PDA

View Full Version : Chatham Historic Dockyard

Jim Ford
28th August 2015, 09:28 PM
I went with a friend with his father, who was on the Arctic Convoys in the last War, to Chatham Historic Dockyard last month.

As it was my friends father's day, I didn't get much opportunity to take photo's, but saw enough to make me determined to revisit, in spite of the horrendous M25 journey (but then, what M25 journey isn't horrendous?!).

From what I saw, Chatham is at least as interesting as the arguably more famous Portsmouth Historic Dockyard. The guides were also very helpful.

So, if Chatham is within 'striking distance' for you and you want an interesting day out, give the Historic Dockyard a try.

http://www.thedockyard.co.uk/

Jim

Andrew Riddell
28th August 2015, 10:24 PM
Jim,

The covered slips are world-class (and can be seen from Upnor across the river), but Chatham also has Fort Amherst, the Twydall redoubts and the Royal Engineers HQ at Brompton. There's plenty to se in Chatham!

Andrew

Melaka
29th August 2015, 07:38 AM
Another good place for photographing old ships is Hartlepool. HMS Trincomalee built 1817 is there and well worth a visit. She's about 60% original - much more than HMS Victory.

KeithL
30th August 2015, 10:50 AM
I went to Chatham some years ago, and found it really excellent. There are three ships to go on: a Victorian gunboat, A WW2 destroyer, and an O class submarine (HMS Ocelot). I have some photos somewhere, if I can find them.

Talking of originality, last main holiday we saw the Vasa. Amazing - and, they say, 98% original. I'll post some photos later when I have time.

OM USer
1st September 2015, 12:52 PM
I've been a few times before and found it well worth the visit but pictures are from a Fuji comapct (they also had a model railway show and a saddle tank shunter in steam on one occassion). Not been again since they opened "Dicken's World".