PDA

View Full Version : Apple IPhone Accessory Rip-Off!

Jim Ford
25th August 2015, 10:22 PM
I bought a 64 Gig OTG memory stick for my Android 'phone a while ago. I paid 13.79 for it:

https://www.7dayshop.com/products/kingston-dt-microduo-usb-3-0-micro-usb-otg-64gb-WH2-DTDUO3/64GB

It works well and I can move files to and from the 'phone's internal memory, and play music files from it.

I was watching a consumer programme a couple of day ago that appeared to be IPhone orientated, and almost fell out of my chair laughing at the Apple equivalent to my 64 Gig 'dongle'. The Apple equivalent was 99.99 and furthermore was being promoted as being a bargain price!

Jim

Naughty Nigel
26th August 2015, 11:07 AM
I bought a 64 Gig OTG memory stick for my Android 'phone a while ago. I paid 13.79 for it:

https://www.7dayshop.com/products/kingston-dt-microduo-usb-3-0-micro-usb-otg-64gb-WH2-DTDUO3/64GB

It works well and I can move files to and from the 'phone's internal memory, and play music files from it.

I was watching a consumer programme a couple of day ago that appeared to be IPhone orientated, and almost fell out of my chair laughing at the Apple equivalent to my 64 Gig 'dongle'. The Apple equivalent was 99.99 and furthermore was being promoted as being a bargain price!

Jim

Ah well; you see Apple wants you to buy a 64 GB or 128 GB phone up front, rather than adding cheapo micro SD cards.

But guess what? The price difference between a 16 GB and 64 GB iPhone is rather more than the 13.79 that you paid for your 64 GB dongle!

And yet thousands of people spend the night queuing outside of Apple stores around the world when these things are first released. :(

The only word I can think of is 'gullible'. *yes

Ross the fiddler
26th August 2015, 11:59 AM
That looks interesting, but I don't think my Android phone supports OTG (Galaxy A3 with Kitkat 4.4), however, I did put in a Sandisk Ultra 64GB Micro USB card though which gives me plenty of storage that is so easy to transfer to the PC (copy or cut & paste). *yes It is soooo much better than trying to play with transferring files to & from my iPad that only works with iTunes (for direct cable connections). It is such a pain! :mad: Sure, I can save images & PDF files off the web, but who wants to go that way when all I want to do is transfer files between my PC & tablet. It is such a pleasure with my Android phone now, having dumped all my favourite music albums onto it in a very quick copy & paste. I thought the phone only had USB 2 but when plugged into my USB 3 port on my laptop it still transferred very fast.

Anyhow, I do agree the iPhone/iPad accessories are a rip off.

*chr

Naughty Nigel
26th August 2015, 12:08 PM
Anyhow, I do agree the iPhone/iPad accessories are a rip off.

*chr

How do you think Apple became the wealthiest company on the planet by far? *yes

However, I gather Apple is very concerned about the current economic problems in China, and their share price has dropped significantly as a result.

DerekW
26th August 2015, 02:42 PM
Good time to buy some shares then.

Naughty Nigel
26th August 2015, 03:19 PM
They are still trading at about $107 USD, but that is quite a lot lower than $132 at the end of July and $133 in February.

Naughty Nigel
26th August 2015, 03:29 PM
FWIW I fitted a 64 GB Micro SD card to my Android 'phone (Sony S3 Compact). This cost me about 21 from Memorybits.

This allows me to copy images directly from my camera so that I have a backup copy in case of loss.

Jim Ford
26th August 2015, 04:10 PM
FWIW I fitted a 64 GB Micro SD card to my Android 'phone (Sony S3 Compact). This cost me about 21 from Memorybits.

My Moto G doesn't have the option for a Micro SD card, so the OTG 'stick' was the only option for me.

Jim

benvendetta
26th August 2015, 10:35 PM
I am pretty sure that you can't add memory to either iphones or ipads. And that is why I will stick with Samsung and Android.

Ross the fiddler
26th August 2015, 10:44 PM
I am pretty sure that you can't add memory to either iphones or ipads. And that is why I will stick with Samsung and Android.

That is for sure! *yes

Steambuff
26th August 2015, 11:22 PM
You cannot insert SD or micro SD cards. You can buy a memory stick for iphones and ipads that uses the lighting connector, you are limited as to what you can do with it though. The one I know about is called iBridge. Not cheap though, about 80 for 64gb. (They are Apple approved)

There are cheap chinese look alikes appearing at a 1/3 to 1/2 the cost but not sure how well they work. (Apple might block them in the next ios update)

Dave

Ross the fiddler
26th August 2015, 11:45 PM
You cannot insert SD or micro SD cards. You can buy a memory stick for iphones and ipads that uses the lighting connector, you are limited as to what you can do with it though. The one I know about is called iBridge. Not cheap though, about 80 for 64gb. (They are Apple approved)

There are cheap chinese look alikes appearing at a 1/3 to 1/2 the cost but not sure how well they work. (Apple might block them in the next ios update)

Dave

Yes, the moral of that story is; don't update your iPhone/iPad 'cause they're only going block your devices you could use before! :mad:

Jim Ford
27th August 2015, 07:51 AM

Dave

The Andoid OTG one I mentioned earlier works well. It's about the size of a postage stamp, with a standard USB plug at one end and a micro at the other. I plug it into a USB port on a PC and fill it up. On plugging it into the 'phone it gets automatically mounted and the files can be easily accessed. Being USB 3, transfers are very fast.

Jim

Naughty Nigel
27th August 2015, 08:42 AM
If it helps, the Sony S3 definitely takes micro SD cards. I have a 64 GB card in mine, but I'm pretty sure it will accept 128 GB when they become readily available.