PDA

View Full Version : Interloper from Hampshire

Adagio
1st December 2008, 02:24 PM
Have been retired nearly 8 years now after a career in the semiconductor industry. Have been active on and off in photography for around 55 years! Remember at the age of 15 building a very crude enlarger and trying to make prints in the cupboard under the stairs. Eventually, many years later, had a Kaiser colour enlarger and processing drum which revolved in a water bath. Life is much easier with Photoshop.
First 35mm camera Voigtlander CL. Subsequently graduated to Pentax Spotmatic F and then Program A both of which I still have. I was a late adopter of digital photography, I was sceptical that it could match the IQ of my Pentax. However, having taken the plunge 3 years ago I am totally converted.
My current digital is an Olympus SP550. Despite its well known shortcomings i.e. focussing difficulty at high focal lengths in poor light and noise at high ISO I am pretty pleased with it as an alround carry camera. The noise problem has never been an issue with me as I do not tend to shoot fast moving (they are mostly stationary) subjects and the IS is magic! I have produced good quality prints up to 16"x12".
I am now contemplating the major step to DSLR. The obvious candidate, given the glass I have might be the Pentax K20D. But I have a high regard for Olympus optics and the physical size makes the E520 (must have IS) a likely candidate. Then along comes, or is at least coming, the E30 to further make my life difficult. It is not an easy decision as one is going to invest in a system
Although not yet an E-System user I have joined this group in order to learn more, maybe be persuaded and if I do make the jump to share my experiences. I hope that this is permissible under your rules.

Graham_of_Rainham
1st December 2008, 02:26 PM
David,

You sound like so many of us here you will feel right at home.

Look forward to seeing some pictures.

Welcome :)

*chr

snaarman
1st December 2008, 02:38 PM
You are most welcome here :-)

I am an ex Nikon film user, and I moved via the excellent optics of the Olympus 8080 to the E510 - and yes, I find I.S. is essential especially as I get older.

Feel free to ask this lot any questions you might have.. They are a friendly bunch

Pete

tlove
1st December 2008, 06:10 PM
Welcome - and don't worry, we'll soon spend your money for you on new camera gear :D:D

They're a good bunch on here - no question is too daft (believe me, been there, done that, got the tee shirt!), so ask away!

Barr1e
1st December 2008, 06:12 PM
Hi David -

Welcome.

I was a Fuji fanatic for some years and when looking to go DSLR I found Olympus and the idea of the 4/3rds system appealed. I chose the E-510 as did my wife due to the quality of the twin lens kit. Since then we have added lenses and I have graduated to the E-3.
Anne is keeping her options open re the E-30.

There is much to see on the site - hope to see you around.

Regards. Barr1e

petrovich
1st December 2008, 07:07 PM
Welcome David.

Quite a few on here from Hampshire...

*chr

Ijay37
1st December 2008, 07:18 PM
There's a co-incedence I also made my own enlarger and set it up under the stairs about 53 yrs ago. Welcome to the forum.
John

shenstone
1st December 2008, 08:26 PM
I was a late adopter of digital photography, I was sceptical that it could match the IQ of my Pentax. However, having taken the plunge 3 years ago I am totally converted.

Me too (see the profile - I saw an MZ5+ lenses in a shop window for < 100 at the weekend - sob!)

welcome aboard - if you do take the plunge you'll find some of the most helpful photo adicts on the web in this forum

Regards
Andy

Ellie
1st December 2008, 09:07 PM
Hi David, good to meet you :)

Settle in and enjoy yourself, you'll notice that there are quite a few of us "down here" in the south, some not very far from you.

It's hard to decide what system to buy into, whatever you decide is up to you but if it's Olympus I don't think you'll regret it, not least because the anti-dust system is fantastically effective and even the kit lenses are superb.

Graham_of_Rainham
1st December 2008, 10:28 PM
David,

To get you quickly up to speed on some of the ways this site works, I've sent you a PM (Private Message) We often use it to discuss things so the forum isn't cloged up with "chat"

*chr

Batman
1st December 2008, 10:33 PM
Hi David,

I'm another David and I'm pleased to meet you.

I'm also a new member and not nearly as clever as the helpful lot in this group. As a result though, I am learning by the day. I just need to put it into practice.

I last used a SLR many years ago and about 8 years ago went 'digital'. In retirement, my wife and I have recently done a few African holidays and initially I used a Sony DSC-H1, which did pretty well for wildlife. This year I wanted to improve my photography and made the decision to go for an Olympus E-520 as I had previously been impressed by the E-510 from a handling point of view. I went for a twin lens kit including the 70-300mm lens. I'm still getting used to it but it is just what I needed for wildlife. I don't think you would be disappointed if you wet for the E system. Some of the fantastic shots taken by members of this group may well convince you.

Regards

Dave

Adagio
2nd December 2008, 05:16 PM
Thank you all for your warm welcome. This has never happened on any forum that I have previously signed up to.

michaelavis
30th December 2008, 12:45 AM
I'm a relative newcomer and like you, couldn't believe how friendly this forum is based on experience of others so I'll also add my welcome. Have you taken the plunge yet? People on this forum would be interested to know I'm sure.

Despite entering the dSLR world via an Olympus E510 with kit lenses, I was really attracted by the speeds and feeds of the dSLR bodies from Canon, Nikon and Sony when I was looking to "move on" to a camera that would put me into a postion to get good hand-held sports and adventure images, as often as possible, in variable light, with lively focussing and continuous shooting from moderately-wide angle to moderately-telephoto in all kinds of weather conditions without having to carry a back-pack full of heavy equipment.

Functionally, this requirement could easily be met by those brands but the "system" I ended up with was unbeatable for price/performance and compactness, no back-pack required, just a modest shoulder bag all-up. An equivalent weather-proof, >5fps, 12-280mm (24-560mm) f2.8-5.6 combo from the others were upwards of 50% more expensive and 50% heavier/larger overall, way into back-pack territory.

If you have a full-frame future in mind or a very different set of requirements, the story could be very different of course, but the value of looking at the System is huge and Olympus's trump card, they don't seem to do a duff lens for example, quite the opposite. At first sight I thought Oly might be near the bottom of my evaluation but I was totally wrong about that! *yes

Adagio
5th January 2009, 10:05 PM
Have you taken the plunge yet? People on this forum would be interested to know I'm sure.

Michael thanks for your welcoming remarks. I thought that I had made up my mind on an initial investment of E520 + 12-60 mm. The imminent arrival on the scene of the E30 has caused me to pause. I will almost certainly wait until the pricing becomes known. It will probably exceed my budget *cry

skyman1
5th January 2009, 11:35 PM
Hi David i would also like to say welcome ,i also think this is a great friendly place hope you get a good bit out of it :)

Ellie
6th January 2009, 12:20 AM
The imminent arrival on the scene of the E30 has caused me to pause. I will almost certainly wait until the pricing becomes known. It will probably exceed my budget *cry

I think it's caused a lot of people to pause, but the price will be quite critical. It might even be cheaper on the continent than here because of the Euro exchange situation :(

Adagio
4th February 2009, 01:11 PM
Well-
a) The E30 has not yet appeared
b) Price looks silly :confused:
c) I can wait no longer

I have ordered E-520 twin lens kit with 70-300. Wish me luck *chr

snaarman
4th February 2009, 01:19 PM
Aha! Welcome to digital heaven :)

I have spent the winter scanning my old slides (using my E510 and macro lens) and I am forced to admit that modern plastic cameras and clever kit lenses make for sharper images than my old Nikons and heavy glass...

Plus I find I take far more pictures these days. Enjoy the E520!!

Pete

skyman1
4th February 2009, 04:12 PM
Hi David good luck with your choice and welcome aboard the E System I hope it does the job you want it for. :)

Jonesgj
6th February 2009, 07:55 PM
Hi David,

Welcome!

I bought my first dslr last year - E500. I moved to the E520, and thoroughly enjoy using it. I went for the 14-54mm - still excellent.

I'm sure that the E30 would be good too.

Adagio
20th February 2009, 07:17 PM
At last E-520 arrived today so can now regard myself as a full member. Bought twin lens kit with 70-200. Frustrated by having to wait 5 hours for the battery to charge but managed a few snaps out of the window late afternoon. Hope the sun shines this weekend.

*chr

Any suggestions for bag? As small as is consistent with holding this kit preferably with telephoto zoom attached to camera. Tamrac System 3?

Batman
20th February 2009, 10:53 PM
Hi David,

I'm not saying that it is best, but I use a Lowpro Slingshot 2 for my kit which is, I think, the same as yours. That is E520, 14-42 and 70-300. I also have a 40-150. It takes all of this kit with spare space for a flash, sunglasses, etc. The E520 with 70-300 attached fits ok but you have to take the lens hood off.

I like the Slingshot as it swings around to the front easily for access without taking it off. If there is a problem then maybe it is a little soft. Have a look atv the Lowpro website. I bought it because I had a Slingshot 1 (smaller) for my previous kit and this would have been fine for the E520 and smaller kit lens' but not with the 70-300 attached.

Sorry but I have no experience of the alternatives.

Hope this helps.

Dave

Andrew Riddell
20th February 2009, 11:41 PM
Any suggestions for bag? As small as is consistent with holding this kit preferably with telephoto zoom attached to camera. Tamrac System 3?

I'm using E510, 7-14, 12-60, 70-300 + EC14. If you don't want a backpack, all of this (with batteries, filters and miscellaneous bits) fits into a Think Tank Urban Disguise 30. Actually, the UD40 gives a bit more convenience when changing lenses (I've got both). The best thing about the UD range is the depth of the bag. I can drop the 70-300 with hood in normal position or the same lens with the EC14 on the E510 with hood reversed into either bag.

The UD seies is not particularly cheap, but very well made. I've been very happy with mine.

Hope this helps!

Andrew

Batman
21st February 2009, 08:34 AM
Senior moment! I did of course mean Slingshot 200 and 100.

Dave

Jonesgj
21st February 2009, 09:02 AM
Hi David,

I started last year with much the same questions about carrying equipment and what equipment to take where. After trying a few backpacks I settled with a shoulder bag: a Crumpler Pretty Boy 7500 XXXL.

I am able to place my 70-300mm to one side, my 14-54mm on the other. I can still place my E-520 body in the centre together with two spare batteries, and spare cards. In the front partition I have my lens cleaner, hand cleaner, tripod plates, batteries for my Flash, small screwdriver and a spare lens and body cap.

If needed I sometimes fit my 14-42mm with the close-up lens to the camera body - so I can carry three lenses.

If needed I carry my FL36R in a pouch on my belt.

I hope this helps

Graydon