PDA

View Full Version : photography section (??)

IanB
9th September 2015, 07:24 AM
Is there a need for a place here for actual [oly] photography chit chat without being camera [model] specific?
I know we all just want to talk about our cameras however there are time we might want to ask/talk about photography; and editing for that matter

Just a thought after posting a focusing question *yes

angelpaaul
9th September 2015, 07:55 AM
I quite agree. A section where the photo is more important than the camera used.

Bikie John
9th September 2015, 09:55 AM
I agree that sometimes it is more appropriate to talk about the pictures rather than kit, and photography in general, but I think we also have places in he forum where we do. There is Foto Fair to discuss your own pictures, or Looking for improvement if you are after more critical feedback. Of course some people will set the scene by sating "I took this with a xxxxxx...." which will predispose responses towards talking about the kit, and some responders will respond that way anyway because that is what they are interested in.

There is also The lounge for general discussions, and the Tutorials and classics section where such stuff might fit. If I've been to an exhibition, seen a book, or found something on the web that I think might be of wider interest I'll usually post in the lounge. Quite often posts like that get a good response.

We often see suggestions to add more sections to the forum. The discussion goes round in circles for a bit and sometimes we get something new but usually we more or less agree that it is simpler to leave it as it is. The disadvantages of having more sections are that is gets harder to find stuff, and might provoke more discussions about whether a thread should belong in this section or that one (from time to time we have minor spats about the difference between Foto Fair and Looking for improvement, for example).

I don't really notice which section things are in - as a regular reader I just go to New posts to see what is happening.

John

Graham_of_Rainham
9th September 2015, 10:01 AM
Is there a need for a place here for actual [oly] photography chit chat without being camera [model] specific?
I know we all just want to talk about our cameras however there are time we might want to ask/talk about photography; and editing for that matter

Just a thought after posting a focusing question *yes

I quite agree. A section where the photo is more important than the camera used.

The "Foto Fair" and "Looking for improvement" sections have often been used for just the sort of thing I believe you want.

There have been several non camera specific posts and some that are produced by other than Olympus kit.

Please post a trial picture asking for the type of comment you are seeking.

*chr

Wee man
9th September 2015, 11:02 AM
I am another new post checker, if someone thinks a post is in the wrong place so what, those that want to get involved will. We still have areas not used I tried to get more use made for Photo of the day a while back but there was no real support even though photos are what it is all about.?

IanB
9th September 2015, 11:18 PM
I have sort of shot myself in the foot with my last paragraph :o

Thanks for your thoughts.
I wasn't really thinking about 'a photo' as photos seem to be well and sensibly catered for

Please post a trial picture asking for the type of comment you are seeking.
*chr

best way to explain "photography chat" for the want of a better name it's more about the Fstops of photography; it's a section ask that embarrassing question. It's a section where the more experienced can pass on their knowledge to the newbies and the newbies to post their photography question.
My question about focus peaking is a good excample IMO.

I just posted this on my home forum

[I]Good; this saves me finishing the thing I started ages ago

we often talk about a photo being "too busy" or xyz is distracting in the photo.

This little write up [and sale pitch ;)] explains it rather well

http://visualwilderness.com/quick-tips/seven-ways-to-create-simpler-photos
http://visualwilderness.com/quick-tips/minimalism-with-a-wide-angle-lens

In a nutshell: look before you click: forget the main subject and look at the other stuff around the subject: look around the edge of the frame: visualize the subject framed on the wall: concentrate on what it was that made you think "now that's a photo": when possible, slow down and take your time: let the camera do as much as possible so we concentrate on composition.

All the above can not be done by the camera; we still need to do it. The only composition PP fix we can do is cropping so we need to get it right. Doesn't make much sense to be cropped away all those pixels we paid so much for ;).

I have also thought the "camera conference" needs an open section with all the camera specific sections

not meaning to rock the boat; I'm just typing out my thoughts I had when posting my peaking question

After posting this thread last night I started to think "Tutorials, Informative & Classic threads" could cover it; however for some reason I totally over looked it. So may be just a new name or section explanation if more agree :)

Ross the fiddler
10th September 2015, 12:56 AM
I have also thought the "camera conference" needs an open section with all the camera specific sections

Camera Conference can have a thread that isn't locked into one camera model as I have posted about a particular model (http://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthread.php?t=39265) without a grouping for it (yet) & others have done similar for other camera discussions etc.

*chr

IanB
10th September 2015, 01:14 AM
^^ cheers mate; so I will be learning something new today after all :o

Ross the fiddler
10th September 2015, 02:43 AM
^^ cheers mate; so I will be learning something new today after all :o

It's when we don't learn something new it's a worry. :rolleyes: *yes

*chr

Naughty Nigel
10th September 2015, 03:58 PM
It's when we don't learn something new it's a worry. :rolleyes: *yes