PDA

View Full Version : OMD-EM10 Mark II

rawclicks
25th August 2015, 06:09 AM
Hi All

Finally

http://www.olympus.co.uk/site/en/c/cameras/om_d_system_cameras/om_d/e_m10_mark_ii/index.html

Cheers
Rahul

sdb123
25th August 2015, 07:46 AM
Looks very nicely specced however pricing will be key (US $799, so assume the same in 's) for it to take off IMO.

IanB
25th August 2015, 07:46 AM
very interesting; we only assume the EM1 mark 2 will be next

the 10/2 would be a good back up camera

sdb123
25th August 2015, 08:09 AM
SRS have just tweeted re: an open-day on Saturday with the new camera:

https://twitter.com/SRSMicrosystems/status/636083510495854592

sdb123
25th August 2015, 08:34 AM
Pricing from Wex...

549 body only http://www.wexphotographic.com/buy-olympus-om-d-e-m10-mark-ii-digital-camera-body-silver/p1579585

Zuiko
25th August 2015, 08:38 AM
Looks very nicely specced however pricing will be key (US $799, so assume the same in 's) for it to take off IMO.

Don't worry - in 2 years time you will be able to buy it at a third of that price! :D

sdb123
25th August 2015, 08:43 AM
Don't worry - in 2 years time you will be able to buy it at a third of that price! :D

Absolutely...as is the case with every camera body (I'll learn one day!)...I don't think the price is too far off, with a 5yr warranty it's tempting.

al_kaholik
25th August 2015, 09:55 AM
Its not enough to justify an upgrade in my opinion for me as an E-M10 user, 5 axis stabilisation and some screen and viewfinder tweaks. Plus a little ergonomics, which I don't struggle with on the original. I'm not sold on the new dials and top layout.

sdb123
25th August 2015, 09:58 AM
I'm hoping to get along to SRS and have a play with one....I like the handling of my E-M10 (with grip) - the main attraction for me is the silent shutter/increased shutter speed which is my only criticism of the current camera.

paullus
25th August 2015, 10:00 AM
Another link to the SRS promotion for those near to their place in Watford.

http://us8.campaign-archive1.com/?u=0546016ef8821060e1d8e20c0&id=f16d3f2e73&e=957c773968

***Steve***

Miketoll
25th August 2015, 11:39 AM
Already a fairly detailed review out on DPReview. http://www.dpreview.com/articles/4887393042/bang-for-the-buck-olympus-om-d-e-m10-ii-review

mm500
25th August 2015, 05:54 PM
Already a fairly detailed review out on DPReview. http://www.dpreview.com/articles/4887393042/bang-for-the-buck-olympus-om-d-e-m10-ii-review

Blimey that was quick DPReview!

sdb123
25th August 2015, 06:33 PM
Blimey that was quick DPReview!

There's been lots of reviews surface today...there was obviously a non-disclosure agreement until midnight last night. Plenty of good information to be gathered from those articles too.

Olybirder
25th August 2015, 10:52 PM
Reading the DPR review I see the usual 'cons' are listed: 'overwhelming' menus, poor autofocus tracking with moving subjects, average video features and lack of 4k video. I wonder if Olympus are working hard to address these issues for the E-M1 II and that is why the new model releases have got out of sync? Hopefully that is the case and the next E-M1 can return to the top of its class.

Ron

IanB
25th August 2015, 11:10 PM
Reading the DPR review I see the usual 'cons' are listed: 'overwhelming' menus, poor autofocus tracking with moving subjects, average video features and lack of 4k video. I wonder if Olympus are working hard to address these issues for the E-M1 II and that is why the new model releases have got out of sync? Hopefully that is the case and the next E-M1 can return to the top of its class.

Ron

they need to be very careful a new sub-model does not make the main model or above models unattractive for the extra $ needed to own one; after all the EM10 is an entry level camera so we can only expect it to be lacking somewhere. Like cars; there are too many models of most camera makes IMO. However the Oly and 4/3 camera kits are very affordable when we consider the price of top quality lenses compared to similar DSLR lenses.

OM USer
26th August 2015, 10:28 AM
I like the AF targetting pad and wish I had it on my E-M5 Mk1 (I also wish they could implement a reset focus point to centre when you switch the camera off and on).

DekHog
26th August 2015, 11:26 AM
I know we're all used to them now, but the Oly menu system does need a serious going over, especially if they want to entice new users or people switching from other systems.... this is basically the same menu system I remember from the E-1, which off the top of my head I think was 2004.......

Olybirder
26th August 2015, 11:40 AM
(I also wish they could implement a reset focus point to centre when you switch the camera off and on).Do you have 'Set Home' set to the centre AF point position and assigned to a button? That way you only have to press one button to reset the AF point to your preferred position.

Ron

Olybirder
26th August 2015, 11:57 AM
Robin Wong has posted one of his excellent 'real world' reviews of the E-M10 ii here (http://robinwong.blogspot.co.uk/2015/08/olympus-om-d-e-m10-mark-ii-review.html). I find them much more useful than some of the other technical, spec-filled reviews and I really like his photographs.

Ron

Hermboy
26th August 2015, 12:26 PM
I thought the E-M10 Mk II was a relatively modest upgrade. The difference between the E-M5 mk I & II is quite large but not so with the E-M10. I wonder if many users will make the switch ?

sdb123
26th August 2015, 12:38 PM
I thought the E-M10 Mk II was a relatively modest upgrade. The difference between the E-M5 mk I & II is quite large but not so with the E-M10. I wonder if many users will make the switch ?

It doesn't seem as large an upgrade due to the original E-M10 having a number of features that were subsequently included on the second iteration of the E-M5.

I'm considering an upgrade FWIW.

drmarkf
26th August 2015, 12:51 PM
Yes, I like his reviews as well: very few others think much about the cameras in real-life, everyday use. Of the ultra-techie reviewers I would single out Gordon Laing of Cameralabs, who manages to combine ultimate geekhood with sensible comments on handling!

I like the look of the control layout on this new body, and I'm sure I'd get on with it. I shan't be swapping either an E-M1 or the GM1, but I'm sure I'd be happy to have one as a travel/backup body if I didn't like the under-the-radar abilities of the latter.

Thinking of the thought that has obviously gone in to the top plate controls of the mk II, Fuji continually gets plaudits for its controls and handling, but they still haven't managed to design a on-off switch that doesn't get knocked 'on' every time you put the camera back in the bag/pocket despite the 'T' being the third iteration of the X100!

Ross the fiddler
26th August 2015, 01:09 PM

I think you're overlooking the larger EVF & 5 axis (from 3) IBIS & the added Fn3 function button to start with as that is a definite improvement. EDIT, also slightly faster mechanical shutter & additional full electronic shutter (up to 1/16000 sec). Besides that, to use the word "upgrade" would not be correct in my way of thinking as I see it as a new replacement for the older iteration of the E-M10 & I see an upgrade to be to go to the next level model up, the E-M5 Mk II. I don't think Olympus would be thinking of current E-M10 users making a switch to the updated model (especially with it being the entry level OM-D) but to attract new users with a newer & better version of the E-M10 that is more current on the market. I know some existing OM-D & PEN users may get it as an extra body but it needs to be remembered it doesn't use the same battery as the E-M5 (& Mk II) & E-M1 (or PEN E-P5).

Anyhow, that's just my opinion. *chr

yorky
26th August 2015, 01:15 PM
very interesting; we only assume the EM1 mark 2 will be next

the 10/2 would be a good back up camera
Yes I would imagine it won't be far away-Can't wait!

Ross the fiddler
26th August 2015, 01:18 PM
Yes I would imagine it won't be far away-Can't wait!

I hope you can wait for 2016 then, at Photokina! ;) :D

Olybirder
26th August 2015, 01:37 PM
I hope you can wait for 2016 then, at Photokina! ;) :DI am in no hurry for it to appear as I won't be able to afford one. It is a bit of a novelty owning a digital camera which is nearly two years old and still a current model. :)

Ron

rosco
26th August 2015, 06:06 PM
I know we're all used to them now, but the Oly menu system does need a serious going over, especially if they want to entice new users or people switching from other systems.... this is basically the same menu system I remember from the E-1, which off the top of my head I think was 2004.......

Having come to Olympus from Nikon.I found the menu confusing and difficult to get the hang of.As the quoted poster said the menu system needs a complete overhaul.

PaulB
26th August 2015, 06:25 PM
Link nicked from another website.

http://www.mirrorlessons.com/2015/08/25/olympus-om-d-e-m10-mark-ii-review/

Scroll down to "other features" and he shows a focus bracketing feature which isn't mentioned in the other reviews and looks like a useful upgrade.
I hope it's available as a firmware upgrade for the 5mkii:)

sdb123
26th August 2015, 07:41 PM
Link nicked from another website.

http://www.mirrorlessons.com/2015/08/25/olympus-om-d-e-m10-mark-ii-review/

Scroll down to "other features" and he shows a focus bracketing feature which isn't mentioned in the other reviews and looks like a useful upgrade.
I hope it's available as a firmware upgrade for the 5mkii:)

That's been mentioned in the articles I've read....there's a nice short video of it on the MU-43 forum too. Neat feature but important to note the images aren't stacked in-camera.

EDIT: apologies, it was the author of the mirrorlessons review that posted the video...it can be found in his review.

OM USer
26th August 2015, 08:52 PM
Do you have 'Set Home' set to the centre AF point position and assigned to a button? That way you only have to press one button to reset the AF point to your preferred position. Ron

I don't Ron, although thank you for the suggestion, as all my buttons are assigned for other functions. But a long press on the OK button in focus magnify mode does the trick. Still, I see no need for it to remember the focus point once the camera has been switched off as it is unlikely you are going to compose the exact same shot when you switch it on again (else you would not have switched it off!).

Finding the correct button to press can be a bit fiddly with the camera to your eye and the advantage of the using the screen to position the focus point is that not only can you position the focus point anywheer but you do not need to drop the camera and see where your thumb is as the feedback is right there in the viewfinder.

pdk42
26th August 2015, 10:17 PM
Focus stacking is a fantastic feature for anyone who does macro. Definitely a great addition!

Lakota
5th September 2015, 09:23 PM
Have ordered mine, don't think its available until the end of the month, currently have the EM5 and EM1 was going to get the EM5 Mk2 but after looking at several reviews decided to get this, ordered the silver version which will go nicely with my 45mm lens
think its going to be late 2016 before we hear about a new EM1
Roger

Ross the fiddler
5th September 2015, 10:22 PM
Have ordered mine, don't think its available until the end of the month, currently have the EM5 and EM1 was going to get the EM5 Mk2 but after looking at several reviews decided to get this, ordered the silver version which will go nicely with my 45mm lens
think its going to be late 2016 before we hear about a new EM1
Roger

Hope you enjoy it. Don't forget it uses a smaller battery (& charger) to your other cameras so any spares from them won't help for this model (which is the same with my Stylus 1 camera).

*chr

EDIIT: Oh dear! It seems I'm repeating myself here from an earlier post.

PeterBirder
5th September 2015, 10:49 PM
Hope you enjoy it. Don't forget it uses a smaller battery (& charger) to your other cameras so any spares from them won't help for this model (which is the same with my Stylus 1 camera).

*chr

EDIIT: Oh dear! It seems I'm repeating myself here from an earlier post.

Fortunately for me the BLS -50 appears to actually be the same as the BLS-1 and BLS-5 and I have a number of BLS-1s that I use for my E-PL1 and E-PM2.:)

*chr

Lakota
6th September 2015, 09:54 AM
I ordered a spare battery as I checked to see what battery it uses, so I will be ok, thanks for the advice though, not sure when it will be released, although I have seen some people already have it, they must work for Olympus, think it will be a nice camera to take anywhere

sdb123
6th September 2015, 11:00 AM
The UK release is 11 September. Some in the US have it already...I think it was Adorama who were shipping some copies early.

PeterBirder
6th September 2015, 10:22 PM
The UK release is 11 September. Some in the US have it already...I think it was Adorama who were shipping some copies early.

When I ordered mine from SRS they told me 16 September was more likely but who's counting? :D

The Instruction Manual can now be downloaded here http://www.olympus.co.jp/en/support/imsg/digicamera/download/manual/pen.cfm so those who have pre-ordered can start doing their homework.;)

Regards.*chr