, 09:33 AM
The flip side is that I suppose it means an E-M1 replacement/mk2 is a very long way off. This is just a software update. Nothing wrong with the current hardware mind, but technology marches on.

Dave in Wales
15th September 2015, 09:43 AM
Bl**dy Ek....I'm gobsmacked.

sdb123
15th September 2015, 09:50 AM
Just checked. I turned off magnify, turned on peaking in the menu, slid the ring on the 12-40mm to MF and I had focus peaking. So it won't do it automatically, you have to go through advanced menu, (gears), A

I know that's the case on the 12-40 but it doesn't so on the 17mm f/1.8 regardless of whether it's enabled in the menu - was widely reported in reviews and is a bit of a PITA (of course, can be mitigated by mapping buttons, etc.).

OM USer
15th September 2015, 10:40 AM
Almost like giving us a new camera. Olympus seem to be learning fast about service and loyalty. Great news.

Unless you have an E-M5 Mk1 of course. We are just as loyal; where are our updates?

Olybirder
15th September 2015, 11:05 AM
Unless you have an E-M5 Mk1 of course. We are just as loyal; where are our updates?
I suppose the thinking is that they are updating current cameras so that the lower ranges do not have features that the range toppers don't. The E-M5 II is being updated to match the E-M10 II and the E-M1 will gain the same features as the E-M5 II plus one extra to justify its flagship status.

Unfortunately, the E-M5 MkI is no longer a current camera and will no longer be supported in the same way. I suspect the same thing will apply to the E-M1 when the Mk ii version is released.

Ron

Ross the fiddler
15th September 2015, 11:13 AM
Press release here (http://www.olympus-global.com/en/news/2015b/nr150915omde.jsp)

Focus stacking, silent mode, advanced focus peaking, MF manual clutch disable, and lots more. *chr

Doesn't say whether it obliterates previous settings though.... :mad:

It's quite likely to though. :rolleyes: That's when you pencil in your settings on a copy of the (version 2) Menu from your user manual (print off just those PDF pages 146-151) or this spreadsheet http://www.biofos.com/mft/omd_em1_settings.html. It is also a good time to review your settings as well. ;)

We should also get an updated manual (I hope) with these inclusions.

Anyhow, I'm looking forward to these updates. Focus Stacking with the macro lens should be really worthwhile & silent shutter will have its uses too, as well as expanded Anti-Shock.

*chr

Ross the fiddler
15th September 2015, 11:31 AM
This sounds particularly interesting ...." and customizable Super Control Panel"

I think that is referring to using Olympus Capture (tethered) on the PC though.

Ross the fiddler
15th September 2015, 11:35 AM
The flip side is that I suppose it means an E-M1 replacement/mk2 is a very long way off. This is just a software update. Nothing wrong with the current hardware mind, but technology marches on.

Another year, according to Simon (the leaker) for Photokina 2016.

Wee man
15th September 2015, 11:37 AM
pvasc just think it may come back with the upgrade already loaded!

Ross the fiddler
15th September 2015, 11:37 AM

It's called an E-M5 Mk II. :rolleyes:

pvasc
15th September 2015, 11:55 AM
pvasc just think it may come back with the upgrade already loaded!

LOL I had thought about offering to field test it for them when I make the call.

benvendetta
15th September 2015, 11:59 AM
Great news from Olympus. Haven't yet tried focus stacking but will be following the FW update in November. It will be interesting to try it on landscapes to avoid the dreaded defraction from smaller aperture values. I presume that you will be able to set the focus increments in the menu.

Zuiko
15th September 2015, 12:13 PM
I think that is referring to using Olympus Capture (tethered) on the PC though.

Oh, that's a shame.

pvasc
15th September 2015, 01:02 PM
LOL I had thought about offering to field test it for them when I make the call.

Interesting....they didn't say no!

drmarkf
15th September 2015, 01:55 PM
Great news all round, and I shall most certainly be using the focus stacking with the 60mm, and the silent shutter E-M1 a lot for street shooting.

I was going to investigate focus stacking software, but I won't bother now, and I haven't yet got round to updating to 3.1 from 3, so I might as well wait :D

This makes waiting until next autumn for a mkII '1' a great deal easier, and would seem to mandate that it's going to have a new sensor with improved resolution/ISO/CAF and combined sensor/lens IS (well, if it doesn't I shan't be investing!).

pault
15th September 2015, 01:56 PM
HI.
I note the interest in "Focus Stacking" i.e multi-images merged to form an image.
How about the introduction of "Focus Bracketing" taking multi-images at varying focus points and merging to form an image with greater field depth, as in Marco work.
Pault

Ross the fiddler
15th September 2015, 02:26 PM
HI.
I note the interest in "Focus Stacking" i.e multi-images merged to form an image.
How about the introduction of "Focus Bracketing" taking multi-images at varying focus points and merging to form an image with greater field depth, as in Marco work.
Pault

You will get both options & the latter will be ideal for many more focus steps & then processing with suitable software.

benvendetta
15th September 2015, 02:47 PM
You will get both options & the latter will be ideal for many more focus steps & then processing with suitable software.

Best of both worlds then.

pault
15th September 2015, 02:55 PM
Hi.
Bit more information here, which should raise excitement:http://cameras.olympus.com/stack/en/

DavyG
15th September 2015, 03:55 PM
Hi.
Bit more information here, which should raise excitement:http://cameras.olympus.com/stack/en/

Thanks for the link, that is a very interesting read.

I think this is another innovative game changer from Olympus, roll on November.

Dave

ayewing
15th September 2015, 04:44 PM
This is very good news indeed. I am very interested in the focus stacking as I recently bought a 60mm macro from one of our members on this forum. I have been reading up about focus stacking and having the facility built in to the camera will be a great feature.

I will not be sorry if the newer version of the E-M1 will not be available for some time as I am still learning new ways of using this most complex and ingenious camera and now of course some additional features are being added.

stevewestern
15th September 2015, 05:24 PM
Not good news for me, as I've just sold my EM1 and was planning to keep my 12-40 and 40-150 pro's in the hope that the mk2 might do what I need..
Might have to make a concerted effort to sell them now..!

rosco
15th September 2015, 05:58 PM
This is very good news indeed. I am very interested in the focus stacking as I recently bought a 60mm macro from one of our members on this forum. I have been reading up about focus stacking and having the facility built in to the camera will be a great feature.

I will not be sorry if the newer version of the E-M1 will not be available for some time as I am still learning new ways of using this most complex and ingenious camera and now of course some additional features are being added.

Can I have it back please:)

Beagletorque
15th September 2015, 06:01 PM
No mention of improvements in the focusing line of things, but it could be the elephant in the room which is improved but not talked about?

Bikie John
15th September 2015, 06:23 PM
No mention of improvements in the focusing line of things, but it could be the elephant in the room which is improved but not talked about?

Maybe they feel that they have done all that they can with firmware, and to make further improvements will require hardware changes?

John

Beagletorque
15th September 2015, 06:25 PM
True. It's not a big problem but any increase in speed would be a benefit.

ayewing
15th September 2015, 07:31 PM
Can I have it back please:)

Not till I have had a chance of trying the focus stacking!

It is a very nice lens and I was happy to get it. I am going to try it with my ancient ringflash once the necessary step-up filters arrive.

Best wishes,

Paul19
15th September 2015, 10:46 PM
We had a talk on focus stacking at Camera Club last week and I was considering doing the computer work involved -but now simply a firmware update! Olympus just gets better and better!!

IanB
15th September 2015, 11:00 PM
Not till I have had a chance of trying the focus stacking!

:o is there a focus stack mode now? :o
have to admit I haven't taken much notice of updates but keep thinking I should add them and reset the camera now I know it better. Notice the 'know' which is not the same as 'understand' :o. I generally use it like a 1980s camera; just wish it had manual wind on so I don't use so much film ..... umm; memory :rolleyes:

How many are thinking "whats manual wind on ? :D

Ross the fiddler
16th September 2015, 02:45 AM
Hi.

Thanks for the link. Can you tell me how you were led to this link. It seems (at least from our end) that these sites are somewhat hidden from regular access unless someone else highlights it. :confused:

I can't find where you would have found the link. *shrug

Beagletorque
16th September 2015, 06:28 AM
Thanks for the link. Can you tell me how you were led to this link. It seems (at least from our end) that these sites are somewhat hidden from regular access unless someone else highlights it. :confused:

I can't find where you would have found the link. *shrug
Ross, I usually keep an eye on http://www.43rumors.com/

pault
16th September 2015, 07:10 AM
Hi,
Same here and also from dpreview.com
Pault

Ross the fiddler
16th September 2015, 10:34 AM
Hi,
Same here and also from dpreview.com
Pault

Thanks, but I was trying to find where the link is on the Olympus pages. I finally found where they linked it on the Australian pages.

From here http://www.olympus.com.au/ I first clicked on the E-M1 image or link (http://www.olympus.com.au/Products/Interchangeable-Lens-Cameras/Olympus-OM-D/OM-D-E-M1/Overview), then on Features (http://www.olympus.com.au/Products/Interchangeable-Lens-Cameras/Olympus-OM-D/OM-D-E-M1/Features/Compact-lightweight-SLR-system) & then on Versatile Shooting Modes (http://www.olympus.com.au/Products/Interchangeable-Lens-Cameras/Olympus-OM-D/OM-D-E-M1/Features/Versatile-Shooting-Modes). And in Focus Stacking section there is this link
OM-D E-M1 Ver. 4.0 changes insect photography forever -- see amazing photos and read Kazuo Unno's commentary (http://cameras.olympus.com/stack/en-au/) finally taking me to the site you have linked to Utilising Focus Stacking and Focus Bracketing in Insect Photography (http://cameras.olympus.com/stack/en-au/).

Mdb2
16th September 2015, 11:44 AM
Hi all, am I doing something wrong here? Linked camera to iMac checked camera for full battery, checked firmware version 4 on lcd screen clicked screen camera led for firmware 3.1 led screen said just a moment screen now blank and has been for 20 mins. Nothing on the lcd screen still nothing on iMac to indicate loading? How do I know if it's loading??
Kind regards mike
pSSorry people forgot the Olympus uploaded APP now done please ignore
Mike

Beagletorque
16th September 2015, 11:53 AM
New firmware not out till November.

Graham_of_Rainham
16th September 2015, 12:12 PM
For those considering focus bracketing and post processing this (http://extreme-macro.co.uk/focus-stacking/) may be a good place to start if looking for tips and techniques.

MarkG
16th September 2015, 01:15 PM
I really like the idea of the focus stacking. But it looks like it's the only feature for the EM1 which is not going to be on the EM5 Mark ii V2 software update. Booo!

Also i feel sorry for original EM5 mark 1 owners who are being left behind. Apple manage to do IOS updates going back down the models rather than just the latest models. But then again if the EM5 mk1 had more of the latest features, people would presumably keep them for much longer. I wonder what the average age of a digital camera is these days? Three years before you upgrade?

Mdb2
16th September 2015, 03:36 PM
I really like the idea of the focus stacking. But it looks like it's the only feature for the EM1 which is not going to be on the EM5 Mark ii V2 software update. Booo!

Also i feel sorry for original EM5 mark 1 owners who are being left behind. Apple manage to do IOS updates going back down the models rather than just the latest models. But then again if the EM5 mk1 had more of the latest features, people would presumably keep them for much longer. I wonder what the average age of a digital camera is these days? Three years before you upgrade?

Hi MarkG I Have an iPad 1st generation and apple do not update the iOS on mine! Also Apple have turned their back on iPhoto in exchange for their new photo. They are no longer supporting the old iPhoto. It would be nice if Olympus were to update firmware for the EM5.
Kind regards mike

Graham_of_Rainham
16th September 2015, 03:47 PM

Also i feel sorry for original EM5 mark 1 owners who are being left behind. <snip>

I think that it may well have something to do with the TruePic Engine in the EM-5 being VI and the EM-5 MkII & EM-1 having the VII Version.

Also my old iPhone 4 can't run a lot of the updated APPs as they now need the latest iOS to run... :(

Zuiko
16th September 2015, 03:49 PM

Don't feel too sorry for me, Mark, I still consider myself fortunate to own an E-M5 mk1 despite getting left behind. I suppose it is always a difficult task deciding where to draw the line - there must be many useful updates that they could make available to original E-P1 owners! :)

Olybirder
16th September 2015, 03:58 PM
Don't feel too sorry for me, Mark, I still consider myself fortunate to own an E-M5 mk1 despite getting left behind. I suppose it is always a difficult task deciding where to draw the line - there must be many useful updates that they could make available to original E-P1 owners! :)Yes, we have to remember that Olympus is a commercial company and has to make money to exist. If they supported every camera they had ever made with continuing updates there would be little market for their new products and they would soon be out of business - then no support for anybody.

Ron

MarkG
16th September 2015, 05:07 PM
I think iPhone 4 was released 2010, EM5 was 2012. I bought my mark 1 em5 at end of 2012 and I can't remember the last firmware update after bug fixes . Was it to add smaller focus squares at the start of this year? I get that phones are different if you are on a 2 year upgrade cycle, but my em5 was bought before em1 came out and it was disappointing to see it drop so much for body only and then updates stopped too.

Anyway I'm on em5 mkii now through insurance claim so this doesn't really affect me, but I feel for others. Even if it's little additions like a few more 'art effects', something to think you've not been totally neglected for new buyers.

tomphotofx
16th September 2015, 06:49 PM
Dave in Wales posted this hands on Firmware 4 upgrade which showed some interesting examples of the results achieved regarding the focus stacking in the EM-1.

http://cameras.olympus.com/stack/en/

Tom

PS All good things come to those that wait.:cool:

mikeb
16th September 2015, 10:46 PM
Presumably E-M5 buyers were happy with the features of that camera when they bought it though? Any firmware upgrade that adds significant new functionality should be thought of as a bonus. And there are probably hardware reasons why the E-M5 can't do these new things as well.

When you think about what this focus stacking is actually doing it's quite impressive from a technical perspective.

Zuiko
16th September 2015, 11:17 PM
Presumably E-M5 buyers were happy with the features of that camera when they bought it though?.

I was and I still am. There are a few features on the Mk2 that I would like, but to be honest I don't use half the features that I already have. :)

benvendetta
17th September 2015, 05:48 AM
I was and I still am. There are a few features on the Mk2 that I would like, but to be honest I don't use half the features that I already have. :)

It's like this for many of us I am sure.

drmarkf
17th September 2015, 07:34 AM
When I had my E-M5 there were some useful updates - they gradually stopped the things locking up, for one thing!

Mostly I agree that updates haven't generally been very useful for the types of photography I do or would like to, which is why v4 is so welcome, offering focus stacking (I was about to embark on this via PP software) and e-shutter (really useful for street and other work where you want to remain unnoticed).

Fuji also gets a lot of plaudits for improving their firmware and adding/improving features. It does make one feel that the manufacturers care about existing owners and not solely about selling new hardware.

Gwyver
17th September 2015, 04:32 PM
The new F/w 4 features help to keep existing users from looking wistfully at the competition if - as I suspect - it will be a further 9~12 months before an E-M1 mkII sees the light of day.
Remember also that there will have to be a f/w update to incorporate the processing optimisations for the forthcoming 300mm Pro lens.

Graham_of_Rainham
17th September 2015, 05:27 PM
I couldn't wait for the update so did a seven shot stack with focus bracketing using my E-500 :D

Having the camera put it all together is going to be very useful, but I shall have to look into some clever post processing software, as PS CS4 takes a lot of time and effort.

MarkG
17th September 2015, 06:18 PM
It's simple things like in camera panorama stitching that could go on any camera. I had this on a point and shoot ten years ago. Unless it's a copyright issue, can't be that hard to add to existing cameras.

Graham_of_Rainham
17th September 2015, 10:33 PM
It's simple things like in camera panorama stitching that could go on any camera. I had this on a point and shoot ten years ago. Unless it's a copyright issue, can't be that hard to add to existing cameras.

Wouldn't you just know it. My E-500 has an XD Card slot and some of those have inbuilt panorama capability. I'll try that out tomorrow. :D

MarkG
21st September 2015, 10:52 AM
Quick question on the focus bracketing which will be available on EM5 mkII.
It says that this will be done via "photo editing software", will I be able to do this with Olympus Viewer? Or will I need a third party software?

benvendetta
21st September 2015, 12:36 PM
Probably only specific focus stacking software or which has it included. Not aware that Viewer can do this. There are Freebie programmes out there.

MarkG
21st September 2015, 01:35 PM
Probably only specific focus stacking software or which has it included. Not aware that Viewer can do this. There are Freebie programmes out there.
Just been reading the other article about this, some of the programs have trial versions, so will wait for the camera update then perhaps trial an editing program.

wornish
21st September 2015, 02:16 PM
Photoshop CC does photo stacking but it costs 8.57 per month as part of the photography package that includes Lightroom.

tomphotofx
23rd September 2015, 05:42 PM
Wow! that sounds like good value to me, thats cheaper than buying one Costa Coffee per week :cool:

Tom

alfbranch
24th September 2015, 12:32 AM
Photoshop CC does photo stacking but it costs 8.57 per month as part of the photography package that includes Lightroom.

It works pretty well too.

Angus
24th September 2015, 10:26 AM
Good stuff Olympus - personally I especially like the Silent Shutter addition. But I really wish they had added the "AF Targeting Pad" functionality which is on the EM-10 Mk2...

AF Targeting Pad
For intuitive focussing control while looking through the viewfinder, you can change the auto focus target to suit your subject by simply using your finger on the touch screen on the rear of the camera. Touch the screen and move the AF point to where you want it and still follow the action through the viewfinder at the same time.

Ralph Harwood
25th September 2015, 04:36 AM
Good stuff Olympus - personally I especially like the Silent Shutter addition. But I really wish they had added the "AF Targeting Pad" functionality which is on the EM-10 Mk2...

AF Targeting Pad
For intuitive focussing control while looking through the viewfinder, you can change the auto focus target to suit your subject by simply using your finger on the touch screen on the rear of the camera. Touch the screen and move the AF point to where you want it and still follow the action through the viewfinder at the same time.

I love the idea of the AF Targeting pad, but from the number of "nose prints" on my screen whilst taking photos using the EVF most of my pictures would be focussed on bottom left, regardless of where I'd meant to focus!

I am also looking forward to the focus stacking functionality, but I wish they had extended it to all lenses - now I really will have to buy the 60mm Macro. Also in the original press release it say's that focus bracketting will work with "Micro Four Thirds standard AF lenses" - does this mean that the camera designed to work with quality legacy lenses won't be able to use this feature with Four Thirds lenses - I'd really like to use it with my Sigma 150mm Macro. I guess this will be answered in November.

Cheers,

Ralph.

Ross the fiddler
25th September 2015, 06:00 AM
I love the idea of the AF Targeting pad, but from the number of "nose prints" on my screen whilst taking photos using the EVF most of my pictures would be focussed on bottom left, regardless of where I'd meant to focus!

I am also looking forward to the focus stacking functionality, but I wish they had extended it to all lenses - now I really will have to buy the 60mm Macro. Also in the original press release it say's that focus bracketting will work with "Micro Four Thirds standard AF lenses" - does this mean that the camera designed to work with quality legacy lenses won't be able to use this feature with Four Thirds lenses - I'd really like to use it with my Sigma 150mm Macro. I guess this will be answered in November.

Cheers,

Ralph.

Your nose wouldn't select the focus point (if you're using your right eye) because the E-M10 Mk II uses the lower right corner (or at least the right side) only. The focus bracketing has probably been restricted to known fast focussing & step-able CD-AF lenses to be sufficiently effective.

wornish
25th September 2015, 06:41 AM

Cheers,

Ralph.

I hope it will work with any lens that can use auto focus. If a lens is manual focus only then I don't see how it can possibly work.

Walti
25th September 2015, 07:04 AM
:o is there a focus stack mode now? :o
have to admit I haven't taken much notice of updates but keep thinking I should add them and reset the camera now I know it better. Notice the 'know' which is not the same as 'understand' :o. I generally use it like a 1980s camera; just wish it had manual wind on so I don't use so much film ..... umm; memory :rolleyes:

How many are thinking "whats manual wind on ? :D

If you have too much wind should you be doing it manually, or should you visit your doctor? :p

drmarkf
25th September 2015, 08:08 AM
Your nose wouldn't select the focus point (if you're using your right eye) because the E-M10 Mk II uses the lower right corner (or at least the right side) only.

Interesting. I'd have found that useful, but I'm very left-eyed so I'd have had to have given it a careful tryout. I use back button focus with my thumb on Fn1, though, so that might also require some manual gymnastics!

It would be good if it turns up in the mythical M1 II.

Graham_of_Rainham
28th September 2015, 01:38 PM
may be of interest.

https://youtu.be/ENyqTm5veoI

Beagletorque
28th September 2015, 09:39 PM
Silent shutter allows speeds between 1/8 to 1/16000 sec, but supported ISO speeds are ISO LOW to 3200 only.

drmarkf
28th September 2015, 09:48 PM
Only?
Sounds pretty good to me!

I'm not very sensitive to digital noise, but personally I never set an E-M1 above ISO 2000 unless there is absolutely no alternative. (Also my only current use for an e-shutter is for its silence, although I suppose ultra-narrow depth of field in full sunlight without using an ND filter might be useful to me very occasionally.)

Beagletorque
29th September 2015, 09:56 AM
Only was not a complaint, just a technical detail!

pdk42
29th September 2015, 12:27 PM
Only?
Sounds pretty good to me!

I'm not very sensitive to digital noise, but personally I never set an E-M1 above ISO 2000 unless there is absolutely no alternative. (Also my only current use for an e-shutter is for its silence, although I suppose ultra-narrow depth of field in full sunlight without using an ND filter might be useful to me very occasionally.)

I only ever use full-stop (x2) ISO settings. ISO 2000 is pretty close to ISO 1600, so I'd either stick with that or go to ISO 3200.

Ross the fiddler
29th September 2015, 12:36 PM
I have no problem with my Auto ISO limit being set to 6400 & if I need something lower then I'll set it (usually at 200) manually.

drmarkf
29th September 2015, 03:42 PM
P'raps I'm more sensitive to digital noise than I thought ;)

Kiwi Paul
28th October 2015, 03:38 PM
I found this link (http://www.olympus-global.com/en/news/2015b/nr150915omde.jsp) from Olympus showing all the changes for the firmware upgrade on the EM-1, EM-5 Mk2 and EM-10 and the Pro lenses.
Sorry if it's already been posted.

Paul

drmarkf
29th October 2015, 08:35 AM
I found this link (http://www.olympus-global.com/en/news/2015b/nr150915omde.jsp) from Olympus showing all the changes for the firmware upgrade on the EM-1, EM-5 Mk2 and EM-10 and the Pro lenses.
Sorry if it's already been posted.

Paul

Thanks: if that particular one has been posted then I for one missed it.

Among some other useful clarifications it confirms that, while you need the 60macro, 12-40 or 40-150 to use in-camera focus stacking, multishot focus bracketing will work with any 'standard AF' m4/3 lens: it will at least be convenient for those of us who like the Panny 12-35.

It remains to be seen how well 8-shot in camera merges will work in practice, and losing 14% total of the vertical and horizontal image dimensions sounds like quite a lot to me.

Ross the fiddler
29th October 2015, 09:15 AM
Thanks: if that particular one has been posted then I for one missed it.

Among some other useful clarifications it confirms that, while you need the 60macro, 12-40 or 40-150 to use in-camera focus stacking, multishot focus bracketing will work with any 'standard AF' m4/3 lens: it will at least be convenient for those of us who like the Panny 12-35.

It remains to be seen how well 8-shot in camera merges will work in practice, and losing 14% total of the vertical and horizontal image dimensions sounds like quite a lot to me.

I think perhaps the loss of border might have something to do with the change of coverage as it changes its point of focus & if handheld, allowing for some movement between frames. I don't think it would normally be a problem, particularly with macro subjects because it is not uncommon to be cropping the image a little from the original photo anyhow.

paullus
17th November 2015, 06:02 PM
Just found this with a release date of 26th November from Olympus:

http://www.getolympus.com/upgrade#

***Steve***

pdk42
17th November 2015, 06:09 PM
just found this with a release date of 26th november from olympus:

http://www.getolympus.com/upgrade#

***steve***

:) :) :) :) :)

wornish
17th November 2015, 06:09 PM
Great find
Cant wait to upgrade my EM-5 Mk2.

Melaka
17th November 2015, 06:28 PM
What, I wonder, is smooth aperture?

Beagletorque
17th November 2015, 06:33 PM
Does it involve grease?

Ross the fiddler
17th November 2015, 09:55 PM
What, I wonder, is smooth aperture?

May be it could just be an American misinterpretation (they speak a different language to us :p) of this,
"MF Clutch and Snapshot Focus Disable*7
*7 Applicable lens firmware update required for MF Clutch mechanism and Snapshot Focus mechanism.".

But then there is the following from the official announcement from Japan (http://www.olympus-global.com/en/news/2015b/nr150915omde.jsp).
8) Latest firmware for M.Zuiko Pro and Premium lenses
Along with this latest firmware upgrade, latest firmware for the M.Zuiko Pro and Premium lenses will also be released. Aperture drive has been improved for smooth exposure control even when shooting movies in situations with sudden changes in brightness. It also supports for disabling the MF Clutch and Snapshot Focus.

It appears to an improvement for video use then.

Rafletcher
18th November 2015, 02:45 PM
For those Mac users who have upgraded/progressed to OSX El Capitan, be aware that at the moment the Olympus updater will not work with that OS. It does work with Yosemite however. Luckily my iMac is mainly used by my wife so has a dual boot with Windows 10, and the updater does work with that too.

wornish
18th November 2015, 03:01 PM
The latest updater version released 11th Nov does work on El Capitan.

Rafletcher
18th November 2015, 07:00 PM
Hmm, I just tries (again) to download the updater, and it's dated 14/4/14, not 11/11/15. Where did you get the updater from please?

Olybirder
18th November 2015, 07:49 PM
If you open Olympus Viewer 3 and check for updates it should find it for you. Discussed in this thread:

http://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthread.php?t=40053

Ron

Rafletcher
20th November 2015, 11:48 AM
Well I found that, but even after loading the updater in there (and why isn't the latest version on the website?) it didn't work. Different error though <sigh>. I just love software! I'll probably delete it all and start again :-)

Ross the fiddler
20th November 2015, 12:55 PM
Well I found that, but even after loading the updater in there (and why isn't the latest version on the website?) it didn't work. Different error though <sigh>. I just love software! I'll probably delete it all and start again :-)

Are you checking for updates in OV3? Don't open Updater, just get whatever updates are available in OV3 & it should show you that Oly Updater 1.2.1 is available & let the update happen from there. I'm assuming OV3 will run in El Capitan? BTW, a camera can be updated with OV3 because Updater is an extension of it (as well as running standalone).

Rafletcher
20th November 2015, 12:57 PM
Aah ok - no I tried to install the updater from OV3. Thanks for the tip!

paullus
26th November 2015, 06:36 AM
Well Olympus kept their promise; V4.0 is out and it's here:
http://www.getolympus.com/upgrade

Unfortunately I've not got time to carry out the upgrade before work, something to look forward to though for later.

***Steve***

MargaretR
26th November 2015, 08:39 AM
Just had email from Oly confirming v4.0 is out. *chr

Likewise, don't have time to do it before the weekend, but looking forward to it!

Walti
26th November 2015, 08:51 AM
All nice and simple...

EM-1 updated to V4.0
12-40 and 50-150 both updated
Both Panny lenses checked as well (I do like the fact you can do this through the Oly software and body!)

Walti
26th November 2015, 09:07 AM
Just tried the in body stacking - stupidly easy to use! Even I can do it! VERY impressive!

Tractorboy
26th November 2015, 10:41 AM
Is the updating process fairly foolproof?
As a new EM-1 user, I have never had to update my firmware before. I'm quite excited about the focus stacking/bracketing which I have been doing manually up till now.

Something to look forward to when I get home from work.

Walti
26th November 2015, 10:50 AM
Is the updating process fairly foolproof?
As a new EM-1 user, I have never had to update my firmware before. I'm quite excited about the focus stacking/bracketing which I have been doing manually up till now.

Something to look forward to when I get home from work.

Yes it's quite easy. Use Olympus viewer, and check that the software is up to date first... (update tab) update software it may update the viewer and it will definitely update capture.

Then plug the camera in and update the firmware, NB the camera has several options and it's "storage" you need to select on the camera! (not the little logo showing the connection from the camera to the computer, that's for capture!)

Simply use the update tab again select camera, and it will list out the firmware updates available, body and maybe lens too. I changed through all four lenses and updated two as part of this update set.

Tractorboy
26th November 2015, 08:04 PM
Thanks Walti,

It was indeed totally painless, including the update to my Oly 60mm macro lens.