PDA

View Full Version : Paint Shop Pro X8.....

KeithL
29th August 2015, 09:47 AM
I skimmed the thread about Windows Hell, and thought I would add this thread, since it is more directly photographic. And this is ....... Corel Hell!

I have bought and used PSP X6, and X7 with very little hassle. The clone brush in X7 won't work properly now, after some updates to X7; so when X8 appeared, I thought I would try it. So I downloaded the installer (you can't save it to disc :mad:) and installed it.

It takes literally 5 minutes to open from double-clicking the icon, and almost as long to shut down. When you click the red cross, the program goes away and an empty dialog box appears. You can't get rid of that until it is populated - which takes....5 minutes. Well, I got on to Corel's support. five or six days on, they have given up, and elevated it to Level 2 support, for which I am now waiting.

Unfortunately, it's a Win10 product, running in Win7 "compatibility" mode - for which, I'd say, read "mess-up mode". It affects Comodo Dragon and my Wacom pen. After installing X8, I have to stop and restart the Wacom pen or that won't work properly, either. Oddly, though, once X8 runs, it's fine.

Now, you'd think Corel might just have tested it with a Wacom stylus tablet, wouldn't you? At one point, they even told me that it would only work with IE - which I don't use - and I said "unacceptable".

So far I have wasted probably 10 hours messing about with trying Corel's "fixes". All to no avail. I have - on their instructions - had to reset all my passwords - another nightmare. I've run WinAudit, MSFixIt, System Mechanic; all show there is no problem with my computer......or is there? Who knows? Win7 hides so much from the user, it's impossible to know.

I've now ordered a refurb Macbook to try out. If I like it, I won't be going to Win10. My PC will be up for sale.

IanB
29th August 2015, 09:49 AM
thats a bugga to hear!

KeithL
30th August 2015, 10:45 AM
You can say that again, Ian!
Here's what happens. Every time I start it, it wants to modify my computer:
http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/500/P10207031.jpg (http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/85931)

Clicking Yes, it starts. Note the time on my watch:
http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/500/P1020704.jpg (http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/85932)

Now note the time when the announcement panel appears:
http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/500/P1020705.jpg (http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/85933)

Now, close down - click on the cross:
http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/500/P1020706.jpg (http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/85934)

This is what you get, instantly:
http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/500/P1020707.jpg (http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/85935)

And now, when the dialog box is populated - but the ring still spinning:
http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/500/P1020708.jpg (http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/85936)

In more than 30 years of using computers professionally, I have never, ever, seen such a fault! It's like it goes to sleep for several minutes: the HDD light shows that nothing much is happening. Something in the start-up and close down sequence must be looking for a link or a hook into Windows that it can't find....or something like that.

If anyone has any ideas, I am all ears!

Jim Ford
30th August 2015, 04:06 PM
"We hope you are enjoying your trial!"

They're 'aving a larff'!

Jim

johnzsv
30th August 2015, 08:06 PM
Sorry to hear about the problems with PaintShop Pro X8. I downloaded it and it is on my harddrive in the "download" section, so I was a little puzzled to read that it was not possible to do so. As someone else mentioned there must be something wrong with the download in some way. To shut PSP down I usually go to the "File" menu and close it down from there. The start up and shut down speeds are what I expect and fairly quick. The only other thing that I can think of is that there is some sort of software conflict - perhaps an anti this and that program has taken a dislike to PSP. I have come to loathe these scanning programs as they often interfere with programs that I am using. :mad:

I have had some problems with Photoshop CC lately which got worse when I had the awful experiences of "upgrading" to W10 (now back on W7!). So, I had a look at PSP X8 and have been using it with no problems. I have to say that I think that it is much better than X6 or X7. So far I have been very pleased with it.

The clone tool seems to be more stable than Photoshop's, and once you get used to the left and right mouse button system it is much easier to use.

Perhaps try uninstalling then download afresh and install and see if that helps.

Good luck!
John.

IanB
30th August 2015, 10:58 PM
You can say that again, Ian!thats a bugga to hear! :rolleyes:

and reckon Adobe are behind all your dramas *yes :rolleyes: .
Seems to be a few moving from Adobe to Paint; mainly over the CC stuff.

mikeb
31st August 2015, 12:53 AM
Try going into control panel - user accounts, then user account control and turn the notifications level down to the lowest setting. Apply that and then try and load X8 again. It shouldn't prompt you to ask if you want to run it. I don't know if it'll make any difference, but I know a couple of programs that do similar. If it does improve start up time, you can always feed that back to Corel in the hope that they might fix the problem.

I'm still using PSP 7.04, which is about 15 years old! It does almost everything I need, but it's obviously quite dated in some areas now. I seem to remember the version after it went very down hill (I think it was about the time Corel bought it).

KeithL
31st August 2015, 11:45 AM
Try going into control panel - user accounts, then user account control and turn the notifications level down to the lowest setting. Apply that and then try and load X8 again. It shouldn't prompt you to ask if you want to run it. I don't know if it'll make any difference, but I know a couple of programs that do similar. If it does improve start up time, you can always feed that back to Corel in the hope that they might fix the problem.

I'm still using PSP 7.04, which is about 15 years old! It does almost everything I need, but it's obviously quite dated in some areas now. I seem to remember the version after it went very down hill (I think it was about the time Corel bought it).

Thanks all for your comments and suggestions.

Mike, I tried your suggestion re User Accounts - makes no difference. However, I acted on a hunch, and have found one setting that speeds it up dramatically - but only the start up! I use Comodo Dragon, which offers much improved security compared to IE. There is a setting in Comodo Dragon that allows you to block your address header going to websites, and I had ticked that. I just unticked it, and ...BINGO! X8 speeded up. So it doesn't like the security in Comodo Dragon. I wondered if that was the problem; it may be related to this being a trial version.

The young lady at Corel's support advised me to set IE to be my default browser, and she said that it is only designed to work with IE (!!) So any browser other than IE will give X8 a problem, since most have better security settings than IE. Since I use Comodo, I said, no, I shouldn't have to change my browser to use X8.

Of course, if Windows were secure, we wouldn't need to do anything about security, would we?

BTW, I'm told that you don't need antivirus with Macs, because whenever anything tries to alter software in the Mac, it throws up a dialog box, asking you if you wish to allow it, so if it looks like a virus, you can say "no" and that's it. Ho-hum! :)

KeithL
31st August 2015, 11:53 AM
Sorry to hear about the problems with PaintShop Pro X8. I downloaded it and it is on my harddrive in the "download" section, so I was a little puzzled to read that it was not possible to do so.

Hi John. Did you download the trial, or pay for it? I found PSP X8 Creative Content in my Downloads folder, I guess that must be the compressed program...?

johnzsv
31st August 2015, 01:23 PM
Hi Keith

I downloaded the trial and liked what I found then paid for it. When I went to enter my card details I elected to use a debit card, but things are not set up on the site for our debit cards, so used the credit card lane with my debit card (I do not have a credit card!). It is possible, for an extra charge, to receive a backup disk, but for some reason I did not seem to click on right area for that. I have actually copied the file onto a memory stick as a backup.
The file with PSP itself will be called PSPX8_PF that is the program. To test things out I went to my other computer, normally used with my ham radio, and copied the file from the memory stick into the downloads. Then I double clicked on the PSPX8_PF file and it opened up and installed PSP on the other computer. The creative collection is a suite of addons (plugins), which you may or may not find useful. I find that sometimes an image may need a little extra work and a plugin helps, but, on the whole I am finding enough within PSP to do the job. I still have a lot to learn about it but it can fun finding out just what it can do!

The plugin I find that I may use more than the others (but not in this suite!) is the Topaz Detail, which I have used with Photoshop. Otherwise I try to get things right in camera, where possible, so that the post processing is at a minimum. On that I have to say that I seem to be doing less post processing since getting my M10!

Hope this helps and have fun with it - I certainly am!!

Regards
John.

KeithL
31st August 2015, 01:56 PM
Hi Keith

I downloaded the trial and liked what I found then paid for it. When I went to enter my card details I elected to use a debit card, but things are not set up on the site for our debit cards, so used the credit card lane with my debit card (I do not have a credit card!). It is possible, for an extra charge, to receive a backup disk, but for some reason I did not seem to click on right area for that. I have actually copied the file onto a memory stick as a backup.
The file with PSP itself will be called PSPX8_PF that is the program. To test things out I went to my other computer, normally used with my ham radio, and copied the file from the memory stick into the downloads. Then I double clicked on the PSPX8_PF file and it opened up and installed PSP on the other computer. The creative collection is a suite of addons (plugins), which you may or may not find useful. I find that sometimes an image may need a little extra work and a plugin helps, but, on the whole I am finding enough within PSP to do the job. I still have a lot to learn about it but it can fun finding out just what it can do!

The plugin I find that I may use more than the others (but not in this suite!) is the Topaz Detail, which I have used with Photoshop. Otherwise I try to get things right in camera, where possible, so that the post processing is at a minimum. On that I have to say that I seem to be doing less post processing since getting my M10!

Hope this helps and have fun with it - I certainly am!!

Regards
John.

How strange, John - I can't find the downloaded program....just isn't there in the Downloads! PSPX7_PF is there....but that was a Win7 program. I reckon it's hidden away somewhere in a Windows Temporary location. And they can be swines to find!

I've used X6 then X7, and hope(!) to use X8. I also use Topaz - Clarity and B&W 2, as plug-ins to X7 and to Elements 12. They can be useful, but I find that you have to be very careful using them; easy to overdo the effect. Like you, I try to get it right in camera; but I've found with the M5 especially that I have to work on every image to get an acceptable result. The PL3 is better in that regard. I'm wondering about an M10 Mk 2, but I do like the M5 being weatherproofed. I needed it in Scandinavia last June - it p'd down, and the camera got thoroughly wet (and I, thoroughly miserable....:))!

Well, at least I've got X8 to start up quickly now.........:cool:

Many thanks for your comments.

KeithL
31st August 2015, 02:10 PM
I noticed this on Windows Central, about Win 10:
"Perhaps is not a big deal for many users, but it's to me. One of many things I liked from Windows 8.1 was the ability to reboot or shutdown in just a few seconds. I have a fairly new Intel Core i7 and 16GB of RAM machine, and I don't know what's going on with Windows 10, but now it can take minutes to reboot or shutdown.

Obviously, it's a problem that Microsoft have to address."

Interesting, since X8 is written for Win10!