PDA

View Full Version : Darwin Award Winner

MargaretR
3rd September 2015, 08:31 AM
Selfies taken to a whole new level of danger (http://petapixel.com/2015/09/02/teen-killed-after-posing-for-a-selfie-with-a-gun/).

I'm sure it's desperately sad for his family, but really .... you do have to wonder how someone could be that idiotic in the first place. Classic Darwin Award winning stuff. (removing oneself from the gene pool by sheer stupidity)

Zuiko
3rd September 2015, 09:14 AM
Yes, I saw that. Desperately sad as well as unbelievably stupid and it raises the question about America's absurd gun laws once again. Still, who am I to say what America should do - don't they usually see it as their job to dictate to everyone else? :rolleyes:

Jim Ford
3rd September 2015, 10:30 AM
You'd think that in a nation so familiar with firearms, all citizens would be thoroughly versed in the safety protocols for handling them.

* A firearm is always loaded.
* You never point a firearm at anyone (including yourself in this case!), unless you intend to kill or otherwise harm them.

If the above are observed, nobody would get accidentally shot (except in freak cases).

(I used to own firearms, including pistols in the 60's and 70's.)

Jim

pvasc
3rd September 2015, 02:00 PM
Yes, I saw that. Desperately sad as well as unbelievably stupid and it raises the question about America's absurd gun laws once again. Still, who am I to say what America should do - don't they usually see it as their job to dictate to everyone else? :rolleyes:

Absurd gun laws? We don't have taxes and laws imposed on us, yet why do you think that is???? Hmmmm? Something about being able to protect ourselves from a tyrannical govt I think. But idiots do get guns, just the thinning of the herd. There are no laws saying if the guy looks like an idiot don't sell him a gun. But I know a few store owners that won't sell to just anyone.

By the way I hear big antigunnner Obama has made it possible for felons to but guns, and vote, that was previously outlawed.

pvasc
3rd September 2015, 02:08 PM
You'd think that in a nation so familiar with firearms, all citizens would be thoroughly versed in the safety protocols for handling them.

* A firearm is always loaded.
* You never point a firearm at anyone (including yourself in this case!), unless you intend to kill or otherwise harm them.

If the above are observed, nobody would get accidentally shot (except in freak cases).

(I used to own firearms, including pistols in the 60's and 70's.)

Jim

First thing you do when you pick up a firearm is check the safety and clear the chamber pointing it away from people....up and down range. It's just thinning of the herd.

Yes that is what should be taught. But anyone can get a gun, no schooling required. Odd that. Must learn and pass a test to drive, fly,boat, balloon, but to posses the next most dangerous weapon outside a car no schooling required. That I would change. Quite simple get a gun, go to school to learn all the rights and responsibilities, (rules of the road as it were), pass a test 95% minimum grade, then if you mess up, throw the book at them period! And even that would not change things.

Kiwi Paul
3rd September 2015, 02:37 PM
Puts a new meaning to "I'm going to take some shots of myself" :eek::p

Paul

Zuiko
3rd September 2015, 03:02 PM
Well........ I've read the above several times now and am still none the wiser :confused:

I'm glad it's not just me! :D

Kiwi Paul
3rd September 2015, 03:03 PM
I'm glad it's not just me! :D

and me! :rolleyes:

KeithL
3rd September 2015, 05:37 PM
I remember one of my uncles saying that when he was in the LDV he and others were taught to use a Sten gun. They were told, if it won't stop, keep it on target till it empties the magazine.

Of course, one guy had his Sten keep going, and turned round with it still firing saying "It won't stop, Sir." as his officer (and everyone else) dived for cover.......

There's always one!:)

And yes, I used to be a pistol shooter, too, about 30 years back. I remember being told ALWAYS pull the slide back two or three times, even if you KNOW that it's empty - there's always a chance of one left up the spout! And always do that AFTER you've taken the mag out.

skids
3rd September 2015, 07:23 PM
If the detail in the news report proves to be correct ("Smith reportedly has two young children") he isn't up for a Darwin Award (already contributed to the gene pool).

Sad for all involved I agree but really..........

PeterBirder
3rd September 2015, 08:37 PM
Well........ I've read the above several times now and am still none the wiser :confused:

Me too, totally perplexed as to what this means. Who are the "we" and "tyranical govt" being referred to? Can we have an explanation please?

Naughty Nigel
3rd September 2015, 08:39 PM

Me too. I just hope he doesn't have any guns. :(

Wee man
3rd September 2015, 08:51 PM
Confused Weeman also!

Zuiko
3rd September 2015, 09:08 PM
Maybe it's a new language - or an attempt to promote Esperanto! :D