PDA

View Full Version : Corel Hell is back!

KeithL
1st September 2015, 01:50 PM
I thought that I had found the cause of PSP X8 taking 5 minutes to start up - a setting in Comodo Dragon browser that prevents your computer being identified by a remote website. Turned it off, PSP turned on in a few seconds. However! The damn thing took five minutes to turn off still.

Now that I've turned the computer off last night and back on this morning - guess what? X8 is back to a 5 minute start-up AND turn off! And their Level two support? Silence.

Well, my Macbook came this morning. Quite a culture shock after 30+ years of using PCs....but once I'm properly used to it, I can't see me sticking with Windows. I really have had enough of Windows and Windows apps doing bizarre things. Years ago, when I was on NT4, you could delve into it, and find out what was going on; now there's far too much hidden from the user/administrator.

EDIT: Corel have now contacted me and the guy says effectively that they won't support X8 unless I run it on a machine with Core i3, i5, or i7 processor. Nice of them.

Jim Ford
1st September 2015, 06:13 PM
Years ago, when I was on NT4, you could delve into it, and find out what was going on

I remember a spoof NT4 message that used to go around the 'net:

'Windows has detected that you have moved your mouse. Please restart for new settings to take effect'!

Jim

gphemy
2nd September 2015, 10:54 AM
Corel have now contacted me and the guy says effectively that they won't support X8 unless I run it on a machine with Core i3, i5, or i7 processor. Nice of them.

Hmm, the system requirements they specify for PSP X8 :-http://www.paintshoppro.com/en/products/paintshop-pro/#system-requirements
"Intel or AMD 1.5 GHz or faster processor with SSE2 supported (multi-core processor recommended)"

Take a look at the Intel support site http://www.intel.com/support/processors/sb/CS-030123.htm to see how far back their processors have provided SSE2 support - Pentium4, even Celeron, back almost to the turn of the millennium! If Corel are refusing to support anything less than i3, they need to review their system requirements.

Piers

KeithL
3rd September 2015, 05:22 PM
Hmm, the system requirements they specify for PSP X8 :-http://www.paintshoppro.com/en/products/paintshop-pro/#system-requirements
"Intel or AMD 1.5 GHz or faster processor with SSE2 supported (multi-core processor recommended)"

Take a look at the Intel support site http://www.intel.com/support/processors/sb/CS-030123.htm to see how far back their processors have provided SSE2 support - Pentium4, even Celeron, back almost to the turn of the millennium! If Corel are refusing to support anything less than i3, they need to review their system requirements.

Piers

I have a suspicion that it may be just that individual, rather than the company - but who knows? This morning I did what their Level 1 support person told me, and set IE11 to the default browser. It suddenly speeded up! Next day, after restart - back to 5 minutes again. So I uninstalled, reinstalled, using IE to launch the reinstall from. Now it won't run at all!!

I've finally uninstalled it, installed Oly Viewer and Acorn on my Macbook, and I'm giving up on my PC.

But that PC is a powerful machine. OK, it isn't the latest processor family - but aren't they a development of the Core 2 Duo family? When X8 ran, it was much faster than X7. X7 is a bigger program. So I conclude that the problem isn't the processor or display adaptor. This is the e-mail from Corel about it:

My name is Steven and I have been assigned to your case 02367687. After reviewing your case, I reviewed your Winaudit information about the system you are trying to run the trial on and this is the system you have:

Microsoft Windows 7
Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E8500 @ 3.16GHz
Total Memory 3936MB
Intel(R) Q45/Q43 Express Chipset

I can see why the program is launching slow as well closing slow as I will be honest with you, this system is a bit on the old side to run Paintshop Pro X8. Especially the display adapter is very old.

The program should not be running in compatibility mode at all so you can take that off. The other thing is when you first launched the software after it was installed, did you add any collection of pictures under collections?

If you right click on a picture and you choose open with Paintshop Pro X8, that will load the picture right into the edit seciton, does that load any faster? Unfortunately, we can only offer limited support for this system. Do you have another system that is newer with perhaps either a Core i3, i5 or i7 processor?

Regards,

Steven
Corel Support

Having answered his e-mail, I haven't heard another word from him.
I can honestly say that I won't be buying any more Corel products anytime soon!

KeithL
3rd September 2015, 05:42 PM
I appreciate this is not relevant to your problem Keith but, ss I mentioned in an earlier post, I also installed Corel X8 trial on my laptop. The program itself appeared to run ok but the following morning I noticed the computer was running very slow in all programs. After trying all the usual tests and fixes with no improvement, I remembered my X8 install and removed it. The laptop was immediately back to it's normal rapid speed ! :confused:

John

I think it is relevant, John! When it's installed, it does something VERY strange. It interfered with both Comodo Dragon and my stylus tablet (Wacom) - sent the stylus tablet completely bananas.

X7 was fine (before their second update, anyway!) so I think they've got X8 wrong. And probably don't want to admit it. Sigh.....