PDA

View Full Version : Primary School Teacher Required - Amazing Photographic Opportunities!

Naughty Nigel
13th September 2015, 08:38 PM
Have you ever fancied getting away from it all and living in a remote highland location. But what about work?

This job would require a special kind of person but what an opportunity! *yes

If only I was thirty years younger!

Primary School Teacher Required for Remote Scottish Community (http://www.offgridquest.com/seeking/remote-scottish-community-hiring-teacher)

OM USer
14th September 2015, 11:32 AM
Sounds very interesting but perhaps just a bit too cut off from the rest of civilisation. The ad really needs to explain a bit more about the lifestyle an applicant would be expected to lead.

Wally
14th September 2015, 12:02 PM
Sounds a wee bit like 'The Good Life' style of living... without the toff neighbours. ;)

I did notice that there is an unused lighthouse which could probably be used by anyone who could put up with harsh surrounding, even worse weather but with a community spirit running along the lines of 'all for one and one for all', One other advantage would be something that is missing in many parts of Britain and many, many other countries... more than likely, a crime free environment.

Unless I've missed it, one thing that does surprise me is that there was no mention of on-line schooling??? Yet another advantage... no sodding spam. ;)

Jim Ford
14th September 2015, 04:31 PM
a community spirit running along the lines of 'all for one and one for all'

Probably better phrased as:

"From each according to his ability, too each according to his need."

Jim

pandora
15th September 2015, 12:22 AM
Perhaps what they need is a robot teacher - the technology exists.

IanB
15th September 2015, 03:58 AM
just a little wee too cold for I; but I bet they get some tourist inquiries

Naughty Nigel
15th September 2015, 07:31 AM
Whoever takes the post would need to be very self sufficient. I doubt that Sainsbury's would provide online shopping deliveries there. :)

Not a good job for a hypochondriac either if the nearest GP is five hours away. ;)

We spent a week on Mull earlier this year. Mull is a wonderful place, and only about five hours drive from here, but it demands an entirely different lifestyle to what we are used to. For most residents 'nipping up the road to the Co-Op' just isn't an option; more like a half day exercise!

But with three postal deliveries a week at least you could at least post your Velvia off to Peak Imaging for processing. *yes

Jim Ford
15th September 2015, 10:47 AM
We spent a week on Mull earlier this year. Mull is a wonderful place, and only about five hours drive from here, but it demands an entirely different lifestyle to what we are used to. For most residents 'nipping up the road to the Co-Op' just isn't an option; more like a half day exercise!

Some years ago I was speaking to a shopkeeper on Mull, and they said that the majority of residents are incomer English, and that the local people can no longer afford to live on the island.

I've camped on the island a few times and agree that it's a wonderful place.

Jim

Naughty Nigel
15th September 2015, 10:59 AM
Some years ago I was speaking to a shopkeeper on Mull, and they said that the majority of residents are incomer English, and that the local people can no longer afford to live on the island.

I've camped on the island a few times and agree that it's a wonderful place.

Jim

Sadly I think that is true, but there are probably other reasons why people have moved away.

I was fascinated to learn that the small island of Ulva had a population of around 650 at the turn of the 20th century, most of whom were involved in harvesting kelp from the island's beaches. I believe the current population is just eleven, but there are two young children living on the island for the first time in nearly 100 years.

The island's war memorial made interesting reading. There were several names listed for the 1914 ~ 1918 war, but none for 1939 ~ 1945; presumably because nobody lived there any more and/or that those who remained were too old to be called up.

Jim Ford
15th September 2015, 03:05 PM
I was fascinated to learn that the small island of Ulva had a population of around 650 at the turn of the 20th century, most of whom were involved in harvesting kelp from the island's beaches. I believe the current population is just eleven, but there are two young children living on the island for the first time in nearly 100 years.

I've also camped on Ulva. It's a lovely island with an interesting Thomas Telford church, which is (was!) still used for special occasions.

There's a public 'phone box outside the tearoom. When I went there it was full of tomato plants someone was growing!

Jim

Naughty Nigel
15th September 2015, 03:27 PM
I've also camped on Ulva. It's a lovely island with an interesting Thomas Telford church, which is (was!) still used for special occasions.

There's a public 'phone box outside the tearoom. When I went there it was full of tomato plants someone was growing!

Jim

I have some photographs of the church that I still need to process. I was particularly fascinated by the elaborate two-level pulpit inside the church which had seen better days, but it seemed more appropriate for an archbishop than the minister of a small church on a tiny island.

I also saw the tomatoes growing in the phone box. I'm not even sure that you can make phone calls any more, but the tomatoes seemed to be doing well enough! :)