PDA

View Full Version : Is Keying a Car Ever Justified?

Naughty Nigel
12th September 2015, 08:26 PM
If you have ever had your car keyed, or some other malicious damage done you would probably have felt pretty angry about it; or maybe not?

This article seeks to justify the actions of those who damage expensive cars, but can such actions ever be justified?

In any case, what is expensive to one may be quite ordinary to someone else. Many of the cars that I have seen keyed are quite ordinary, so what motivates anyone to wilfully damage someone else's property?

We are talking cars here, but it could equally be cameras, or any item that happens to be someone else's pride and joy.

http://m.heraldscotland.com/opinion/13713677.Joys_of_pootling_along_in_the_car/?ref=twtrec

Graham_of_Rainham
12th September 2015, 09:00 PM
Pulp Fiction - Don't **** With Another Man's Vehicle - YouTube

al_kaholik
12th September 2015, 09:14 PM
Has she been sniffing the ink they use to print the papers? What utter nonsense.

Naughty Nigel
12th September 2015, 09:41 PM
Has she been sniffing the ink they use to print the papers? What utter nonsense.

I have no idea. It just infuriates me that she feels it is justified to key an Aston Martin because they cost 91,000.

(She hasn't even got her facts correct. The Vanquish is only available with a V12 engine and costs around 207,000.)

But the amount doesn't matter. If it's OK to key an Aston, then presumably it's OK to key an Astra if you cannot afford one?

And would the world really be a better place if we all drove around in a ubiquitous silver Nissan Micra?

To seek to justify the actions of mindless vandals seems like utter madness to me.

Jim Ford
12th September 2015, 09:51 PM
The humourist David Sedaris (an American), said that the difference between Americans and the British is that in America if your neighbour buys a Rolls-Royce, you want one too. In Britain if your neighbour buys a Rolls-Royce, you hope they'll crash and burn!

So it's down to envy.

Jim

al_kaholik
12th September 2015, 09:52 PM
Maybe we should go around destroying all food, because some people can't afford it.

Besides that its pretty broad-brush. I saw a woman in a Fiat 500 Abarth today in the middle lane of the M3 doing 60. Furious as I was I didn't decide to crash into the car nor run it off the road. Thus all people who drive a Fiat 500 are incapable of utilising motorways correctly. Oh wait, my survey of one doesn't have any statistical weighting because of the sample size, back to the default position of there just being the random driver who isn't au fait with it.

Naughty Nigel
12th September 2015, 10:06 PM
So it's down to envy.

I sure you're right Jim.

But what is it about British society that makes people feel it is OK to vandalise other people's property, whatever its value?

If I see a car parked beside the road I have no idea what the owner's financial circumstances are, and frankly it is none of my business.

Some people are as passionate about cars as we might be about cameras and lenses, and may spend every penny on their cars. And they don't have to be new.

It is easy to pick up a nice second-hand Aston or similar for the same sort of money that would buy a new Astra, so should we begrudge people that pleasure?

Zuiko
12th September 2015, 10:56 PM
Keying a car out of envy is mindless and pointless. I applaud financially successful people who can afford an Aston Martin because of the amount of tax they contribute to the Exchequer.

As for envy, maybe I do feel just a little for that Aston Martin owner, but has he ever climbed the Cneifion Arete by moonlight, bivvied on the summit of Glyder Fawr and awoke to a stunning sunrise above a cloud inversion? :D

http://www.e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/500/John_Perriment_Do_You_See_05_Thumb.jpg

Phill D
13th September 2015, 06:58 AM
Can't be bothered to contribute to this thread except to say that that's a stunning image John.

PaulB
13th September 2015, 07:38 AM
Keying cars is just petty vandalism as far as I am concerned.
As to the rest of the article, I can't say anything nice so will say nothing at all.

Edit: Yes a cracking image John.

Otto
13th September 2015, 08:50 AM
Perhaps she's actually Katie Hopkins ...

MargaretR
13th September 2015, 01:12 PM
Who? ..........

peak4
13th September 2015, 08:04 PM
I can't help wondering how that article got past the editor.
Perhaps they subsequently regretted the oversight, as comments are now blocked on it.

Naughty Nigel
13th September 2015, 08:12 PM
Well, it turns out that Catriona Stewart (the so called "Journalist" concerned) is a hypocrite as apparently she doesn't drive a Fiat 500 but a 'large Audi'!

Why does anyone drive a large Audi or any other expensive German car for that matter? To impress others with her successes perhaps? It certainly isn't to be meek and mild.

And why would the miscreant have felt driven to key a stranger's car? The despair of joblessness perhaps?

At least Aston Martin drivers are keeping British workers in jobs, which is more than can be said for Ms Stewart.

Ms Stewart complains about the road manners of Aston Martin drivers, but what about Audi drivers, who in my experience tend to be some of the most odious characters on the road.

Maybe she is trying to make a name for herself, but that seems to have failed too.

Iansky
14th September 2015, 06:51 AM
I bet her days off really fly by - probably in a haze of pharmacy induced joy!

I had my last car keyed by some mindless person who thought it fun to key a number of cars parked on the road, it was a Peugeot 306 in nice condition but certainly not pretentios or flash.

I see people who deliberately damage other peoples cars as jealous cowards who are too scared to confront the individual so take it out on their property that has no right of defence - I hope in this case the man does get heavily fined and as he has a child a suspended sentence.

Some people save all their lives for their dream car so should be able to enjoy it free of mindless vandalism.

Zuiko
14th September 2015, 07:53 AM
Well, it turns out that Catriona Stewart (the so called "Journalist" concerned) is a hypocrite as apparently she doesn't drive a Fiat 500 but a 'large Audi'!

Why does anyone drive a large Audi or any other expensive German car for that matter? To impress others with her successes perhaps? It certainly isn't to be meek and mild.

And why would the miscreant have felt driven to key a stranger's car? The despair of joblessness perhaps?

At least Aston Martin drivers are keeping British workers in jobs, which is more than can be said for Ms Stewart.

Ms Stewart complains about the road manners of Aston Martin drivers, but what about Audi drivers, who in my experience tend to be some of the most odious characters on the road.

Maybe she is trying to make a name for herself, but that seems to have failed too.

I drive a large VW, which is a sort of poor man's Audi, but in mitigation it is 9 years old. Come to think of it, my ex daughter-in-law used to own an Audi but she wasn't an odious driver, just odious full stop! :D

BTW The only reason we have a Passat estate is to transport Mrs Zuiko's face painting equipment to events. We used to need a big car for camping holidays too, but sadly I'm no longer able to do that. Given the choice I'd rather have the Fiat Panda I owned when we were a two car family; I bought it because it was cheap and economical but it turned out to be the most enjoyable car I've ever driven. :) The only downside was the joshing I got at work, such as "Shouldn't it be black and white rather than blue?" or, "How many miles does it do to the bamboo shoot?" :D

Jim Ford
14th September 2015, 10:02 AM
I drive a Skoda Octavia, which is an even poorer man's Audi (but by far and away the best car I've ever owned)!

Jim

Naughty Nigel
14th September 2015, 10:20 AM
I drive a large VW, which is a sort of poor man's Audi, but in mitigation it is 9 years old. Come to think of it, my ex daughter-in-law used to own an Audi but she wasn't an odious driver, just odious full stop! :D

BTW The only reason we have a Passat estate is to transport Mrs Zuiko's face painting equipment to events. We used to need a big car for camping holidays too, but sadly I'm no longer able to do that. Given the choice I'd rather have the Fiat Panda I owned when we were a two car family; I bought it because it was cheap and economical but it turned out to be the most enjoyable car I've ever driven. :) The only downside was the joshing I got at work, such as "Shouldn't it be black and white rather than blue?" or, "How many miles does it do to the bamboo shoot?" :D

Wasn't there a Panda 4 x 4 or similar that would go almost anywhere?

There is something rather liberating about a small car though. You don't have to worry where you go or where you park it, and nobody has any preconceived ideas about the driver. Unless it's a pimped up Corsa of course! :D

(Or as Clarkson put it, "it looks like it's been painted with super glue and driven through Halfords!") :D

Zuiko
14th September 2015, 01:08 PM
Wasn't there a Panda 4 x 4 or similar that would go almost anywhere?

There is something rather liberating about a small car though. You don't have to worry where you go or where you park it, and nobody has any preconceived ideas about the driver. Unless it's a pimped up Corsa of course! :D

(Or as Clarkson put it, "it looks like it's been painted with super glue and driven through Halfords!") :D

There was indeed a Panda 4x4, but mine was just a bog standard bottom of the range model. It did the job, though.

Love the Clarkson quote. :D

Petrochemist
14th September 2015, 11:19 PM
There's only 1 time when its justifiable to key a car. That's when you need to spray it & it needs a light sanding so the paint will grip!

Naughty Nigel
15th September 2015, 07:16 AM
There's only 1 time when its justifiable to key a car. That's when you need to spray it & it needs a light sanding so the paint will grip!

Well yes; I would have to agree with that!

But it needs to be thoroughly degreased before sanding. *yes