PDA

View Full Version : Number Withheld

Harold Gough
2nd September 2015, 02:18 PM
Our landline number is Registered with the Telephone Preference Service to not receive Cold Calls. We still get them from e.g. Indian call centres.

Usually, their number is withheld. Is there a device which can recognise that a number has been withheld and block the call?

Harold

Graham_of_Rainham
2nd September 2015, 03:00 PM
I get a few "Number Withheld" calls that are from people I know. If they are in my phones "list" their name is displayed and it gets answered.

Most "Cold Calls" have a number that is displayed so people answer it...

As soon as I determine I don't want to talk to them I say good bye. If it's an auto voice I hang up.

As soon as there's a way to block/stop them they change methods. A simple "No Thanks - Good Bye" is really really cheap.

*chr

Harold Gough
2nd September 2015, 03:26 PM
I get a few "Number Withheld" calls that are from people I know. If they are in my phones "list" their name is displayed and it gets answered.

Most "Cold Calls" have a number that is displayed so people answer it...

As soon as I determine I don't want to talk to them I say good bye. If it's an auto voice I hang up.

As soon as there's a way to block/stop them they change methods. A simple "No Thanks - Good Bye" is really really cheap.

*chr

It's the disruptive element I object to. I didn't answer the last one as I had a heavy, hot roasting dish I was handling at the time.

Harold

PeterBirder
2nd September 2015, 03:44 PM

*chr

If the number is withheld how does your phone know who it's from?

We have a BT call blocking phone and it has reduced the annoyance but is not a complete solution.

Unfortunately many organisations these days (like my GP and the local hospital) whom you would want to accept calls from use "withheld numbers" so simply blocking all such calls can be a problem.

Calls from overseas cold callers we block by setting the phone to block all overseas calls. This is ok if, like me you no longer have overseas relatives or expect overseas calls but otherwise it would be a problem.
For persistent cold callers that do give a number after the first call I can save the number in a "block calls" list which is very effective.

Regards.*chr

Harold Gough
2nd September 2015, 03:56 PM
Peter,

That blocking of all overseas calls sounds good. How do you go about it?

Harold

PeterBirder
2nd September 2015, 04:33 PM
Peter,

That blocking of all overseas calls sounds good. How do you go about it?

Harold

It's a feature/ one of the options of the phone which is a BT6500 Nuisance Call Blocker which is similar to the one in Johnheatingman's post. The phone gives you the options to block calls which are any or all of : International, Witheld Number, No Caller ID or Payphone. To use these facilities you need to have the "Caller Display" facility included in your BT phone contract.

Regards.*chr

ps. The BT8500 seems to have some additional features to mine. http://www.shop.bt.com/products/bt8500-advanced-call-blocker-twin-9M2R.html

Graham_of_Rainham
2nd September 2015, 04:42 PM
If the number is withheld how does your phone know who it's from?

My guess is that if there is a match with the number in the phones list, it displays the name associated with it.

Zuiko
2nd September 2015, 05:25 PM
Occasionally, if I have the time, I use them as a source of entertainment.

Last week I had one of those calls from "Microsoft" (that's a laugh - as if Microsoft would even care) about the viruses detected on my computer.....

"Thanks for calling," I said, "I do have problems with a virus, what do I need to do?"

"Just log on to your computer," replied Jill, with her dusky Asian accent.

Minutes passed and eventually she asked what was happening.

"It's displaying a load of random words and numbers and seem to be stuck," I said.

"Okay, just restart your computer," she advised me, followed after a while by "What is happening now?"

I explained that I had a blank blue screen, for which she instructed another restart.

When she next enquired about my progress I said, "Ah, now I've got that virus, it's a message purporting to be from the Metropolitan Police informing me that my computer has been used for illegal purposes and that it has been locked until I pay a fine of 100."

"Just cancel out of that," she said.

"I can't," I replied, "my computer is locked and won't respond until I pay 100 with my credit card. I believe it's called ransomware, what should I do?"

"You could just pay the fine," she suggested.

"But I don't want to do that," I said, "it's obviously a scam and I was hoping you'd help me fix it, after all you are a Microsoft expert."

"Leave it with me and I'll call you back in an hour," she said before hanging up. Funny, I'm still waiting for her call........ :rolleyes:

Steambuff
2nd September 2015, 05:42 PM
We use a unit from Truecall, blocks unavailable, withheld and foreign calls if you want, can also block any numbers you program it to. Plus lots more. We are very pleased with it.

Take a look on their website for different options available. www.truecall.co.uk i think.

No connection with company, just a very happy customer.

Dave

DerekW
2nd September 2015, 05:59 PM
There are answering devices that ask the caller to enter their number onto the keypad, scam callers are less likely to do than real callers, but I do not know the name of the device.

sapper
2nd September 2015, 06:54 PM
I don't answer 'number withheld' calls. If it is important, they will leave a message.

rosco
2nd September 2015, 07:03 PM
I don't answer 'number withheld' calls. If it is important, they will leave a message.

Thats my way of thinking as well *chr

Steambuff
2nd September 2015, 07:30 PM
There are answering devices that ask the caller to enter their number onto the keypad, scam callers are less likely to do than real callers, but I do not know the name of the device.

Truecall can ask the caller his/her name then rings the phone and tellls you who is calling, you can accept or reject the call.

There is also an option where the caller has to enter a pass code to get put through.

Our Truecall unit acts as our answering machine as well, all international, withheld, unavalable and zapped calls get sent to the answering machine, without ringing the phone.

Dave

Otto
2nd September 2015, 07:51 PM
My BT8500 phone has Truecall built in. So far it's been 100% reliable and is frankly a godsend as I was getting dozens of nuisance calls. It was fun looking at the blocked calls list and seeing how many pests had been rejected but interestingly, that list is getting shorter. I suspect after several blocked attempts these pests may delete my number from their database as they know they're wasting their time and mondy trying to call me.

The "announced call" feature whereby unknown numbers are asked to say their name and press # is genius (the NHS do indeed use withheld numbers - why?) as genuine callers get through quite easily.

Kiwi Paul
3rd September 2015, 12:08 PM
I bought a "Call Saint" from Amazon for 30, works really well and is programmable and works on any phone line.

Paul

Naughty Nigel
3rd September 2015, 01:00 PM
Unfortunately many organisations these days (like my GP and the local hospital) whom you would want to accept calls from use "withheld numbers" so simply blocking all such calls can be a problem.

I have noticed that. I suspect it is because they use VOIP, or route their calls through large PBX systems which are not programmed to send Caller ID information.

I would have thought that a large organisation like the NHS ought to be able to send a caller identity packet that spells out their name in plain English (i.e. NHS Durham) so that the person answering the call has some idea of who is on the other end of the line.

DerekW
3rd September 2015, 04:06 PM
I think that calls from the NHS have the number Undisclosed so as to avoid you calling the person back without being filtered by the main switchboard.

OM USer
3rd September 2015, 05:05 PM
The QVC TV shopping channel (www.qvcuk.com) sell one - the "CPR-V.202-Nuisance-Phone-Call-Blocker" (currently 49.98 +3.95 P&P).

"This nuisance phone call blocker features a 1000 number capacity with 200 known nuisance callers already pre-programmed to be blocked. Block withheld numbers, international calls, certain area codes or specific numbers at the touch of a button with this handy device."

The good thing about QVC is that you get 30 days to try the product and then send it back if you don't like it (unless it is faulty you don't get the postage back but you can return the item within the 30 days for no reason at all).

KeithL
3rd September 2015, 05:52 PM
One of my uncles loved winding up these cold callers. One tried to sell him life insurance. He let the guy go on and on, until after about half an hour, he was asked if he would like to go ahead. "I wouldn't mind, but I don't think you'd take me on." "Oh - why is that?" The answer "Well, I'm 93." Phone slammed down.

The other sort was double glazing salesmen. One rang and asked if he would like a conservatory. He let the guy talk him through it all, until he was asked if someone could come around to measure up and do the paperwork. "Well, yes....but he might have a little difficulty." "Why?" "Well, I live in a first floor flat."

If you have the time and a wicked sense of humour, you can have some fun!*chr

Naughty Nigel
3rd September 2015, 08:26 PM
If you have the time and a wicked sense of humour, you can have some fun!*chr

Agreed. But if you're up a ladder painting it is a real PITA to climb down only to find it is an automated call and you are too late! :mad:

byegad
4th September 2015, 07:18 AM
My BT cordless will block unknown, withheld and international numbers plus ten known numbers of your choice. While the odd unwanted call does get through most don't. Well worth the 35 we paid for it!

mstphoto
4th September 2015, 01:22 PM
"INTERNATIONAL" comes up on our Panasonic phone.
I think "International" is some foreign language which translates to "IGNORE" which we duly do :D

Mike

Naughty Nigel
4th September 2015, 01:50 PM
"INTERNATIONAL" comes up on our Panasonic phone.
I think "International" is some foreign language which translates to "IGNORE" which we duly do :D

Mike

But it could be a long-lost, distant relative who was married to an African Prince, and who needs you help to transfer $35,000,000,000,000 out of the country! :D

byegad
4th September 2015, 01:56 PM

Regards.*chr

Those people get my mobile number which will also block unwanted known numbers and not my landline number. As the mobile handset will block a huge number of numbers this means if someone gets hold of it who I don't wish to speak to I simply add them to that blocked number list.

Naughty Nigel
7th September 2015, 09:41 AM
I received an automated call at twenty-past midnight on Friday night/Saturday morning. :(

Apparently there is a 'new government initiative' to fit solar roof panels ....... that has been going for several years to my knowledge. :mad:

However, what really irritates me is that I travel a lot, and I divert my office line to my mobile; which means that I have to pay to listen to this dross, and there seems to be no way of identifying or blacking callers.

(Most of my business is from abroad so blocking overseas calls is not an option.)

In my view it is about time that the right to anonymity when making phone calls is removed. Why would anyone want to remain anonymous when making a phone call anyway, unless their call was for illegal or mischievous purposes? :confused:

Otto
7th September 2015, 09:58 AM
Some people are quite reasonably concerned that if they do not withhold their number, then it may find its way onto marketing databases. I have had several customers who have expressed just such a concern. These days of computer-generated random calls are making such concerns redundant I think.

Lately my phone has reported several blocked calls using a number starting with my local code in an effort to appear friendly - except that the number they use starts with a 7 and as far as I'm aware all numbers with my local code start with a 6 :).

Naughty Nigel
7th September 2015, 10:29 AM
Some people are quite reasonably concerned that if they do not withhold their number, then it may find its way onto marketing databases. I have had several customers who have expressed just such a concern. These days of computer-generated random calls are making such concerns redundant I think.

That is my view too. Callers have a say in who they call and when, but I have no say in who calls me.

There may have been a time when withholding one's number was reasonable, but there are so many ways of contacting people nowadays that the need to withhold phone numbers has been made redundant. With telephone based fraud now endemic surely the interests of the recipient should take precedence over the caller?

(But please se the caveat below.)

Lately my phone has reported several blocked calls using a number starting with my local code in an effort to appear friendly - except that the number they use starts with a 7 and as far as I'm aware all numbers with my local code start with a 6 :).

The caller ID system is by no means infallible. I am personally aware of several instances where criminal gangs have used false Caller ID numbers when claiming that they are calling from a bank.

(The caller asks who your contact is at the bank, and then arranges a call from that number, explaining that "John Smith" is busy, and that they are calling on his behalf.)

This method is widely used by criminals to persuade bank customers to part with confidential information such as the codes from PinSentry machines and similar, allowing access to bank accounts.