PDA

View Full Version : FL-50 duration and FP mode

knf
6th September 2015, 08:30 PM
Does anyone know the flash duration of the FL-50R when its not set to super fp mode? Does anyone know how to put the flash in the super fp mode? it might be because I'm using the flash with pocket wizards but I cannot figure out how to get it in the super fp mode that I read about in the manual.

Graham_of_Rainham
6th September 2015, 10:04 PM
Press the MODE button repeatedly to change the flash control mode.

Certain modes may be unavailable depending on the shooting mode set
on the camera and the functions of the camera in use.

It is not possible to select an unavailable mode.

When used off camera the flash can be set in Slave Mode (Auto & Manual)

The duration is not specified, but like many guns is shorter on low power settings than on full power. Typically this can be as short as 1/50,000s

knf
7th September 2015, 12:26 AM
thanks for the reply. i'm pretty much only interested in using the flash on full power. it was hard to find but i found one website that said the fl-50r's duration is 1/180. i guess they were talking about on full power. and im guessing that i can't use the fp mode with pocket wizards as it seems unavailable/not there.

Bikie John
7th September 2015, 08:48 AM
I think Super FP mode requires fairly direct communication between the flash and the camera. The sequence of operations is start flash (actually start a strobing sequence of flashes) - open shutter - close shutter - stop flash. A fully wired connection will be able to handle it, and I think Oly's own remote flash protocols will. But a third-party remote won't - all it will do is trigger the flash when the camera tells it to.

As far as I know there are no radio remotes that offer that degree of control with Oly/four-thirds flash. The Pocket Wizards may talk nicely to Canons or Nikons but I don't think they understand anybody else.

Ciao ... John

Graham_of_Rainham
7th September 2015, 11:09 AM
I've used the FL-50Rs extensivly in the RC mode and they work very well. While direct line of sight from camera to flash is desirable, I've had them work with the control flash bouncing off surfaces and at distances out to 25m in daylight.

There are "Catcus" triggers that are said to provide TTL pass through of control signals.

http://lovegroveshop.com/product/cactus-v6-flash-transceiver/

While I have never measured the duration of the flash from the FL-50R, I would expect it to be around 1/1000 to 1/2000 at the t=0.5 point on the flash output at full power.

Jim Ford
7th September 2015, 12:17 PM
Not quite in reply to the OP, but 'English Bob' on various photography forums wrote a useful guide to using the FL-36 and FL-50 some years ago. I did a search, but some of the links are dead, including the PDF ones, but I did find this one:

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/13499176

and also this one:

http://forum.fourthirdsphoto.com/threads/19507-Suggested-FL-36-50-Flash-Setups

Maybe this will be of interest.

Jim

Graham_of_Rainham
7th September 2015, 12:55 PM
I quite like this (http://www.lencarta.com/studio-lighting-blog/01/flash-duration-whats-it-all-about/#.Ve2HwZerp4Q)from Lencarta, who know a little bit about flash :cool:

knf
7th September 2015, 07:36 PM
one site listed the flash duration at 1/180, another site listed it at 1/500. does anyone know the actual flash duration of the FL-50R when it's not in super fp mode

Beagletorque
7th September 2015, 07:51 PM
Flash duration has nothing to do with flash sync speed. Flash duration is the time it takes for the spark to jump across the electrodes and is typically very short 1/1000s or less. Flash sync speed is the ability of the camera to open the shutter and close it again and still have time to trigger the flash in the open phase. The reason super sync is possible is because the flash duration is very short, even at full power.

Beagletorque
7th September 2015, 08:02 PM
Page 68 of the Fl50 manual states flash emission period of 1/20000 to 1/500 when not in FP mode. Assume 1/500 @ full power.

knf
7th September 2015, 08:53 PM
thank you!