PDA

View Full Version : Please help. Black screen !!!

de88ie
2nd August 2015, 07:18 PM
Please can I ask if anyone has experienced the monitor blacking out?
Was using my E-pl5 and when I zoomed in the screen went black. Thought it was a low battery issue but it has happened again this evening. Tried a different lens and no difference, still see my view then goes black when zooming in.
Other times can't see any view, it's black as soon as I turn camera on. Tried both lenses on E-pl1 and they work fine. Any help greatly appreciated. Thankyou. Oh and the lens caps are off ��
It's still under warranty, so if it's bad news it's ok.

Ralph Harwood
3rd August 2015, 09:11 AM
Hi there De88ie!

Are you using the zoom on the lens, or using the manual focus zoom function on the camera?

If it is when you are zooming the lens, it may be that the little pin which locks the lens in place isn't fully engageing, so a twisting motion is causing the lens to twist slightly and misaligning the contacts. When you fit the lens try not to hold down the lens release button as this can cause the pin to not fully engage.

If it is when you are using the MF zoom function, is it in low light? I find that in low light the MF zoom struggles to get enough light to be able to see anything, with the screen very dark if not black.

I hope this helps,

Cheers,

Ralph.

de88ie
3rd August 2015, 09:17 AM
Thank you for taking the time to reply.
The issue is when manual focusing. I did refit the lens wondering if the pin was the issue. I also tried a different lens. Same problem. Then I tried both the lenses on my E-pl1 body and they worked fine. Tried a reset but still not working.
Currently awaiting collection via currier to be returned. I have the option of repair or replacement. Not sure which to go for. Any advice welcome.

Wee man
3rd August 2015, 11:04 AM
If possible I would go for a replacement as it would not have any wear and tear, only thing write down any settings etc to allow you to go back to were you had been? Ed

Graham_of_Rainham
3rd August 2015, 11:13 AM
The screen will blank if the lens button is not fully engaged (out) or the contacts are not connecting properly. Well worth checking they are all clean and working ok.

Have a look at the settings for "Backlit LCD" Menu "gear" D

Also Live view boost may help if it's too dark to see the subject.

P75 of the manual.

de88ie
3rd August 2015, 01:27 PM
Thankyou. I searched the forum and checked all settings that could cause this problem. Checked button and pins to no avail. Awaiting collection for a repair or nearly new replacement. (the camera was a nearly new one when purchased).

Graham_of_Rainham
3rd August 2015, 03:02 PM
Sorry to hear its "busted", hopefully it will not be away to long.

*chr