PDA

View Full Version : Religious Extremism

Zuiko
29th August 2015, 12:13 AM
http://www.e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/500/truth-facts-funny-graphs-wumo-29_r.jpg

KeithL
30th August 2015, 10:51 AM
Isn't that something to do with the Devil and an apple tree in the Garden of Eden? Satan worship, perhaps? :D

Naughty Nigel
31st August 2015, 09:33 PM
I shall take up my iPad and stamp my feet! *yes

You might not be able to see king's new suit of clothes, but with my Super Retina display I can see anything I want. :D

Wee man
31st August 2015, 10:13 PM
Typical; android worshipers ignored again! To say nothing of Jedi knights.

pdk42
31st August 2015, 11:28 PM
And lo, the Lord said - ye who take up the poisoned Apple device will forever be cast forth from my kingdom; I will smite thee and send endless OS upgrades which will make your devices as slow as molasses. Amen.

Olybirder
31st August 2015, 11:44 PM
It's getting a bit tedious now. *zzz

tomphotofx
1st September 2015, 04:21 PM
Yikes!! There has been more blood shed in the name of religion than anything else, I shall continue to be an Atheist as well as an Apple and Microsoft user.

Naughty Nigel
1st September 2015, 05:05 PM
Yikes!! There has been more blood shed in the name of religion than anything else, I shall continue to be an Atheist as well as an Apple and Microsoft user.

But are you an Apple/Microsoft Moderate or a Fundamentalist? :D

tomphotofx
1st September 2015, 05:24 PM
A simple Atheist always searching for the meaning of life and enjoying every moment.

Tom :cool:

Zuiko
1st September 2015, 05:54 PM
A simple Atheist always searching for the meaning of life and enjoying every moment.

Tom :cool:

A Believer would say that religion is the meaning of life but I would say it has no meaning, it's just a random occurrence made possible by a certain combination of circumstances and it is up to us to make the best of it without over-analysing things. If everybody adopted that approach I'm sure the World would be a happier, more peaceful place. :)

tomphotofx
1st September 2015, 06:16 PM
I'm all for everlasting peace, sadly the truth is that all the time man has a presence on this planet called Earth he will destroy himself and the planet with it. :eek:

Tom

drmarkf
1st September 2015, 06:18 PM
A Believer would say that religion is the meaning of life but I would say it has no meaning, it's just a random occurrence made possible by a certain combination of circumstances and it is up to us to make the best of it without over-analysing things. If everybody adopted that approach I'm sure the World would be a happier, more peaceful place. :)

Hallelujah, Brother Zuiko.

:D

Naughty Nigel
1st September 2015, 06:55 PM
I'm all for everlasting peace, sadly the truth is that all the time man has a presence on this planet called Earth he will destroy himself and the planet with it. :eek:

Tom

But isn't that all about power, influence and money rather than religion?

Religion has done a great deal of good in the world, (and has provided the basis of our legislature). Religion (like politics) only becomes dangerous when megalomaniacs believe theirs is the only way, and are prepared to use violence intimidate those who oppose them.

The results of this effect can be seen almost daily in the television news, and are by no means confined to the Middle East. (The University Tuition fee riots in the UK come to mind.)

Zuiko
1st September 2015, 07:01 PM

Tom

The trouble is that we have created relative comfort zones in the forms of civilization and religion and as a result fail to realize the fragility of Earth's ecosystem or the precarious nature of our continued existence. However, the eventual demise of Humanity will only be a disaster for our own species and we will eventually become just a minor footnote in the history of our planet. Evolution of life on Earth will then be free to follow a more natural course based upon ability to adapt and take advantage of change, including major changes caused by us that we are unable to survive, without the oppression of an over-dominant and destructive species.

pdk42
1st September 2015, 08:45 PM
The trouble is that we have created relative comfort zones in the forms of civilization and religion and as a result fail to realize the fragility of Earth's ecosystem or the precarious nature of our continued existence. However, the eventual demise of Humanity will only be a disaster for our own species and we will eventually become just a minor footnote in the history of our planet. Evolution of life on Earth will then be free to follow a more natural course based upon ability to adapt and take advantage of change, including major changes caused by us that we are unable to survive, without the oppression of an over-dominant and destructive species.

I fear you're right John. Which is a real pity since it's just amazingly, unbelievably astonishing that this watery mass of warring cells (that each of us really is), has collectively managed to figure out - from first principles no less - the basic rules of the universe in which we live; I'm talking of science and maths of course. Think about that for a few minutes and the scale of it is truly mind-boggling. It's perhaps the case that it's happened nowhere else in the universe (despite its size). To throw it all away in our greed and stupidity would be truly sad, but I think that too is in our nature - another inevitable result of those same warring cells.

As for religion, I'm definitely of the view that it's a cancerous thought process that has brought endless misery to most of civilisation over the aeons. Imagine that all of human knowledge was lost and had to be reconstructed. I'm totally convinced that science and maths would emerge again in an identical form to how we see it today, but we'd have a completely different set of religions. All we can be sure of is that these new religions would likely be at each other's throats in the same way as the Christians, Muslims, Jews etc are today.

Is this thread getting too religious I wonder.... ;)

Zuiko
1st September 2015, 09:46 PM
Is this thread getting too religious I wonder.... ;)

Probably, after all it did start out as a light-hearted joke about Apple products. I have firm beliefs (or should that be non-beliefs) about religion but I fully respect that other views are equally valid. It's sad but true that if we, collectively, didn't have religion to fight about, we'd soon find another excuse.

Naughty Nigel
1st September 2015, 10:10 PM
It's sad but true that if we, collectively, didn't have religion to fight about, we'd soon find another excuse.

That statement is undoubtedly true.

Disagreements and fighting between religious factions are rarely about the religions concerned, or the beliefs of their followers. It's usually because the followers of a particular faith believe they have a bad deal; whether that be about jobs, land or freedom to practice their faith; or increasingly it seems, because minority groups believe they have the right to dictate how countries are run, irrespective of the views of others.

However, the individuals concerned are usually a small band of megalomaniacs who only represent only themselves and their impressionable followers.

As I said before, it's all about power, influence and (usually) money.

Zuiko
1st September 2015, 10:23 PM
As I said before, it's all about power, influence and (usually) money.

That has never been more true, particularly power and influence. Money is inextricably linked, but usually as a means to achieving the other two once a certain level of wealth has been attained. For some, money is their Trump card in the pursuit of power. I know I'm not religious, but I'm going to make an exception in this case by saying God help us all!

David M
1st September 2015, 10:45 PM
Forty two :D

Zuiko
1st September 2015, 11:15 PM
Forty two :D

Yes, that's all you need to know:-

Forty-two is a pronic number and an abundant number; its prime factorization 2 · 3 · 7 makes it the second sphenic number and also the second of the form { 2 · 3 · r }. As with all sphenic numbers of this form, the aliquot sum is abundant by 12. 42 is also the second sphenic number to be bracketed by twin primes; 30 is also a pronic number and also rests between two primes. 42 has a 14-member aliquot sequence 42, 54, 66, 78, 90, 144, 259, 45, 33, 15, 9, 4, 3, 1, 0 and is itself part of the aliquot sequence commencing with the first sphenic number 30. Further, 42 is the 10th member of the 3-aliquot tree.
It is the third primary pseudoperfect number.
It is a Catalan number. Consequently, 42 is the number of noncrossing partitions of a set of five elements, the number of triangulations of a heptagon, the number of rooted ordered binary trees with six leaves, the number of ways in which five pairs of nested parentheses can be arranged, etc.
It is an alternating sign matrix number, that is, the number of 4-by-4 alternating sign matrices.
It is the number of partitions of 10—the number of ways of expressing 10 as a sum of positive integers (note a different sense of partition from that above).

The 3 × 3 × 3 magic cube with rows summing to 42.Given 27 same-size cubes whose nominal values progress from 1 to 27, a 3×3×3 magic cube can be constructed such that every row, column, and corridor, and every diagonal passing through the center, is composed of 3 cubes whose sum of values is 42.
It is the third pentadecagonal number. It is a meandric number and an open meandric number.
It is conjectured to be the scaling factor in the leading order term of the "sixth moment of the Riemann zeta function". In particular, Conrey & Ghosh have conjectured that {1 \over T}\int_0^T \left| \zeta\left({1 \over 2} + it\right) \right|^6\,dt \sim {42 \over 9!}\prod_p \left\{1-{1\over p}\right\}^4 \left( 1 + {4 \over p} + {1 \over p^2} \right) \log^9 T, .where the infinite product is over all prime numbers, p.[1][2]
42 is a Størmer number.
42 is the only known value that is the number of sets of four distinct positive integers a,b,c,d, each less than the value itself, such that ab-cd, ac-bd, and ad-bc are each multiples of the value. Whether there are other values remains an open question.[3]
42 is a (2,6)-perfect number (super-multiperfect), as \sigma^2(n)=\sigma(\sigma(n))=6n\,[4]
42 is the resulting number of the original Smith number (4937775): Both the sum of its digits (4+9+3+7+7+7+5) and the sum of the digits in its prime factorization (3+5+5+(6+5+8+3+7)) result in 42.
The dimension of the Borel subalgebra in the exceptional Lie algebra e6 is 42.
42 is the largest number n such that there exist positive integers p,q,r with 1 - 1/n = 1/p + 1/q + 1/r
42 is the smallest number k such that for every Riemann surface C, #Aut(C) <= k deg(KC) = k (2g -2) (Hurwitz's automorphisms theorem)
In base 10, this number is a Harshad number and a self number, while it is a repdigit in base 4 (as 222).

Source:- Wikipedia (so it must be right)

David M
1st September 2015, 11:30 PM
So it's not just the answer to life, the universe and everything.

Zuiko
2nd September 2015, 12:13 AM
So it's not just the answer to life, the universe and everything.

No, it's all that and much, much more! :D

It's also the bus route between Camberwell Green and The Bricklayer's Arms, in case you are ever in London.

Wee man
2nd September 2015, 12:41 AM
It is also the result of adding seven sixes or in fact multiplying six by seven, or so I am told, but prefer wikipedia data to impress friends or lose them!

Barkly
2nd September 2015, 07:53 AM
Mayday Mayday - thread creep!

Naughty Nigel
2nd September 2015, 08:09 AM
Mayday Mayday - thread creep!

Who is? :confused: